News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Concrete, a Centuries-Old Material, Gets a New Recipe

Started by cpzilliacus, August 12, 2020, 02:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

New York Times: Concrete, a Centuries-Old Material, Gets a New Recipe

QuoteOn any given day, Central Concrete, in San Jose, Calif., does what concrete companies have been doing for centuries: combining sand, gravel, water and cement to create the slurry that is used in construction.

QuoteBut Central – one of a handful of companies at the forefront of a movement to make a greener concrete – is increasingly experimenting with some decidedly new mixtures.

QuoteIn one part of the plant, carbon dioxide from a chemical gas company is injected into the concrete, locking in that greenhouse gas and keeping it out of the atmosphere, where it would contribute to global warming. Elsewhere, engineers tinker with the recipe for concrete, trying out substitutes for some of the cement, which makes up about 15 percent of the mix and functions as the glue that holds it all together. Cement, however, is also responsible for most of concrete's carbon emissions – emissions so high that some have abandoned concrete for alternative building materials like mass timber and bamboo.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kphoger

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 12, 2020, 02:04:11 AM

carbon dioxide from a chemical gas company is injected into the concrete, locking in that greenhouse gas and keeping it out of the atmosphere,

What, forever?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on August 12, 2020, 11:57:35 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 12, 2020, 02:04:11 AM

carbon dioxide from a chemical gas company is injected into the concrete, locking in that greenhouse gas and keeping it out of the atmosphere,

What, forever?

Maybe until the concrete is ripped up and pulverized, then the CO2 bubbles could leak out.  I suppose a small amount could leak any time the concrete cracks.

kphoger

To me, it's like throwing your trash into a lake:  Look, I got rid of it!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

skluth

Quote from: kphoger on August 12, 2020, 01:09:20 PM
To me, it's like throwing your trash into a lake:  Look, I got rid of it!

That or a shell game. Look, it's not here. Not here either!

kalvado

with primary components of cement being C2S and C3S - alite and belite - I cannot see how one can add CO2 early on without compromising structural properties. Heck, cement firing releases bound CO2 to begin with.... Until they are using excess of C in the mixture - but how would that affect things?  Of course, both alite and belite release CH which eventually absorbs CO2, but that happens during hardening and aging.
Expedite aging of concrete, maybe that is the main purpose?   

kalvado

As a side note:
First pass of Biosphere 2 experiment failed because structural concrete absorbed CO2 from the atmosphere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere_2
So concrete aging may do interesting things...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.