News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Control cities that are distant from the parent interstate

Started by transplanted, March 15, 2022, 05:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

transplanted

I found myself in Nashville for the first time recently and noticed that the control city on I-65 south is Huntsville, even though it is about 20 miles east of 65 at the closest point (connected via I-565). This got me wondering how this was chosen, and how many other situations there are like that (not counting cases where an interstate is signed for a city beyond its termination point, like I-40 for Los Angeles). I think I-80 passing by Chicago would qualify, and I-15 swings pretty wide around Riverside. Does I-5 still have SF as a control city anywhere? Other examples?

Roadgeekteen

I-95 doesn't enter Boston but it gets close so IDK if it counts.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MATraveler128

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 15, 2022, 05:22:01 PM
I-70 for DC

Also, I-70 doesn’t reach Pittsburgh, but it is signed at Breezewood.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

JayhawkCO

DandyDan

MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

ilpt4u

Eventually: I-11 and at least Phoenix. Probably also Reno

GaryV

If you're willing to include 3di's:

Flint is pretty far from I-275. Toledo too, but not as far.

Lansing and Port Huron are far from the ends of I-696.

HighwayStar

There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Flint1979

One rule about control cities is that the control city doesn't have to be reached before the control city changes to the next city. Huntsville has access to I-65 from several different highways SR-53 via TN-7, US-72 and I-565/US-72A. Also Huntsville is now the largest city in Alabama. You could probably use Athens but Huntsville is 10 times bigger than Athens.

Flint1979

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 15, 2022, 05:25:06 PM
I-70 for DC

Also, I-70 doesn't reach Pittsburgh, but it is signed at Breezewood.
I-70 is concurrent with I-76 west of Breezewood so is it an I-70 control city or I-76 control city? My guess is that since I-76 is the PA Turnpike east of there and west of New Stanton that it's I-76's control city. Also I just looked and don't see where Pittsburgh is the control city in Breezewood. Unless something has been changed I see Turnpike and New Stanton being used for WB control cities there.

cwf1701

I-70 for DC

And even thou it is only 10 miles south from the interchange with I-75, Dayton Ohio. (Dayton is a control city at the junction of I-465 and I-70 east.)

SkyPesos

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 15, 2022, 09:38:32 PM
I-70 for DC

I-70 is concurrent with I-76 west of Breezewood so is it an I-70 control city or I-76 control city? My guess is that since I-76 is the PA Turnpike east of there and west of New Stanton that it's I-76's control city. Also I just looked and don't see where Pittsburgh is the control city in Breezewood. Unless something has been changed I see Turnpike and New Stanton being used for WB control cities there.
Could be for both, since both enters the metro area, but neither enters city limits. At least that's how I think of it.

thspfc

I've mentioned this one before, but Sturgeon Bay (40 miles from I-43) and Marinette (50 miles from I-43) are on the same sign for I-43 NB in Green Bay.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ran4sh

Quote from: transplanted on March 15, 2022, 05:17:34 PM
I found myself in Nashville for the first time recently and noticed that the control city on I-65 south is Huntsville, even though it is about 20 miles east of 65 at the closest point (connected via I-565). This got me wondering how this was chosen, and how many other situations there are like that (not counting cases where an interstate is signed for a city beyond its termination point, like I-40 for Los Angeles). I think I-80 passing by Chicago would qualify, and I-15 swings pretty wide around Riverside. Does I-5 still have SF as a control city anywhere? Other examples?

It used to be Birmingham but Alabama/the DOT wanted to add Huntsville and they were able to get Huntsville added to the AASHTO list. Similar changes have occurred elsewhere, e.g. Ohio adding Dayton as a control city for I-70 and Indiana changing its signage to comply. (Previously the control cities were Columbus and Indianapolis there)

Changing official control cities is a normal thing that should happen from time to time as cities become more important or less important. Huntsville has grown in importance since the construction of the Interstate system, and adding it to the control city list is justified. A control city isn't useful if motorists coming from far away and unfamiliar with the area don't recognize it. And it's explicitly stated in the MUTCD that guide signage is supposed to prioritize unfamiliar motorists not from the area.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

SkyPesos

Quote from: ran4sh on March 15, 2022, 11:48:26 PM
A control city isn't useful if motorists coming from far away and unfamiliar with the area don't recognize it. And it's explicitly stated in the MUTCD that guide signage is supposed to prioritize unfamiliar motorists not from the area.
PennDOT disagrees  :sombrero:

But seriously, seeing NYC as a control city on I-80 EB in Ohio (which is a perfect control city imo) then various small cities in PA until close to the NJ border doesn't really help unfamiliar motorists.

DTComposer

Quote from: transplanted on March 15, 2022, 05:17:34 PM
Does I-5 still have SF as a control city anywhere?

Yes, SF is a control on I-5 north from the CA-99 junction at Wheeler Ridge to I-580 outside of Tracy.

On a more local scale, I-405 uses Santa Monica as a control from both directions without ever entering the city limits.

kkt

HighwayStar

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 15, 2022, 11:53:38 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on March 15, 2022, 11:48:26 PM
A control city isn't useful if motorists coming from far away and unfamiliar with the area don't recognize it. And it's explicitly stated in the MUTCD that guide signage is supposed to prioritize unfamiliar motorists not from the area.
PennDOT disagrees  :sombrero:

But seriously, seeing NYC as a control city on I-80 EB in Ohio (which is a perfect control city imo) then various small cities in PA until close to the NJ border doesn't really help unfamiliar motorists.

I get the desire to give unfamiliar motorists useful information, that is after all the benefit of a well signed grid.

But there is always a balance to be struck here. I don't see the point in catering to the lowest common denominator, and unfortunately the geography knowledge of the average person in this country is sadly lacking.
Someone that does not know how many states there are is also unlikely to have heard of cities like Toledo Ohio or Pittsburgh PA if they are not from the area.

So it seems reasonable to give the best available control city, but being universally recognized cannot be a criteria.

I am of the opinion that at least one control city should be posted for every state the road passes through, that way motorists know what state lies ahead which is of some value as well.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

hotdogPi

Quote from: HighwayStar on March 16, 2022, 01:27:06 AM
I am of the opinion that at least one control city should be posted for every state the road passes through, that way motorists know what state lies ahead which is of some value as well.

What about cases like I-15 in Arizona?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 15, 2022, 11:02:00 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 15, 2022, 09:38:32 PM
I-70 for DC

Could be for both, since both enters the metro area, but neither enters city limits. At least that's how I think of it.
Yep and I-376 takes you into Pittsburgh which spurs off of I-76 twice so there is another highway to get you there.

nsexpeditions

The I-74 stretch in Mt. Airy that juts off 77 has a control city of Winston-Salem, and while yes, they are working on the stretch of US52 to become 74, technically right now, this portion of I-74 doesn't take you into the city, US52 takes you into the city.
Life is like a highway. Some are like I-70 through the white peaks of Colorado...some are like I-77 North in Charlotte with a 7 car pileup...

nsexpeditions

Quote from: DandyDan on March 15, 2022, 05:58:38 PM
Chicago for I-80.
Another control city of I-80 that doesn't actually reach said city, New York. It's in the NYC area, but the highway ends in Hackensack, so you're just supposed to take 95 into the state/city.
Life is like a highway. Some are like I-70 through the white peaks of Colorado...some are like I-77 North in Charlotte with a 7 car pileup...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.