News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 10, 2022, 05:06:34 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 10, 2022, 04:51:50 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 12:01:10 PM
I've said it before:

If bicycles were invented today, people wouldn't be allowed to ride them.

I've used this example I'm the past: Checks. A check usually has your name, address, and account number, bank routing number on it. The stranger that you hand that check to now has all your bank information.

I can fill out a withdraw slip at that bank to take out money, and the only thing between me and that money may be the teller asking for ID.
Are you talking about present day, or 30 years ago?

If they were invented today.

abefroman329

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 10, 2022, 05:13:34 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 10, 2022, 05:06:34 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 10, 2022, 04:51:50 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 10, 2022, 12:01:10 PM
I've said it before:

If bicycles were invented today, people wouldn't be allowed to ride them.

I've used this example I'm the past: Checks. A check usually has your name, address, and account number, bank routing number on it. The stranger that you hand that check to now has all your bank information.

I can fill out a withdraw slip at that bank to take out money, and the only thing between me and that money may be the teller asking for ID.
Are you talking about present day, or 30 years ago?

If they were invented today.
I mean...did everything else happen on the same timeline and it's just checks that were invented today?

Rothman

Again, dumpster fire, I say, dumpster fire!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on May 10, 2022, 06:02:26 PM
Again, dumpster fire, I say, dumpster fire!
Sorry for disturbing your trash diving session...

wanderer2575

Attempting to get this thread back on track:

MDOT (Michigan) does it again:  VMS before a four-way interchange, and the one leg for which information is given is the one not accessible.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

MCRoads

Sigh... and redundant, to boot!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

Quote from: MCRoads on June 06, 2022, 10:47:19 PM

Translation:  Yes, there is enough highway capacity for you to change lanes, and there's nothing physically preventing you from doing it, and we know you really want to, and we admit it's a common thing for drivers to do, but we think you'll agree that it's a bad idea just because of the design we chose to paint the road with.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

I just encountered a ground-mounted VMS in downtown Lawrence, MA that cycled through ten slides. It was five in English and five in Spanish (Lawrence is bilingual), but even a five-slide VMS is supposed to be discouraged.

It was about motorcycles requiring registration and certain types of vehicles (such as four-wheelers) being banned entirely in Lawrence.

The location was here, meaning you can't whiz past it (note the do not enter sign), but still...
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Lukeisroads

webny99

Rochester-area VMS's today had something like this:

(A)
I-490 EASTBOUND
2 PM TO 4 PM
EXITS 10 TO 25

(B)
HEAVY TRAFFIC EXPECTED
PREPARE TO STOP

Exit 10 is west of downtown and Exit 25 is NY 31F (the exit for St. John Fisher College), so my first thought was that maybe the heavy traffic expected was for Bills training camp. But no, it turns out that starts at 9:45 AM. So I'm not sure what's going on, but whatever it is, it's big enough to catch NYSDOT's attention. We'll see if the same message is still up tomorrow.

jeffandnicole

An unusually deep-thinking VMS statement from NJDOT today...

IF YOU FEEL DIFFERENT
YOU DRIVE DIFFERENT

CoreySamson

Quote from: CoreySamson on February 14, 2021, 07:46:22 PM
I posted an intersection in the redesign this intersection thread (288B @ Wilkins in Angleton, TX for those interested) because it's honestly not great. And it appears TxDot attempted to solve it ... with a portable VMS. It said something like this:

HIGH CRASH VOLUME
INTERSECTION AHEAD
--------------------------
USE CAUTION

Earlier in the pandemic, I saw another VMS there that said something about social distancing and masks, but I don't really feel that counts in the cultural climate of today.
It seems that the town has decided to make this VMS their personal city messaging board for city events. From what I've seen of it in the last year, it's advertised everything from a daddy-daughter dance to a July 4th fireworks show.

I'm guessing it's there since that intersection backs up frequently enough that drivers are basically a captive audience.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

MCRoads

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 09:41:50 AM

Translation:  Yes, there is enough highway capacity for you to change lanes, and there's nothing physically preventing you from doing it, and we know you really want to, and we admit it's a common thing for drivers to do, but we think you'll agree that it's a bad idea just because of the design we chose to paint the road with.

Actual translation: That is a toll lane. Don't cross those lines, otherwise you will be paying a big fine for toll violations.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Billy F 1988

Quote from: MCRoads on August 23, 2022, 01:13:02 AM
Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 09:41:50 AM

Actual translation: That is a toll lane. Don't cross those lines, otherwise you will be paying a big fine for toll violations.

Actual actual translation: STAY IN YOUR OWN DAMN LANE!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Kniwt

OK, just spotted this on I-40 in California. I guess the conversation at Caltrans District HQ went something like this:
"Let's add Goffs Road to that VMS!"
"What's that again?" "Goffs Road." "Got it, boss. Golf's."

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 23, 2022, 05:03:02 PM
[empty post after pic removal]

Ha, I know this happened in a Catalan speaking area of Spain, although I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact location yet.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

DrSmith

One I saw in Vermont the other day:

TEXTING WHILE DRIVING
OH CELL NO!

Rothman

Saw this creepy thing in a couple of different places in NY a week or so ago:

SEE THE SIGN
OBEY THE SIGN
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kirbykart

Quote from: Rothman on September 05, 2022, 12:43:12 PM
Saw this creepy thing in a couple of different places in NY a week or so ago:

SEE THE SIGN
OBEY THE SIGN
Haven't seen that one (yet). I personally like the "DRIVE SOBER OR GET PULLED OVER" ones I saw on the Thruway recently.

US71

I don't remember the exact message (the business has closed), but a Flea Market /Antique Shop in Alma, AR had a sign in their parking lot advertising their store.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jay8g

Multiple portable VMSes around Port Angeles last weekend:

CLALLAM
COUNTY
SHERIFF

NOW
HIRING
DEPUTIES

JoePCool14

Quote from: jay8g on September 11, 2022, 03:22:34 AM
Multiple portable VMSes around Port Angeles last weekend:

CLALLAM
COUNTY
SHERIFF

NOW
HIRING
DEPUTIES

Imagine if they changed a couple words on that:

CLALLAM
COUNTY
JAIL

NOW
HIRING
INMATES

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

TheHighwayMan3561

Today's MnDOT entry:

SKOL!
DESIGNATED DRIVERS

I'm sure that was extra sore for the local Packers contingent today.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.