News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Dallas: Bids opened for elimination of South Central Expressway freeway (US 175)

Started by MaxConcrete, December 04, 2019, 07:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

Let's make this what it is. US-175 freeway was rerouted to intersect with I-45 farther south on a safer alignment.  The previous freeway routing is being (eventually) downgraded from freeway to a 4 or more lane boulevard.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

Quote from: radDFW on June 28, 2021, 02:13:43 PM
Never really knew why SH 310 south of CF Hawn was referred to as "S.M. Wright Fwy" before the Dallas sign overhaul despite the fact that it is a 6 lane boulevard paralleling an actual freeway (I-45). I'm also not sure if SH 310 is officially named "S.M. Wright" or "Central" south of CF Hawn, as Google Maps refers to it as South Central Expressway, but the Dallas signs names it as C.F. Hawn

The former portion of US-175 from the "dead man's curve" to the intersection with I-45 was the SM Wright Freeway. South of the Hawn Freeway (US-175),  SH-310 reverted to South Central Expressway. All of South Central Expressway, SM Wright Freeway, Cesar Chavez, and (North) Central Expressway were originally US-75. The entirety was originally called just Central Expressway. As an aside, it was freeway all the way to Overton Road (the first major street south of the Trinity River) until the at least the nineties.  My guess would be the entire freeway section was SM Wright until it was downgraded .

As far as goes SM Wright Freeway, it was ONLY the freeway mainlanes. The frontage roads were still (South) Central Expressway.

bwana39

Quote from: radDFW on June 28, 2021, 11:02:52 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on June 28, 2021, 10:58:40 PM
Quote from: radDFW on June 28, 2021, 02:13:43 PM
Never really knew why SH 310 south of CF Hawn was referred to as "S.M. Wright Fwy" before the Dallas sign overhaul despite the fact that it is a 6 lane boulevard paralleling an actual freeway (I-45). I'm also not sure if SH 310 is officially named "S.M. Wright" or "Central" south of CF Hawn, as Google Maps refers to it as South Central Expressway, but the Dallas signs names it as C.F. Hawn

The former portion of US-175 from the "dead man's curve" to the intersection with I-45 was the SM Wright Freeway. South of the Hawn Freeway (US-175),  SH-310 reverted to South Central Expressway. All of South Central Expressway, SM Wright Freeway, Cesar Chavez, and (North) Central Expressway were originally US-75. The entirety was originally called just Central Expressway. As an aside, it was freeway all the way to Overton Road (the first major street south of the Trinity River) until the at least the nineties.  My guess would be the entire freeway section was SM Wright until it was downgraded

As far as goes SM Wright Freeway, it was ONLY the freeway mainlanes. The frontage roads were still (South) Central Expressway.
The original US 75 alignment south of US 175 that is now SH 310 is referred as S.M. Wright Frwy on older signage, I'm asking why because it's not a freeway when it has at grade intersections.
I'm not exactly sure why Google refers to that section still as Central Expressway even though on official Dallas signs it's designated as S.M. Wright. Still would keep the Central Expressway name though  :spin:

It was freeway all the way to south of the Trinity in the 2008 street views.  I had never heard it called SM Wright south of the river (or more technically, the first at-grade intersection.)

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone have any updates on when they might might downgrade the S.M. Freeway bypassed by the new Interstate 45/US 175 interchange? Or whether old 175 will become an extension of TX 310?

MaxConcrete

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 29, 2021, 03:34:22 PM
Does anyone have any updates on when they might might downgrade the S.M. Freeway bypassed by the new Interstate 45/US 175 interchange? Or whether old 175 will become an extension of TX 310?

When you say downgrade, are you referring to the route designation or actual freeway removal?
Freeway removal is in progress, the link below has photos from 10 days ago.
http://dfwfreeways.com/us175/construction-removal

As for the official route designation, I have no idea but I think it may take a while. The description at the link below does not reflect the new freeway link, or the pending conversion of SM Wright Freeway into SM Wright Boulevard.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/us/us0175.htm
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

74/171FAN

I found this shield from the US 175 WB offramp showing an extension of TX 310 to the north.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

-- US 175 --

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 06, 2021, 02:04:46 PM

I found this shield from the US 175 WB offramp showing an extension of TX 310 to the north.

I saw that assembly a few months ago.  I'm not really sure what to make of it, as there aren't any other TX 310 signs north of US 175, including the replacement BGSes at the S.M. Wright exit off I-45.  AFAIK, there hasn't been any new moves toward making any changes to TX 310 in the minute order files at TxDOT.  None of the local media reports, that I've seen, about the freeway-to-parkway conversion of S.M. Wright have included anything referencing TX 310 being a part of the naming once the conversion work gets completed.  It will be interesting how the treatment of the TX 310 signage ends up being--whether there will be more, or if the corner assembly in the GSV linked pic will be a one-and-only.

wxfree

The Statewide Planning Map has been updated.  It shows US 175 along the new route.  It doesn't yet have a control section number or speed limit listed, but it's on the map and labelled.  The old section north of the new section is labelled as SH 310.  It appears that almost all of the data tabs still show US 175, but the map label and the basic route designation data tab show SH 310.  This doesn't mean anything definitive, but somebody made the affirmative decision to change the map.  They may be retaining the road on the system just until the reconstruction is finished, using SH 310 as a logical placeholder, and then plan to turn it over to the city.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

-- US 175 --

Quote from: yakra on December 18, 2021, 11:27:22 PM
Quote from: -- US 175 -- on December 07, 2021, 03:27:17 AM
AFAIK, there hasn't been any new moves toward making any changes to TX 310 in the minute order files at TxDOT.
May not be new, but https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/113571.pdf

Thanks for the update.  So this either wasn't communicated to the sign installers when they replaced the old US 175 BGSes at I-45/S.M. Wright, or maybe they're waiting on a full TX 310 signage rollout till S.M. Wright gets converted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.