News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Newfoundland questions

Started by CapeCodder, September 28, 2018, 03:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

I have a few questions regarding the highways of Newfoundland and Labrador.

1. Is it true that there are NO services along both the road to Harbour Breton (NL 360) and the road to Burgeo (NL 480)?

2. Did Newfoundland have a different numbering scheme at some point and when did it change? I saw in a 1969 Texaco atlas that the highways on the island had different numbers than they do now.

3. Why are the numbers the way they are? It seems like each subregion of The Rock has a consecutive digit to the nearest ten, i.e., SW/W NL has routes in the 400's, like 420, 430 and so on and they get lower as you go east. they also like to go by 10's.

kphoger

(1)  It depends on what you mean...  I see on the map that you could deviate into Milltown for gas and very basic supplies; that's a 12km deviation en-route to Harbour Breton.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

oscar

Quote from: CapeCodder on September 28, 2018, 03:26:04 PM
1. Is it true that there are NO services along both the road to Harbour Breton (NL 360) and the road to Burgeo (NL 480)?

When I was last there in 2011 and photographed the fuel warning signs for each, the NL 360 sign said no services for 129km, but there are two communities south of there before you get to Harbour Breton at ~km200. NL 480's sign said no services for 147km, in Burgeo near the highway's south end.

3. Why are the numbers the way they are? It seems like each subregion of The Rock has a consecutive digit to the nearest ten, i.e., SW/W NL has routes in the 400's, like 420, 430 and so on and they get lower as you go east. they also like to go by 10's.

The routes are indeed clustered by region, with the Avalon region in the SE getting the xx and 1xx routes, the northwest and southwest getting the 4xx routes, and 2xx (including but not limited to the Burin Peninsula) and 3xx routes in-between. Labrador gets the 5xx routes, with 500 and 510 for parts of the Trans-Labrador Highway, as well as several branch routes from 503 to 520.

There are plenty of routes with a last digit other than zero, often branches from major routes ending in zero.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.