AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 10:01:54 PM 
Started by Crash_It - Last post by Flint1979
I have never seen someone so butthurt over Illinois being called flat which is exactly what it is.

A strange “hill” to die upon, especially when said hill is so flat.
I don't even think Michigan is that hilly. It is in certain areas but not overall as a state I wouldn't say.

on: Today at 10:01:05 PM 
Started by wriddle082 - Last post by BlueOutback7
PA 63

Yep, kind of threw a softball with that one. It is indeed PA 63.

on: Today at 09:57:35 PM 
Started by Crash_It - Last post by Max Rockatansky
I have never seen someone so butthurt over Illinois being called flat which is exactly what it is.

A strange “hill” to die upon, especially when said hill is so flat. 

on: Today at 09:54:41 PM 
Started by ozarkman417 - Last post by kkt
How about air travel, with a layover in Canada but final destination beyond?  I have a trip planned for about three months from now.

on: Today at 09:54:30 PM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by Dirt Roads
Now that US-33 in West Virginia has been rerouted though Ravenswood, it hits Ripley (Jackson County), Spencer (Roane County), Glenville (Gilmer County), Weston (Lewis County), Buckhannon (Upshur County), Elkins (Randolph County) and Franklin (Pendleton County).  That makes it 7/8 since it also zips across tiny Calhoun County.

on: Today at 09:50:52 PM 
Started by Crash_It - Last post by Flint1979

on: Today at 09:46:40 PM 
Started by US71 - Last post by I-39
Any more news on this as of late?

on: Today at 09:46:23 PM 
Started by XamotCGC - Last post by adventurernumber1
Right now I have possession of several Rand McNally atlases, including the 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2022 editions (but not 2021 as I never stepped foot in a store for a year after the pandemic started, although I probably could have bought one online). I also have a 1940 Rand McNally atlas and 1970-era pocket atlas, both of which I acquired from eBay in 2014. I plan to keep all of these atlases for a long while, although if I continue my pattern of buying each new edition each year it'll pile up--but I'm no stranger to to that sort of thing so it should be no problem.  :biggrin:

Decades down the road these will definitely be valuable historical documents that reveal information about how the highway system looked in a specific year. I think there's incredible value in keeping these things around, although there may be certain situations where the costs outweigh the benefits in doing so. But for the foreseeable future I shall continue accumulating each year's atlas, and you can see little minor changes in year to year that are neat to observe (new roads such as US 301 TOLL in Delaware, new road expansions such as the progress on the outer (outer) Houston beltway, etc.).

Unfortunately, the original (2007-2009?) Rand McNally atlas (and subsequent atlas from 2010 from a different brand) that jumpstarted my interest and widespread knowledge in maps have been laid to rest long ago. I had truly wore them out to their very death; tons of pages were missing, the rest were ruined due to anything from water damage to rips to everything else, as I would literally take it everywhere I went.  :-D
But their memory remains, and their impact on me is permanent, so I am grateful for that.

on: Today at 09:45:14 PM 
Started by Great Lakes Roads - Last post by Scott5114
Safety and efficiency are two benefits of a freeway that have little to do with capacity.

on: Today at 09:44:32 PM 
Started by monty - Last post by I-39
US 31 between Indy and South Bend is fine as it is and doesn't need any "upgrades." It serves traffic just fine without the need to be a full freeway.

The section from Plymouth to Peru is fine as is. South of Peru, it does need at least the upgrades that are currently slated and a full freeway would not be unwarranted.

I’d say even between Kokomo and Peru is good, just remove the stoplights. A full freeway is only warranted between Indy and Kokomo at this time.

I'd beg to differ, usually about 70% of the traffic I'm with when I go to Purdue on 24 WB exits to 31 SB. In my experience 31 between Peru and Kokomo could use the freeway upgrade (AADT over 20k). I've only gone Plymouth-Peru twice and neither time did I think it needed to be a freeway then and there (AADT slightly over 10k).

Let me be clear, I do think the whole corridor should be a full freeway at some point. The current “free flow” plan makes no sense, there are way too many access points along the corridor that will cause hazards, particularly south of Peru. They already made South Bend to Plymouth, the Kokomo bypass and SR 38 to Indy freeway, why not fill in the gaps? Every other corner of the state has an Interstate link, why can’t South Bend?

That said, I do believe there are bigger priorities InDOT needs to focus on, such as widening I-65 and I-70 to 6+ lanes statewide. And the Plymouth to Peru segment is not urgently needed at this time as many have pointed out. As such, my suggestion is the priority right now should be converting the gap between SR 38 and Kokomo to full freeway. Finish the widening on I-65/70 and then come back and do the Kokomo to Peru and lastly, the Peru to Plymouth.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.