News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Quebec's Highways

Started by Stojko, February 04, 2010, 06:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Interstatefan78 on August 12, 2013, 01:49:39 PM
Quote from: Chris on February 22, 2010, 05:39:22 AM
Freewaybrent made a nice video of A-73 in Quebec.

Watch it in HD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiPQgoTt84s
Saw his video and from one of Freewaybrent's annotation A-73 is suppose to go to Maine and it's supposed to go to Saguenay 200km north of Quebec since Saguenay is a tourist attraction for Americans living in ME,NH,VT
QC 175 heads north to Saguenay and that's how it's going to stay for the indeterminate future. No reason to make it a full autoroute, it works fine as a divided highway with sparse intersections. (Not that an Autoroute couldn't have at-grade connections, so if they haven't made it A-73 now, they never will.) They also aren't extending it any farther than their latest project unless Maine brings a freeway up the US 201 corridor. In other words, A-73 is never growing beyond its current length.

webfil

Quote from: Steve on August 14, 2013, 10:47:28 PMIn other words, A-73 is never growing beyond its current length.

There is a 18-kilometre section currently under construction from Beauceville to Saint-Georges.

Alps

Quote from: webfil on August 15, 2013, 01:35:20 AM
Quote from: Steve on August 14, 2013, 10:47:28 PMIn other words, A-73 is never growing beyond its current length.

There is a 18-kilometre section currently under construction from Beauceville to Saint-Georges.
Yes, I accounted for that in my rundown.

AsphaltPlanet

A couple of new photos from A-30 west of Montreal:

More and larger:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/PQ/A/30/Page1.html
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

ghYHZ

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on September 21, 2013, 06:55:47 PM
A couple of new photos from A-30 west of Montreal:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

More and larger:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/PQ/A/30/Page1.html

Another great set of photos......thanks for posting!

webfil

Viau bridge, 1948, as seen from Pont-Viau (now Laval). Source : Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec.

Contrary to the popular belief, Viau (or Ahuntsic) bridge was, in 1847, the first bridge built to provide access to Montréal island; Victoria Bridge was open in 1859, 10 years after Lachapelle and Delisle-et-Lemoyne (long lost wooden bridge west of actual Papineau-Leblanc) bridges inauguration.

The first Viau bridge consisted in an impressive layout of wooden archs and covered spans.

Circa 1860, looking towards Sault-au-Récollet (now Montréal). Source : Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec.

The actual steel and concrete structure over Prairies river dates from 1930. The deck was wholly rebuilt in 2010-2012, and enlarged to 5 lanes. It carries route 335 and has seen 29 000 vehicles per day in 2010, a significant decrease from the 36 000 passages in 2008. The Orange line of the Montréal metro has been extended to the other shore inbetween; suburban bus routes now end at Laval stations and parking is available for commuters.

Actual view of the bridge, from (deducted) same point of view as 1948. Source : Google Street View.

Alps

Quote from: webfil on September 27, 2013, 07:08:10 PM
The first Viau bridge consisted in an impressive layout of wooden archs and covered spans.

Circa 1860, looking towards Sault-au-Récollet (now Montréal). Source : Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec.
They need to build more of these.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

webfil

webfil

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on October 05, 2013, 08:46:14 AM
The extension of PQ-138 to Kegaska is opened!:)
http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/est-quebec/2013/09/26/011-cote-nord-pont-natashquan.shtml
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/Montreal/Audio/ID/2409043379/

Inauguration without any government delegate? Not even a deputy minister? The local M.P.? I think that means : «no, we will not put a single cent for a further extension»...

Congrats anyway to the Innu people, who are part of Construction Atik.

webfil

Here are some 1970 pictures of A-25 Hochelaga interchange (now exit 4) in Montréal.

That interchange was built to accomodate movements between A-25 and A-20, although A-20 never reached that point ― Ville-Marie autoroute was never extended west of Papineau street. It has been assigned A-720 spur number, Trans-Canada Highway was finally rerouted onto A-40/Métropolitaine. A 2.9-kilometres expressway extends west of Hochelaga interchange since the mid-90's; the lanes now pointing southwest used to veer and connect directly to Hochelaga street in a fashion shown on the map below. The construction of Souligny Avenue expressway and surface streets reconfiguration were brought up as a solution to divert the flow of trucks from the local street network when transiting between Louis-Hippolyte-La Fontaine bridge-tunnel and the Port of Montréal, on Notre-Dame street.

A-25 now carries 133,000 vehicles per day between Hochelaga interchange and the Tunnel, while Souligny Avenue expressway carries 44,000 vpd (2010 studies).

Black and white pictures are from Henri Rémillard, 1970, via BAnQ. August 2011 pictures are taken directly from Google Streetview and match closely the same point of view.

Source : 31-H-12-200-0102 topo map, Gouvernement du Québec, 1978 via Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ)

Corner of Tellier and Currateau streets. Looking northwest. Note the R-2 shield in the background.

Rue Hochelaga, over A-25 SB exit 4. The overpass has been demolished and completely rebuilt with additionnal lanes in 2010.

Rue de Boucherville, over A-25. Looking northwest. Not that quiet anymore.

AsphaltPlanet

Some new pics of the Autoroute 5 extension north of Ottawa/Gatineau, taken last June:

More and larger:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/PQ/A/5/index.html
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Dr Frankenstein

No photo yet (I shall remedy that tomorrow night next week), but Boulevard Champlain in Quebec City is now actually signed as route 136, at least on the new BGSes on A-73 SB.

Alps

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on December 11, 2013, 05:22:33 PM
No photo yet (I shall remedy that tomorrow night), but Boulevard Champlain in Quebec City is now actually signed as route 136, at least on the new BGSes on A-73 SB.
:wow:

webfil

A few more months and we'll get a second R-136, this one in Montréal designating obsolete A-720, Notre-Dame, Dickson and Souligny between A-15 and A-25.

Also, Dubuc Bridge (R-175, between R-372 and R-172) has been closed due to a fire on a scaffold under the deck. The bridge linking downtown Saguenay (Chicoutimi) to the northern suburbs is in an uncertain state regarding the steel properties.

Pedestrian can either walk the Sainte-Anne bridge (which seemed to be quite popular today) and ride free bus shuttles or use the 42-km detour via the Chute-à-Caron bridge linking Arvida to Shipshaw. I doubt that the former will be very popular tomorrow, with lows in the -10°F/-25°C, high around 0°F/-20°C.

The closest bridge, the Aluminum Bridge, is ironically closed for major maintenance. Dubuc bridge is the first automobile bridge upstream Saguenay river. It has more trafic than any leg of A-70.

CBC has more info on that (and a video of the blaze) : http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/saguenay-s-dubuc-bridge-to-remain-closed-thursday-morning-1.2460007

Alps

Quote from: webfil on December 11, 2013, 09:43:33 PM

Also, Dubuc Bridge (R-175, between R-372 and R-172) has been closed due to a fire on a scaffold under the deck. The bridge linking downtown Saguenay (Chicoutimi) to the northern suburbs is in an uncertain state regarding the steel properties.

Pedestrian can either walk the Sainte-Anne bridge (which seemed to be quite popular today) and ride free bus shuttles or use the 42-km detour via the Chute-à-Caron bridge linking Arvida to Shipshaw. I doubt that the former will be very popular tomorrow, with lows in the -10°F/-25°C, high around 0°F/-20°C.

The closest bridge, the Aluminum Bridge, is ironically closed for major maintenance. Dubuc bridge is the first automobile bridge upstream Saguenay river. It has more trafic than any leg of A-70.

CBC has more info on that (and a video of the blaze) : http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/saguenay-s-dubuc-bridge-to-remain-closed-thursday-morning-1.2460007
*Aluminium Bridge, no? ;)

I wonder if Pont Ste-Anne could be repaved and reopened to vehicles to help compensate? It could either be one lane each way, or just the one paved lane that is currently there going in peak direction, or two lanes both going in peak direction.

webfil

Quote from: Steve on December 11, 2013, 09:55:34 PM*Aluminium Bridge, no? ;)
Whatevs... It's made of It, it is nearing 65 years old and it needed major repairs. There is no "I" in such art work :P

Quote from: Steve on December 11, 2013, 09:55:34 PMI wonder if Pont Ste-Anne could be repaved and reopened to vehicles to help compensate? It could either be one lane each way, or just the one paved lane that is currently there going in peak direction, or two lanes both going in peak direction.

It is paved, only not plowed. I don't know if the structure could bear any vehicular trafic, though. I think it is quite in good shape, as it was closed to cars in 1972 ― its lifespan was less than 39 years! For now, Bagotville soldiers are installing tents on all the bridge's length to ensure pedestrians are protected from the raw and intense cold temperatures, wind and humidity.

Saguenay city put up a "crisis cell" to adjust the services according to the needs. Add that to the aditionnal Société de Transport du Saguenay buses (they rented a couple of them from transport companies and transit authorities all over Eastern Québec), you get a >100k$ bill per day the bridge is closed, according to the mayor.

Test results for Dubuc bridge will be made public on Sunday. We'll see then what's the plan.

Duke87

Wait, so what's happening with A-720 exactly? Is it being modified in any way or are they just changing the designation so they can say "look! We don't have an Autoroute going through downtown Montreal, I swear!"?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Quote from: Duke87 on December 12, 2013, 09:05:19 PM
Wait, so what's happening with A-720 exactly? Is it being modified in any way or are they just changing the designation so they can say "look! We don't have an Autoroute going through downtown Montreal, I swear!"?
Maybe they wanted a continuous number for the whole corridor and MTQ refused to make it 720. Or 136 will begin where A-720 ends and something got lost in translation.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dr Frankenstein

webfil

Dubuc Bridge was reopen this morning, with one lane per direction, restricted to vehicles under 4,500 kg (10,000 lbs).

Temporary services are still up (tents on Sainte-Anne Bridge, free bus shuttles, etc.). Access to the bridge from the north is quite harsh, as larger vehicles have to go through a weight station before hitting the bridge, and smaller vehicles have to use local street in order to bypass that station.

MTQ is currently installing reinforcement plates to solidify parts that were hit by fire. Here are workers showing the plates and the nuts to the transportation minister. Pictures are from Radio-Canada.

EDIT : The bridge will be completely reopen to all trafic tomorrow.

webfil

Here is a video shot of the newly opened A-73 Saint-Georges bypass. The 4-lane divided freeway, consisting of a partial Saint-George bypass, extends northward from R-204 up to the new 74e Rue, a 4-lane divided expressway (some grade separation, some at-grade crossings) linking A-73 to R-173.

Video : http://www.beauce.tv/regarder.php?vId=4351 The video covers 74e Rue first, then A-73 south.
Map : http://goo.gl/maps/pA6IB

Alps

Quote from: webfil on January 14, 2014, 02:26:30 PM
Here is a video shot of the newly opened A-73 Saint-Georges bypass. The 4-lane divided freeway, consisting of a partial Saint-George bypass, extends northward from R-204 up to the new 74e Rue, a 4-lane divided expressway (some grade separation, some at-grade crossings) linking A-73 to R-173.

Video : http://www.beauce.tv/regarder.php?vId=4351 The video covers 74e Rue first, then A-73 south.
Map : http://goo.gl/maps/pA6IB
Once A-73 is complete to here, all I can see is one more 3 to 5 km segment to complete the bypass around St-Georges. QC has no reason to go any farther until Maine does something to connect, which there just isn't a need for. The proposed trans-Maine corridor might actually be the genesis of the remaining freeway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.