News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Clinching Roads with Ferries

Started by vdeane, July 29, 2019, 01:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxfree

I would say that, effectively, you have to take the ferry crossing.  Even if it isn't a road, you have to follow it in order to clinch a highway if the highway is designated along it.  But besides any of that, you would still have to drive up to the loading point in order to clinch the road, but you would not be able to do that unless boarding the ferry.  To me, that's like clinching a highway that crosses a border or restricted gate.  I would consider turning around at the last available point to be a near-clinch.  If the highway doesn't go over the ferry and you drive up to the landing yard and turn around, that's a near-clinch.

While researching TX 87, I found that the highway was designated up to one ferry landing, and then starting from the other landing.  It isn't designated in between.  But on the Statewide Planning Map, TxDOT shows the route over the water, including distance from origin numbers.  Even more interesting, I noticed that they consider the Intracoastal Waterway to be State Highway 8000.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

cpzilliacus

Northern Europe has ferries that are part of the "E" system of highways.   

I think all are operated by the private sector.

E39 crosses the Skagerak between Hirsthals, Denmark and Kristiansand, Norway. 

E18 crosses the Baltic between Kapellskär, Sweden and NÃ¥dendal, Finland.

E20 crosses the Baltic between Stockholm, Sweden and Tallinn, Estonia or alternatively between Kapellskär, Sweden and Paldiski, Estonia.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

CNGL-Leudimin

NÃ¥dendal is better known as Naantali. All these ferries except the Stockholm-Tallinn one are featured in Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Now, good luck trying to get from Barcelona, Spain to Mazara del Vallo, Sicily, Italy. Supposedly E90 takes that route, but there is no direct ferry between those two places.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.