News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Take Your Health Seriously

Started by NWI_Irish96, February 23, 2022, 07:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on March 04, 2022, 05:19:02 PM
I have zero respect for people who buy garbage with EBT. No excuses, period. Especially energy drinks. Using other people's hard earned money to harm your body is just awful.

It's no different than non-wealthy people buying crap with currency. Just because you don't have means to buy a lot of excess stuff doesn't mean that you only buy food with the highest nutrient/$ ratio. If that were the case, people would only be buying rice, beans, and cabbage. That's why, although being a rich country we, in theory, should be the ones who have it the easiest to eat healthily, many people choose not to. I'm not getting to get flustered when people use $2 worth of EBT instead of two Washingtons to buy a Mountain Dew. They were going to do it anyway.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 04, 2022, 03:33:27 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 04, 2022, 03:30:21 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 03, 2022, 01:42:59 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2022, 12:24:45 PM
Quote from: snowc on March 03, 2022, 12:21:24 PM
... In 2020, this was the worst day of my life. ... my mother said no more fried foods, and no more juice, soda, and fatty foods. I even had to taste apples and oranges (AND I GAGGED, this was because my palate has a texture issue that makes me gag with stuff I don't like, such as vegetables except corn, international items, and especially having to customize the item to not have any vegetables) ...

Whoa, do you mean to say you went nearly 20 years without ever tasting an apple or an orange? That might be one of the craziest things I've ever heard...

There are plenty of people who only eat fast/processed foods.  I am reasonably certain that I eat fast food less than 99% of the other active users on this site.

Only fast/processed foods? 3 meals a day? Also considering there are people that can't afford to ever eat out, 99% is pretty steep unless you go years without eating fast food.

You probably eat less fast food than me, I'll definitely give you that, and yet... I eat my share of fast food and also eat 1-3 fruits/vegetables a day and have at least tried pretty much every fruit/vegetable I can think of. That's not mutually exclusive with eating fast food.

You'd might surprised how many fast food places accept alternative forms of payment like EBT.
I have zero respect for people who buy garbage with EBT. No excuses, period. Especially energy drinks. Using other people's hard earned money to harm your body is just awful.

So as the originator of this thread I'm going to weigh in on this (pun intended) and a few other things.

While I've never been on EBT, I'm someone who spent most of his life eating "garbage" and I can tell you it's very similar to an alcohol or drug addiction. I knew that fast/processed food was bad for me and going to cause me problems, but my body just craved it. I imagine the same would go for someone who finds themselves needing EBT. If they've developed the bad habit of eating "garbage", that's going to continue.

It's also not a socioeconomic or intelligence issue. I'm comfortably upper-middle class and have an IQ in the top 0.25% and I struggled with this to the point I've had to have not one but two bariatric surgeries.

There was some discussion earlier regarding the influence of parents and I can definitely say that my parents set me off on the wrong track in allowing us to have too much junk, but by the time I was in my 20s I knew very well what I was doing to myself and had every chance to fix it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

HighwayStar

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 04, 2022, 05:22:40 PM
You'd might surprised how many fast food places accept alternative forms of payment like EBT.

It's no different than non-wealthy people buying crap with currency. Just because you don't have means to buy a lot of excess stuff doesn't mean that you only buy food with the highest nutrient/$ ratio. If that were the case, people would only be buying rice, beans, and cabbage. That's why, although being a rich country we, in theory, should be the ones who have it the easiest to eat healthily, many people choose not to. I'm not getting to get flustered when people use $2 worth of EBT instead of two Washingtons to buy a Mountain Dew. They were going to do it anyway.
[/quote]

It is different, they earned their money, they can spend it how they please. EBTs are my tax dollars that are supposed to be for people who cannot afford any food, or at least that is how the programme is sold to us.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

abefroman329

Quote from: HighwayStar on March 04, 2022, 05:32:15 PMEBTs are my tax dollars that are supposed to be for people who cannot afford any food
And they're using it to buy food.  What's the problem again?

thspfc

But the EBT was gifted to them by the government, and therefore by taxpayer money. Whereas they earned the $2, or found it on the street, or whatever. Point is, I don't care what people do with THEIR money. But EBT is not theirs.

HighwayStar

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 04, 2022, 05:33:53 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on March 04, 2022, 05:32:15 PMEBTs are my tax dollars that are supposed to be for people who cannot afford any food

I actually worked in a grocery store. $30 worth of Honey Sticks or Powerade is not "food", if you can afford to waste it like that you don't need my tax dollars. Most of these people also pull out a wad of cash and pay for Booze, Cigarettes, and then waddle out to a brand new Cadillac car. And most of them probabally have several thousand dollars worth of tattoos as well that they could afford, but supposedly not anything to eat. Its disgusting in the extreme.

The people I felt bad for were little old people on fixed incomes that came in and shopped the sale items, a few basic staples, maybe a cheap cut of meat if it was on sale. You could tell they were being frugal, and most of them spent their lives working and paying into the system to support the obese lady behind them in line paying for $30 worth of honey sticks with government money.

I started playing a mental game with myself, I would just look at the person and their cart of stuff and guess if they were paying with EBT or not before they got their wallet out. I was probabally right 80%+ of the time.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 04, 2022, 05:31:01 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 04, 2022, 03:33:27 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 04, 2022, 03:30:21 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 03, 2022, 01:42:59 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 03, 2022, 12:24:45 PM
Quote from: snowc on March 03, 2022, 12:21:24 PM
... In 2020, this was the worst day of my life. ... my mother said no more fried foods, and no more juice, soda, and fatty foods. I even had to taste apples and oranges (AND I GAGGED, this was because my palate has a texture issue that makes me gag with stuff I don't like, such as vegetables except corn, international items, and especially having to customize the item to not have any vegetables) ...

Whoa, do you mean to say you went nearly 20 years without ever tasting an apple or an orange? That might be one of the craziest things I've ever heard...

There are plenty of people who only eat fast/processed foods.  I am reasonably certain that I eat fast food less than 99% of the other active users on this site.

Only fast/processed foods? 3 meals a day? Also considering there are people that can't afford to ever eat out, 99% is pretty steep unless you go years without eating fast food.

You probably eat less fast food than me, I'll definitely give you that, and yet... I eat my share of fast food and also eat 1-3 fruits/vegetables a day and have at least tried pretty much every fruit/vegetable I can think of. That's not mutually exclusive with eating fast food.

So as the originator of this thread I'm going to weigh in on this (pun intended) and a few other things.

While I've never been on EBT, I'm someone who spent most of his life eating "garbage" and I can tell you it's very similar to an alcohol or drug addiction. I knew that fast/processed food was bad for me and going to cause me problems, but my body just craved it. I imagine the same would go for someone who finds themselves needing EBT. If they've developed the bad habit of eating "garbage", that's going to continue.

It's also not a socioeconomic or intelligence issue. I'm comfortably upper-middle class and have an IQ in the top 0.25% and I struggled with this to the point I've had to have not one but two bariatric surgeries.

There was some discussion earlier regarding the influence of parents and I can definitely say that my parents set me off on the wrong track in allowing us to have too much junk, but by the time I was in my 20s I knew very well what I was doing to myself and had every chance to fix it.
I understand that it's addictive. Sorry to sound unempathetic, but I don't care. As I said, no excuses. My and everyone else's tax dollars should not be fostering unhealthy addictions.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on March 04, 2022, 05:36:52 PM

But the EBT was gifted to them by the government, and therefore by taxpayer money. Whereas they earned the $2, or found it on the street, or whatever. Point is, I don't care what people do with THEIR money. But EBT is not theirs.

You get to participate in the political process that determines how much of your tax money goes to EBT and how those benefits get distributed, but once that process is complete, that money is theirs and no longer yours.

Unless you're in the top 1% of income, you're paying less income taxes because those people are paying more, and that 1% doesn't get to tell you how to spend their money.

thspfc

I would be all for food stamps if there were stringent restrictions on the food that can be bought with them. The counter-argument to this might be that it's tricky to draw the line between what foods should be allowed and what foods shouldn't. But it's no different from how some foods have sales tax and others don't.

J N Winkler

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 23, 2022, 07:12:06 PMThis post is meant to be an informative warning--I don't do this seeking sympathy.

[ . . . ]

That puts me were I am today, 8 days removed from a gastric bypass surgery. What a miserable experience. Had to go on a pure liquid protein diet for 2 weeks before the surgery just to get my risk down to a level where the surgeon would do the operation. Have a post-op wound that has to be redressed twice a day for 2-4 more weeks. Have no appetite and still only consuming liquids post-surgery. Hard to sit comfortably. Hard to lie down and sleep comfortably. Have to pee every 2 hours. Have a long recovery ahead. Probably at least 2-3 months before I can consider restarting road clinching trips.

TL DR version: Getting fat is really bad for you. Don't let it happen to you. If you can't find other motivation to stay healthy, use my experience.

I know you're not asking for sympathy, but even so, I hope the rest of your recovery is smooth, complete, and rapid.  My mother had multiple abdominal surgeries with wound care arrangements similar to what you describe, so I remember the accompanying discomfort.

Other people's metabolisms and personal circumstances are different, so I don't want to speak prescriptively, but have found it helpful to get 100% of the fiber RDA and at least five servings from at least three different vegetables (none of which is potato) every day, while going light on starchy foods such as bread, pasta, and pizza (but not avoiding them completely).  Otherwise, I am very inconsistent about exercise other than walking, eat ad libitum, and don't abstain from alcohol, fast food, junk food, or sweets.

I think it helps to think of diets in terms of inclusion (what should I be eating?) rather than exclusion (what do I need to avoid?), and behavior modification in terms of small changes in habits that accrete over time.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on March 04, 2022, 05:41:49 PM
My and everyone else's tax dollars should not be fostering unhealthy addictions.

I look forward to your plan to massively raise corporate taxes on companies that produce unhealthy food, thus eliminating their ability to get that food to consumers on the backs of taxpayers.

thspfc

Quote from: HighwayStar on March 04, 2022, 05:38:12 PM

I actually worked in a grocery store. $30 worth of Honey Sticks or Powerade is not "food", if you can afford to waste it like that you don't need my tax dollars. Most of these people also pull out a wad of cash and pay for Booze, Cigarettes, and then waddle out to a brand new Cadillac car. And most of them probabally have several thousand dollars worth of tattoos as well that they could afford, but supposedly not anything to eat. Its disgusting in the extreme.

The people I felt bad for were little old people on fixed incomes that came in and shopped the sale items, a few basic staples, maybe a cheap cut of meat if it was on sale. You could tell they were being frugal, and most of them spent their lives working and paying into the system to support the obese lady behind them in line paying for $30 worth of honey sticks with government money.

I started playing a mental game with myself, I would just look at the person and their cart of stuff and guess if they were paying with EBT or not before they got their wallet out. I was probabally right 80%+ of the time.
And to tie back to the original topic, I've found that the more a person weighs, the more likely they are to be using EBT . . .

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on March 04, 2022, 05:47:07 PM

And to tie back to the original topic, I've found that the more a person weighs, the more likely they are to be using EBT . . .

As I noted earlier, I'm a clear counterexample to that and there are plenty more where I came from.

Scott5114

Money is a fictional substance invented by the government, so it's kind of questionable as to whether it's ever actually "yours" to begin with. (Ask a Russian oligarch how their hard-earned rubles have been doing over the past week.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Okay so if I have it right the lesson out this thread is that EBT users should be banned from buying Mountain Dew and energy drinks?

abefroman329

Quote from: HighwayStar on March 04, 2022, 05:38:12 PMMost of these people also pull out a wad of cash and pay for Booze, Cigarettes, and then waddle out to a brand new Cadillac car. And most of them probabally have several thousand dollars worth of tattoos as well that they could afford, but supposedly not anything to eat. Its disgusting in the extreme.
lol

Look, I'm sure "cashier at a convenience store" or whatever wasn't your dream job, but there are plenty of ways to get out of it that don't involve sneering at people who have five fewer dollars than you do.  Maybe get off your ass and learn a trade in your off hours.

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 04, 2022, 05:59:22 PM
Okay so if I have it right the lesson out this thread is that EBT users should be banned from buying Mountain Dew and energy drinks?
No, it's "the poor are subhuman."

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 04, 2022, 06:00:39 PM

And undeserving of Mountain Dew or Red Bull.

Hopefully nobody mistakes my sarcasm.  I'm just taken aback by some these assertions being made about EBT users.  There even a "these people"  in this thread, can't say I'm surprised by who wrote it. 

How the fuck is this about health and diet monitoring now?

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 04, 2022, 05:48:57 PM
Quote from: thspfc on March 04, 2022, 05:47:07 PM

As I noted earlier, I'm a clear counterexample to that and there are plenty more where I came from.
Shoot, man. I cited my experiences of ringing up hundreds upon hundreds of people at grocery registers, and you shot it all down with your single-grain-of-sand personal anecdote.

(/s)

thspfc

And fast food, and candy, USING EBT. They can buy whatever they want with money they actually earned.

thspfc

Where did I ever say that?

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 04, 2022, 06:02:17 PM

Hopefully nobody mistakes my sarcasm.  I'm just taken aback by some these assertions being made about EBT users.  There even a "these people"  in this thread, can't say I'm surprised by who wrote it. 

Because restricting people from buying garbage with money they were given for free would improve their health.

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on March 04, 2022, 07:54:37 PM

Because restricting people from buying garbage with money they were given for free would improve their health.
So, mandate the COVID vaccine.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

Quote from: Rothman on March 04, 2022, 07:57:17 PM

So, mandate the COVID vaccine.
?

I'm open to discussing if this is an equivalency, I'd just like an explanation first.

Max Rockatansky

I eat all sorts of fast food and have three energy drinks a day.  I run half marathons every week and spend five days at the gym every week.  My health is just fine despite my lack of a hyper clean diet.  I know lots of people who struggle with weight who consume what might be construed as a more "ideal"  diet.  Just because someone eats fast food or has caffeinated drinks isn't causality on it's own for poor health, many more factors go into it.  Being a dictator towards lower income demographics over what food they can buy solves nothing

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.