News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Nevada

Started by gonealookin, November 27, 2018, 11:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

Not to get too political, but Nevada also is a term limits state, so I think legislators have little incentive to think long term.   

roadfro

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 02, 2024, 05:15:50 AMNot to get too political, but Nevada also is a term limits state, so I think legislators have little incentive to think long term. 
At least as far as state legislature, the term limit is 12 years for both the Assembly (two-year terms) and Senate (four-year terms). There is also a non-zero number of legislators that have termed out in the Assembly and then were elected to the Senate. So I don't necessarily agree that there's little incentive for long-term thinking from a term limits perspective.

What is more limiting, and could potentially induce less long-term thought, is that Nevada's legislature only meets every other year. So for Assembly members, it's essentially a one-and-done if they don't get re-elected.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

For what it's worth, all of my interactions with the state government so far have been overwhelmingly positive. The lady I worked with at the DMV to get my license and registration transferred was probably the nicest government official I've ever worked with. I checked my voter registration and I'm in the system already, two days after registration—that's lightning-fast compared to what I was used to in Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cl94

Western government employees are shockingly nice by eastern standards. Of course, we're also (generally) paid well by eastern standards and often have better flexibility.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2024, 05:12:59 PMWestern government employees are shockingly nice by eastern standards. Of course, we're also (generally) paid well by eastern standards and often have better flexibility.

I've yet to have a bad experience at NYSDMV, but I only moved to NY after improvements were made twenty-plus years ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadfro

Oopsies...

KRNV - Ask Joe: NDOT says mistake on new sound walls will stay

New sound walls on the Pyramid Highway widening project have a few panels where the design inadvertently doesn't line up.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

Quote from: roadfro on May 10, 2024, 11:24:08 AMOopsies...

New sound walls on the Pyramid Highway widening project have a few panels where the design inadvertently doesn't line up.
Less than a week after that story aired, and apparently with some public outcry from the previous story, NDOT is now considering replacing some of the sound wall panels (or better obscuring them with landscaping).

KRNV - Ask Joe: NDOT to consider replacing sections of mismatched sound walls

gonealookin

The formal name of the new bridge over the Colorado River near Laughlin and Bullhead City is the "Silver Copper Crossing".  The Clark County Commission decided the name, and I suppose they had the privilege of naming because the Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada put in over half the funding for the bridge.  Official opening with morning ceremonies is on schedule for June 7 (free Pinkbox Doughnuts!).

http://business.laughlinchamber.com/news/details/schedule-of-events-announced-for-june-7-opening-of-additional-bridge-linking-laughlin-bullhead-city

It had been determined that the bridge would not be named after a person, which perhaps resulted in a bland sounding name but also avoided the inevitable argument over whether somebody's favorite politician deserved to have the structure named after him or her.

US 395

Quote from: roadfro on May 17, 2024, 11:16:40 AM

Less than a week after that story aired, and apparently with some public outcry from the previous story, NDOT is now considering replacing some of the sound wall panels (or better obscuring them with landscaping).

I read up on the plans for Pyramid and I guess they're looking on wanting to build out a freeway to Spanish Springs from 395 around the Parr/Dandini exit. I'm just hoping the lane expansion on 395 will accomodate the future interchange.

cl94

Quote from: US 395 on May 28, 2024, 05:36:25 PM

I read up on the plans for Pyramid and I guess they're looking on wanting to build out a freeway to Spanish Springs from 395 around the Parr/Dandini exit. I'm just hoping the lane expansion on 395 will accomodate the future interchange.

It will. The 395 widening is filling in the median. The Parr/Dandini interchange project was designed with the connector in mind.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Quillz

I like the larger mile markers Nevada uses. Enhanced markers, I think they're called.

According to the DOT, they were first installed in 2017. The only thing that I find hard to read is the numbers. They should be vertical, as most mile markers are. Rotating them makes them harder to read at a glance, even if that's how the old ones looked. Otherwise, they are great, and I like the use of black-on-white instead of white-on-green.

But I noticed plenty of the older style mile markers are still in use, especially on some of the more remote routes like NV-266.

Scott5114

I like the sideways numbers. They're quirky, and not really all that hard to read to me. Chances are any time you needed to actually refer to one, you'd probably be stopped in front of it anyway. The one thing I wish they'd do is underline the number on mileposts 6 and 9, because it's impossible to tell which is which unless you just happen to have seen enough of them to know that the top is to the right.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadfro

Quote from: Quillz on May 29, 2024, 04:20:12 AMI like the larger mile markers Nevada uses. Enhanced markers, I think they're called.

<snipped photo>

According to the DOT, they were first installed in 2017. The only thing that I find hard to read is the numbers. They should be vertical, as most mile markers are. Rotating them makes them harder to read at a glance, even if that's how the old ones looked. Otherwise, they are great, and I like the use of black-on-white instead of white-on-green.

But I noticed plenty of the older style mile markers are still in use, especially on some of the more remote routes like NV-266.
More on the newer Nevada mileposts in this thread: New style of mileposts in test trials on Nevada highways.

That thread dates to mid-2014, when the enhanced mileposts were first in trials. 2017 might have been when NDOT adopted them as a standard practice.

Enhanced mileposts were most often installed during repaving/reconstruction or sign replacement projects early on. More recently, it seems NDOT made a bit of a concerted effort to install enhanced mileposts on significant stretches of the more highly traveled rural routes even outside of accompanying road projects (for example, at this point, they're used on almost the entirety of US 95 between Hawthorne and Las Vegas). Less traveled routes, like SR 266, may only get them installed if there's a project happening.

My only quibble with the enhanced mileposts, and I stated this in the previous thread, is the rotated mile numbers. They could've made the numbers upright, and maybe just rotated in the few instances of county mileages over 99 (which only happens in less than 10 places across the entire state highway system).

cl94

Yeah, as far as why they aren't everywhere, NDOT generally only installs them when they do a major resurfacing or sign project. And some districts/maintenance offices are far more likely to install them than others. District 2, for example, only has them in a few locations, while parts of Districts 1 and 3 have them everywhere. Some maintenance offices have made efforts to install them along the major routes apart from other work, others have not.

Of course, there are also a handful of erroneous EMMs out there. US 395 alongside White Lake has white enhanced mile markers with a county code and...statewide mileage. Yeah. Both directions have a few of them and they were installed with the resurfacing/resigning project that occurred last fall.

Quillz

Quote from: roadfro on May 29, 2024, 11:17:33 PM
Quote from: Quillz on May 29, 2024, 04:20:12 AMI like the larger mile markers Nevada uses. Enhanced markers, I think they're called.

<snipped photo>

More on the newer Nevada mileposts in this thread: New style of mileposts in test trials on Nevada highways.

That thread dates to mid-2014, when the enhanced mileposts were first in trials. 2017 might have been when NDOT adopted them as a standard practice.

Enhanced mileposts were most often installed during repaving/reconstruction or sign replacement projects early on. More recently, it seems NDOT made a bit of a concerted effort to install enhanced mileposts on significant stretches of the more highly traveled rural routes even outside of accompanying road projects (for example, at this point, they're used on almost the entirety of US 95 between Hawthorne and Las Vegas). Less traveled routes, like SR 266, may only get them installed if there's a project happening.

My only quibble with the enhanced mileposts, and I stated this in the previous thread, is the rotated mile numbers. They could've made the numbers upright, and maybe just rotated in the few instances of county mileages over 99 (which only happens in less than 10 places across the entire state highway system).
Oddly enough 266 is where I noticed them! Only the 2x range seemed to lack them. 

US 395

Quote from: cl94 on May 28, 2024, 11:29:14 PM
Quote from: US 395 on May 28, 2024, 05:36:25 PM

It will. The 395 widening is filling in the median. The Parr/Dandini interchange project was designed with the connector in mind.

That's good. A third freeway in the Reno area.
I don't know if it's just me but according to the plans, the interchange is a partial one since there are direct ramps from southbound connector traffic to 395 southbound and northbound 395 to the connector northbound. Maybe they didn't see the need for direct ramps going the other way?

cl94

Quote from: US 395 on May 30, 2024, 11:31:37 AMThat's good. A third freeway in the Reno area.
I don't know if it's just me but according to the plans, the interchange is a partial one since there are direct ramps from southbound connector traffic to 395 southbound and northbound 395 to the connector northbound. Maybe they didn't see the need for direct ramps going the other way?

Undetermined. Some proposals show a full interchange, some partial. The road will first be built as a surface expressway a la CC 215, so a full interchange for the freeway is over a decade away. Full freeway conversion is the last planned phase. There is another arterial planned that would handle traffic between the North Valleys and Spanish Springs, so it may be unnecessary.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.