News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Farthest license plate you've seen from the jurisdiction you're in

Started by andrepoiy, March 15, 2022, 06:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Hog

Sctvhound

British Columbia in Charleston, SC. Think I've seen every Canadian province/territory except Nunavut and maybe Yukon.

Scott5114

I just saw a Massachusetts plate on I-20 in Louisiana.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

I saw a Range Rover with Dutch license plates like ten years ago in Puyallup, Washington. It had some kind of camper setup going on.

I saw French plates on some kind of small European caravan somewhere north of Seattle a few years ago.

CtrlAltDel

I once saw a Hawaiian license plate and an Alaska license plate in California, both on the same day. That's got to count for something.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

SkyPesos

Excluding the (decorative, I'm assuming) European style places, I've seen a California plate in Ohio before.

kkt

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 21, 2022, 10:46:25 PM
Excluding the (decorative, I'm assuming) European style places, I've seen a California plate in Ohio before.

You know, now that you mention it, I once saw a Ford Mustang convertible with Illinois license plates, front and back, when I was living in Paris. Oddly enough, a friend of mine from Chicago was visiting me at the time.

It's possible, of course, that the plates were a novelty or perhaps some kind of fraud, but I wonder if they belonged to someone in the military who had the car shipped over.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Techknow

I have seen a California license plate in Washington, DC years ago and a DC plate in San Francisco (apparently it would park around my neighborhood from time to time.)

Rothman

In the Albany, NY area, I saw an Alaska and Hawaii plate.  More than one of the former.

Saw a Guam plate...but can't remember exactly where in the Lower 48.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

In Ontario/Toronto. I saw Yukon And NW Territory plates.

MATraveler128

I once saw a Prince Edward Island license plate on a truck while I was going to Boston. I know that’s not far, but I’ve never seen one otherwise. As for contiguous states,   the ones I see least frequently are Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and Nevada.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

JayhawkCO

elsmere241

I once saw a Nova Scotia plate at the US 301 Welcome Center on the Maryland Eastern Shore.  OTOH, I saw a Florida plate in Arezzo, Italy in 1992.

STLmapboy

Saw a Hawaii plate the other day...in Geneva County, Alabama.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

1995hoo

Quote from: Techknow on March 22, 2022, 02:12:13 AM
I have seen a California license plate in Washington, DC years ago and a DC plate in San Francisco (apparently it would park around my neighborhood from time to time.)

California plates in the DC area are extremely common.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SP Cook

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 22, 2022, 01:07:19 AM

You know, now that you mention it, I once saw a Ford Mustang convertible with Illinois license plates, front and back, when I was living in Paris. Oddly enough, a friend of mine from Chicago was visiting me at the time.

It's possible, of course, that the plates were a novelty or perhaps some kind of fraud, but I wonder if they belonged to someone in the military who had the car shipped over.

Until the mid 00s, US issued plates for people with Status of Forces rights that said they were issued by the US DOD.  These were US style plates until the mid 90s, Euro style, with the NATO symbol replacing the Euro symbol afterwards. 

Since then they have issued sort of fake Euro plates.  Which is to say they are legal
and just another number in the host country's scheme but are issued tax free and if the cops run the number it just comes back to "US Forces"  rather than a particular person.  Apparently this is for security reasons.

Turning in the local plates is a big check mark anybody shipping out from Europe back to the USA needs on their forms.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

CNGL-Leudimin

Minnesota. However it was during a carnival parade. On the road, it was (coincidentally) Ukraine. I've also seen Siberia (n.b.: I've self-imposed a ban on saying the real name of that country, it was from St. Petersburg which is not in Siberia proper) in Castile La Mancha.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

epzik8

I was going to say Yucatan, Mexico for Maryland, but actually it's probably Hawaii.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: SP Cook on March 23, 2022, 09:34:51 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 22, 2022, 01:07:19 AM

Until the mid 00s, US issued plates for people with Status of Forces rights that said they were issued by the US DOD.  These were US style plates until the mid 90s, Euro style, with the NATO symbol replacing the Euro symbol afterwards. 

Since then they have issued sort of fake Euro plates.  Which is to say they are legal
and just another number in the host country's scheme but are issued tax free and if the cops run the number it just comes back to "US Forces"  rather than a particular person.  Apparently this is for security reasons.

Turning in the local plates is a big check mark anybody shipping out from Europe back to the USA needs on their forms.

Thanks for this. I guess that means what I saw was off the books in one way or another.

LilianaUwU

I recall seeing a bear-shaped Northwest Territories/Nunavut plate in New Brunswick, which was interesting because I never saw a plate that's not rectangular before.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 24, 2022, 04:45:01 PM
I recall seeing a bear-shaped Northwest Territories/Nunavut plate in New Brunswick, which was interesting because I never saw a plate that's not rectangular before.
My neighbor in western MA had the polar bear plate from the Northwest Territories.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

KCRoadFan

Once in Lawrence, KS, near where I live, I saw a plate from Tabasco in Mexico.

Also, on a trip to New England, I remember seeing a California plate in a town in Vermont.

ftballfan

I just got back from a few weeks in the Orlando, FL area, and I saw plates from as far away as Washington state. I also saw a lot of Ontario and Quebec plates

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.