News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Songs where the famous version is a cover

Started by SteveG1988, October 06, 2014, 12:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

I bet most people know Michael Bolton's version of "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You" is more well-known than Laura Branigan's version.

US71

Quote from: golden eagle on March 23, 2022, 01:08:44 PM
I bet most people know Michael Bolton's version of "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You" is more well-known than Laura Branigan's version.

Michael who? Laura who?

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kenarmy

Quote from: Brandon on October 06, 2014, 12:46:36 PM
Quote from: Henry on October 06, 2014, 12:36:01 PM
And speaking of 1982, Dolly Parton had a hit song called I Will Always Love You. Of course, the Whitney Houston version from 1992 is by far the better-known one.

The song is older than 1982 (Best Little Whorehouse in Texas).  Parton originally penned it in 1973, releasing it in 1974.  It is, far, far better than Houston's screeching that permeates the cover.
"far better than Houston's screeching"?  :hmmm: el o el.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

golden eagle

Whitney Houston also recording two songs from her debut album that are more famous than the originals: Saving All My Love was originally by Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. in 1978. The Greatest Love of All was was recorded by George Benson in 1977.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: US71 on March 24, 2022, 07:15:42 PM

Michael who? Laura who?

Branigan had a brief posthumous resurgence in popularity when the St. Louis Blues adopted her song "Gloria" on their way to their Stanley Cup title in 2019. Apparently some element connected to the Blues had even inquired about having her perform, not knowing she had been dead for 15 years.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

D-Dey65

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 09, 2020, 02:04:55 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 09, 2020, 01:33:32 AM
This thread hasn't been active in 2 1/2 years, but since I just found out about it, I have to throw a couple of songs in.

"Take Me To the River," by The Talking Heads was originally by Al Green. The original rarely get any airplay on the radio.

"Police On My Back," by The Clash is far more well known than when it was originally sung by The Equals. In fact I remember some kid introducing me to the song, and I knew it was a cover tune, but I forgot who did it. He insisted it was a brand new song. I had no proof until I saw a liner note on a CD Box set specifically crediting the Equals for the song. Since then I listen to the original more than The Clash's version, and everybody else does the opposite.
Did you know that Foghat also did a cover of that Al Green song?
Even Lynda Carter covered that song. Hell, that cover was played on an episode of Young Sheldon.

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 10, 2020, 04:55:13 PM
Bob Dylan: (first the song, then the famous cover)

"Knocking on Heaven's Door" Guns n Roses
Before Guns n Roses, another heavy metal band named "Heaven" covered it. Am I really the only person who knows about this one?

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 01, 2022, 08:31:17 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 09, 2020, 02:04:55 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 09, 2020, 01:33:32 AM
This thread hasn't been active in 2 1/2 years, but since I just found out about it, I have to throw a couple of songs in.

"Take Me To the River," by The Talking Heads was originally by Al Green. The original rarely get any airplay on the radio.

"Police On My Back," by The Clash is far more well known than when it was originally sung by The Equals. In fact I remember some kid introducing me to the song, and I knew it was a cover tune, but I forgot who did it. He insisted it was a brand new song. I had no proof until I saw a liner note on a CD Box set specifically crediting the Equals for the song. Since then I listen to the original more than The Clash's version, and everybody else does the opposite.
Did you know that Foghat also did a cover of that Al Green song?
Even Lynda Carter covered that song. Hell, that cover was played on an episode of Young Sheldon.

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 10, 2020, 04:55:13 PM
Bob Dylan: (first the song, then the famous cover)

"Knocking on Heaven's Door" Guns n Roses
Before Guns n Roses, another heavy metal band named "Heaven" covered it. Am I really the only person who knows about this one?
Huh.  Not sure about Al Green not getting radio play, though.  More of a generational divide, I'd think.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

Here's the Lynda Carter version on Young Sheldon. I was going to add this to my previous post, but I got a reply too quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QKs9aJ80GQ

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kenarmy on March 28, 2022, 12:01:21 AM
Quote from: Brandon on October 06, 2014, 12:46:36 PM
Quote from: Henry on October 06, 2014, 12:36:01 PM
And speaking of 1982, Dolly Parton had a hit song called I Will Always Love You. Of course, the Whitney Houston version from 1992 is by far the better-known one.

The song is older than 1982 (Best Little Whorehouse in Texas).  Parton originally penned it in 1973, releasing it in 1974.  It is, far, far better than Houston's screeching that permeates the cover.
"far better than Houston's screeching"?  :hmmm: el o el.

She wrote it about leaving Porter Wagner's show so yeah, it is way older than 1982.  She was trying to get out of a contract a year earlier and break their business partnership, so she wrote that song to express her desire to leave the show, and as a way to get him to let her break her contract.  She said he was so moved he said "okay, you can leave the show, but I have to produce that song."

michravera

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 28, 2022, 02:34:48 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 24, 2022, 07:15:42 PM

Michael who? Laura who?

Branigan had a brief posthumous resurgence in popularity when the St. Louis Blues adopted her song "Gloria" on their way to their Stanley Cup title in 2019. Apparently some element connected to the Blues had even inquired about having her perform, not knowing she had been dead for 15 years.

I have seen a [a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItKtL3aTeWE"]clip[/a] from an Italian TV show in which Branigan does a bilingual duet of "Ti Amo" with its writer and original Humberto Tozzi, who also wrote and performed "Gloria". She does an English version of Gloria mostly alone later in the same clip.

cwf1701

I can think of a couple:

Elton John version of Pinball Wizard is better known than the version that was recorded by the Who for their album Tommy.
After The Fire had a version of Falco's Der Kommasar that is better known because its lyrics are in english. Falco's version was recorded in German.
Bob Dylan All Along the Watchtower is better known by 2 versions, one done by Jimmy Hendrix in the late 60s, and the other as part of the soundtrack to 2003 version of Battlestar Galactica .

Scott5114

Quote from: cwf1701 on April 01, 2022, 04:32:50 PM
Elton John version of Pinball Wizard is better known than the version that was recorded by the Who for their album Tommy.

I don't think this is true at all. I didn't even know Elton John had covered it until just now–I've only ever heard the Who's version.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 01, 2022, 04:54:27 PM

I don't think this is true at all. I didn't even know Elton John had covered it until just now–I've only ever heard the Who's version.
I agree that The Who's version is much more famous.

Also disagree with Falco being less popular...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on April 01, 2022, 05:00:40 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 01, 2022, 04:54:27 PM

I agree that The Who's version is much more famous.

It's no more true now than it was the first time he asserted this.

Quote from: cwf1701 on July 09, 2020, 02:53:33 PM
Elton John's version of "Pinball Wizard" is better known than the version done by The Who. Elton John version was done for the movie based on the Who's rock opera Tommy.

TheHighwayMan3561

Aerosmith's cover of Come Together isn't better known, but regardless still gets about 30-40% of the plays of that song. I wish it wouldn't.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Rothman on April 01, 2022, 08:35:18 AM
Huh.  Not sure about Al Green not getting radio play, though.  More of a generational divide, I'd think.
I hear his original version of "Let's Stay Together," which was covered by Tina Turner more than "Take Me to the River."

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 03, 2020, 03:09:46 PM
"MacArthur Park" written by Jimmy Weeb and performed by Richard Harris ended #2 in 1968 on Biilboard and was eclipsed by the disco cover made by Donna Summer and the parody known as Jurassic Park by Weird Al Yankovic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRwYQgk05DY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24jAy_T1U2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh4zvQfDhi0
It was also covered by The Queers, and even they can't make that song good.

:thumbdown:

And no, I'm not going to add a link to it.

mgk920

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but IMHO, the Blues Brothers' version of 'Rawhide' was far better (and more famous?) than the original theme song from the TV series.

Mike

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 27, 2022, 01:15:54 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 01, 2022, 08:35:18 AM
I hear his original version of "Let's Stay Together," which was covered by Tina Turner more than "Take Me to the River."

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 03, 2020, 03:09:46 PM
"MacArthur Park" written by Jimmy Weeb and performed by Richard Harris ended #2 in 1968 on Biilboard and was eclipsed by the disco cover made by Donna Summer and the parody known as Jurassic Park by Weird Al Yankovic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRwYQgk05DY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24jAy_T1U2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh4zvQfDhi0
It was also covered by The Queers, and even they can't make that song good.

:thumbdown:

And no, I'm not going to add a link to it.

Damn!  I guess I'll never have that recipe again!!

Rothman

Somebody left a cake out in the rain!
OH NO!
I was gonna eat that cake, but now it's all wet and I don't think I want any!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.