Canada to reopen borders to nonessential travel- first to Americans

Started by ozarkman417, July 19, 2021, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

zzcarp

So many miles and so many roads

kalvado

Quote from: zzcarp on July 21, 2021, 03:33:23 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 21, 2021, 03:16:19 PM
US needs to follow suit

We should, and instead we're delaying until at least 8/21. I'm frankly disgusted.

https://twitter.com/DHSgov/status/1417875283294699520
Chuck Schumer was very vocal about border reopening. Moreover,
QuoteIf an agreement isn't made by July 21, Schumer says the U.S. stands ready to enact a policy allowing vaccinated Canadians to cross into the U.S.

"I today am declaring that it's time for the United States to take action even without the Canadians because they have delayed too long," said Schumer.

https://cnycentral.com/news/local/sen-schumers-push-to-open-the-canadian-border-looks-to-help-destiny-usa
(gigglng)

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

If I'm reading this correctly though, as an American, we can enter Canada at the land border just fine.  And then they can't deny us re-entry.  So Americans can go North and come home.  Canadians just can't travel here via land/sea.

Chris

ozarkman417

Today, I called the Black Ball Ferry Line (operators of the Port Angeles-Victoria ferry mentioned in the OP) to verify if the ferry service would be restarted by August 9th. The company said that they will not be running ferries until the US reopens their border to Canadians. The Sidney-Anacortes ferry is also closed to cross-border operation, so the only way for me to get to Victoria (which is probably not going to happen at this point) is enter Canada at the Peace Arch/I-5/BC-99 port of entry to then take the Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay ferry. If I did my calculations correctly, the lack of international ferries would add an hour to an hour and a half to a Seattle-Victoria trip.

kalvado

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 21, 2021, 05:11:55 PM
If I'm reading this correctly though, as an American, we can enter Canada at the land border just fine.  And then they can't deny us re-entry.  So Americans can go North and come home.  Canadians just can't travel here via land/sea.

Chris
Most likely. How would that affect long term relations, especially given Schumer pushing the issue, is a whole different story.

kkt

It's disappointing that the U.S. isn't reciprocating the limited reopening of the border.  It's not the vaccinated, tested people that Canada is proposing to let in that are going to be carrying lots of Covid, whether original or Delta.

If Americans go north, they might have to quarantine upon return.

Alps

Quote from: Alps on July 21, 2021, 12:41:45 AM
Meanwhile, and hopefully less controversially, I'm trying to figure out what it takes to actually visit Canada as a fully vaccinated individual. They still require a quarantine plan on file. My hope, if I've read correctly, is that if they tell you that you are required to quarantine (for whatever reason), you can just turn around and head back into the USA and that's that.
Apparently the Maritimes are still requiring quarantines, even for Canadians, so... we postpone some more.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

jakeroot

They better sort this out. I'm planning a getaway in a couple weeks with my girlfriend.

Bruce

Given the wave of unvaccinated and entitled Americans coming their way, I'm pretty sympathetic to their plight.

But the Canadian agents tend to be jerks anyway, so it's a bit conflicting.

kkt

Quote from: Bruce on July 28, 2021, 02:56:48 AM
Given the wave of unvaccinated and entitled Americans coming their way, I'm pretty sympathetic to their plight.

Really?  I've crossed the border many times (pre Covid) and never had the Canadian agents be anything but polite and professional.  Which is more than I can say about the American side.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kkt on July 28, 2021, 09:20:28 AM

Really?  I've crossed the border many times (pre Covid) and never had the Canadian agents be anything but polite and professional.  Which is more than I can say about the American side.

I've had much worse interactions with the Canadian side than the U.S.  On a road trip in college, got pulled out of the car and made sit for two hours while they scoured the car, presumably for drugs (despite my posts in the man-card thread, I had never touched a drug other than alcohol or caffeine until I was 33).  Flying through Vancouver on the way to Hong Kong I got pulled into secondary and tertiary screenings because they couldn't believe a 27 year old guy would fly to Hong Kong through Canada for vacation for four days.  The cheapest fare was on Air Canada.  Maybe they just didn't want me to fly that airline.  I was in an isolation room for about an hour by myself before they talked to me.  Luckily I had a six hour layover due to a delayed flight.

Chris

zzcarp

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 28, 2021, 09:56:57 AM

I've had much worse interactions with the Canadian side than the U.S.  On a road trip in college, got pulled out of the car and made sit for two hours while they scoured the car, presumably for drugs (despite my posts in the man-card thread, I had never touched a drug other than alcohol or caffeine until I was 33).  Flying through Vancouver on the way to Hong Kong I got pulled into secondary and tertiary screenings because they couldn't believe a 27 year old guy would fly to Hong Kong through Canada for vacation for four days.  The cheapest fare was on Air Canada.  Maybe they just didn't want me to fly that airline.  I was in an isolation room for about an hour by myself before they talked to me.  Luckily I had a six hour layover due to a delayed flight.

Chris

Wow. Until 2020, I'd crossed the land border with Canada at least once each year since 1978. A couple times they had us stop to pay duty on things we were importing, and my first solo trip to Canada as an almost 18-year-old, they wanted to see I had cash and cards (obviously worried I'd join their generous welfare system). Otherwise, it's always been two to four questions and a wave on with no delay.

Contrast that to the American guards who have searched my car one year and another year threatened to steal my butter tarts if I hadn't declared them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: zzcarp on July 28, 2021, 10:15:24 AM

Chris

Wow. Until 2020, I'd crossed the land border with Canada at least once each year since 1978. A couple times they had us stop to pay duty on things we were importing, and my first solo trip to Canada as an almost 18-year-old, they wanted to see I had cash and cards (obviously worried I'd join their generous welfare system). Otherwise, it's always been two to four questions and a wave on with no delay.

Contrast that to the American guards who have searched my car one year and another year threatened to steal my butter tarts if I hadn't declared them.

I've been to 66 countries and crossed the border back and forth to Canada something like 10 times, and I've never once had an issue with an American border agent.  YMMV obviously.

Chris

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 28, 2021, 10:19:00 AM
Quote from: zzcarp on July 28, 2021, 10:15:24 AM

Chris

I've been to 66 countries and crossed the border back and forth to Canada something like 10 times, and I've never once had an issue with an American border agent.  YMMV obviously.

Chris

In 2008, my brother and I went to New York for New Years to watch the ball drop.  Great experience, but never want to freeze my butt off like that again.  We made a tip out of going there from Texas by driving to Detroit, crossing there, driving through Toronto and Montreal and come down to New York.  We crossed at the I-89 crossing in St. Albans, VT and the lady on the American side was just trying to start something.  She asked why we were crossing from Quebec into Vermont if we had Texas license plates.  I said something along the lines of because we can.  I told her about our trip and when we were doing and she said "why would you do that?  Isn't there New Years Eve in Texas?"  Took me years to just realize she was unhappy with her own life. 

kphoger

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 28, 2021, 11:44:07 AM
I told her about our trip and when we were doing and she said "why would you do that?  Isn't there New Years Eve in Texas?"  Took me years to just realize she was unhappy with her own life. 

If you had been driving to, say, Concord for New Year's, that question would at least make a little more sense.  But the ball drop in New York is a rather well-known thing that people commonly travel to from out of the area.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

She asked why we were crossing from Quebec into Vermont if we had Texas license plates.  I said something along the lines of because we can.

Boy, you really made sure to start off on the right foot, there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 12:07:14 PM
She asked why we were crossing from Quebec into Vermont if we had Texas license plates.  I said something along the lines of because we can.

Boy, you really made sure to start off on the right foot, there.

Yeah, I've had some say something like "You really just went to Kyrgyzstan for three days? Why?" and I just cheerfully say "I found a really cheap airfare, hadn't been there before, and felt like going."  They do a little clickity-clack on the keyboard and say "Welcome home".  Attitude matters.

Chris

jakeroot

Tip for anybody going to Canada on a regular basis: the NEXUS pass is a great way to avoid incessant questions. I'm only ever asked how long I'm going to be in Canada. Then they let me through.

Given the wave of unvaccinated...Americans coming their way

I was under the impression that you had to prove vaccinated status to get in.

zzcarp

Quote from: jakeroot on July 28, 2021, 12:26:27 PM
Tip for anybody going to Canada on a regular basis: the NEXUS pass is a great way to avoid incessant questions. I'm only ever asked how long I'm going to be in Canada. Then they let me through.

You do have to prove vaccinated status to get to Canada as of August 9. There's no "wave of unvaccinated Americans coming their way".

JayhawkCO

Quote from: zzcarp on July 28, 2021, 01:18:16 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 28, 2021, 12:26:27 PM

You do have to prove vaccinated status to get to Canada as of August 9. There's no "wave of unvaccinated Americans coming their way".

There's also plenty of stupid Americans who would show up unvaccinated and be confused why they couldn't get in.  No difference than the people that were shocked, SHOCKED, when they had to have a mask to enter my restaurant when we reopened after the first lockdown.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.