AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Poll

Should the Nova Scotia DOT turn its sequential exit numbering system to a kilometer-based one?

Absolutely! It's a must for travelers and truckers.
- 20 (83.3%)
Wait a minute! This is a dry expense, that will give nothing back to the government.
- 2 (8.3%)
No way! Keep the exit numbers as is!
- 0 (0%)
I don't f***in' care!
- 2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: August 13, 2018, 03:44:20 AM

Author Topic: Kilometer-based exit numbering system in Nova Scotia  (Read 6191 times)

Richard3

• Euhhh... if you don't mind, we try to work, here.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:32:37 PM
Kilometer-based exit numbering system in Nova Scotia
« on: July 14, 2018, 03:44:20 AM »

All across Canada (I mean in all provinces with an Interstate-level highway system), the exit numbers are based on the distance between the exit and the beginning of the highway.  That's what we call a kilometer-based exit numbering system (or a mile-based system in USA).  It's like this in all provinces... except Nova Scotia.

The highway system, in Nova Scotia (also knowned as the 100-series highways), is a copycat of the Interstate highway system in place in New England in the 1970's, at the moment the NS government launched their highway system, and at this moment, in New England states, Interstate highways exit numbers were sequential; first exit was exit 1, second was exit 2, and so on... whatever the distance between exits.  As all the other states developed their Interstate highways on a mile-based exit numbering system, that simplifies trip planning, the New England states changed their system for mile-based, except a couple of states that are still resisting, trying to keep their obsolete sequential system.

So, do you think Nova Scotia DOT should turn its sequential exit numbering system to a kilometer-based one?

The poll opens on July 14th, and will be open for 30 days.  You can vote only once, but you can change your vote until closing.  Results will be published at the closing, or ASAP after.
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
Re: Kilometer-based exit numbering system in Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 09:21:34 PM »

Doesn't Newfoundland use sequential numbers as well?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 11:54:49 PM »

One at a time...

ghYHZ

• Last Login: November 21, 2021, 08:08:36 PM
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 07:41:33 AM »

Yes!......locally for example when the TCH 104 Antigonish Bypass opened we lost Exit 34 and now east of town toward Cape Breton a new interchange is under construction at the Paq’tekek Mi’kmaq Nation.

http://paqtnkek.ca/our-community/major-project-updates/land-designation-vote/

It’s between at grade intersection Exit 36A and interchange Exit 37…..and when the planned twinning through this area is done…..current at grade intersections at Heatherton: 35B, 36 and 36A will probably become 2 interchanges. (possibly one if an old bridge (removed) on Heatherton Village Rd (originally Trunk 4) is replaced.

https://goo.gl/maps/zDLMiNLDqQL2   

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 11:56:58 AM »

The use of sequential in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland strikes me as odd given how their systems are a mix of freeway and non-freeway.  Particularly in Nova Scotia (which I think has the ambition of making it most/all freeway eventually), it seems that there's a higher likelihood of exit number addition/removal than literally anywhere else in North America that still uses sequential.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 02:48:46 AM
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 12:40:43 PM »

I would love it if the Nova Scotia Department for Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal (I think that is its formal name) did the following:

*  Changed from sequential to distance-based exit numbering, notwithstanding the possibility of km-post offset due to substantial relocation off existing alignments

*  Stopped using BidX to distribute tender drawings for construction and instead made them available for free download

*  Rendered cardinal directions and auxiliary designations on signs in white "small caps" on green rather than patched tabs
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

yakra

• Last Login: February 13, 2024, 06:39:12 PM
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 02:12:49 AM »

The alphabet soup there can get a little silly. What's with having Exit 42A sometimes after, but also frequently before, Exit 42?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Richard3

• Euhhh... if you don't mind, we try to work, here.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:32:37 PM
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 07:42:07 AM »

...good question!

UPDATE: After a little check on Google Maps, I must admit you're absolutely right. My bad!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:32:41 PM by Richard3 »
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:06 PM
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 04:11:33 PM »

I found it odd that Nova Scotia has sequential exit numbers. Does anyone know if they will ever convert to kilometer-based exits? I think they should.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.