News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most Consecutive Crossings With An Interchange

Started by webny99, March 17, 2022, 12:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I noticed that ON 401 in the Kingston, ON area has six road crossings and an interchange at all six. That's about 19 km (12 miles) in which every road crossing has an interchange.

My questions:
1) What highway has the most consecutive crossings with an interchange?
2) What highway has the longest segment where every crossing has an interchange?

Partial interchanges are OK with an asterisk. Highways with service roads are OK as long as there's at least 2 slip ramps for each crossing.

Dirt Roads

When I read this, my mind took me back to a memory game that I used to play when roadtripping along I-95 in Georgia:  Name the five rivers between Savannah and Darien.  It seemed like I-95 went on forever between exits and road crossings.  Anyhow, this search was not very successful but there is a stretch between Savannah and South Newport with four (4) consecutive exits, one of which is brand spanking new:

Exit 94 - GA-204 - Pembroke/Savannah
Exit 90 - GA-144 - Pooler/Richmond Hill
Exit 87 - US-17/GA-25 - Richmond Hill/Midway
Exit 82 - Belfast-Keller Road (new January 2021)

skluth

Not more, but this stretch along the Kennedy just west of the Chicago Loop always struck me as intense. I can't imagine more interchanges along any stretch of highway.

dvferyance

The Madison Beltline has consecutive interchanges at
Gammon Rd
Whitney Way
Verona Rd/Midvale Blvd
Seminole Hwy (although this is a partial interchange)
Fish Hatchery Rd
Park St
Rimrock Rd
John Nolen Dr
South Towne Dr
Monona Dr
Stoughton Rd
Until Agriculture Dr breaks the streak but that is still 11 consecutive crossings all with interchanges. It would not surprise me if this one takes the cake.

TheOneKEA

Interstate 97 in Maryland has five consecutive interchanges:

MD 3 / New Cut Rd
MD 174
MD 100
MD 176
MD 648

dlsterner

Quote from: TheOneKEA on March 17, 2022, 08:10:26 PM
Interstate 97 in Maryland has five consecutive interchanges:

MD 3 / New Cut Rd
MD 174
MD 100
MD 176
MD 648

Sorry, but between MD 100 and MD 176, Stewart Ave. crosses I-97 without an interchange.

jeffandnicole

I-295 in NJ, from South to North...

Exit 13* (US 130)
Exit 14
Exit 15
Exit 16A
Exit 16B
Exit 17
Exit 18*. 2 overpasses here but it's all one system of interchanges which combine for all movements.
Exit 19
Exit 20
Exit 21 (295 goes over the local road)
Exit 22 (295 goes over the local road)
Exit 23*. Again, 2 overpasses but all one system of interchanges.
Exit 24A* (295 goes over the local road)
Exit 24B* (295 goes over the local road)
Exit 25*

So that's 15 exits, in about 13 miles. And they're not numbered sequentially...they're milepost based. They're just that close together.

roadman65

NJ Route 3 in NJ I think counts other than Ridge Road and Orient Way in Rutherford which are connected via Route 17 and being the former is Route 17, the exit to NJ 17 kinda sort of counts.  Orient way does have an on ramp to NJ 3 west, and before the current NJ 3 and NJ 17 interchange opened in the early seventies, Orient Road and NJ 17 were one interchange with the Route 3 freeway previously.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Revive 755

US 40 around Chesterfield, MO:

* Timberlake Manor Parkway
* Chesterfield Parkway (East) (Partial)
* MO 340
* Chesterfield Parkway (West)
* Boone's Crossing
* Spirit of St. Louis Boulevard (partial, WB exit requires doubling back using the north outer road)
* Research Park Circle (3/4 interchange)
* MO 94 (3/4 interchange)
* Route K
* Route DD

There are also two half-trumpet interchanges in this stretch with Long Road and Chesterfield Airport Road.

GaryV

I'm sure we could find some rural area where all of the crossings within 25 miles had an exit. Both of them.

andrepoiy

Interesting question. I guess both urban areas and rural areas would be at a disadvantage (since in urban contexts there may be too many roads to reasonably have an interchange, and in rural contexts a lot of roads do not warrant an interchange...)

However, I think I found one that has 8 (2 partials): Highway 401 from Keele Street to Leslie St - no midblock crossings, but just 12 ish km.

Another with 8: Highway 403/QEW from the QEW/407 interchange to Third Line - also lacks any midblock crossings. 13 km

Another with 8: Highway 401 from Harmony Road to Highway 35/115. 24 km

Caps81943

If I understand this right VA-28 has 14 consecutive controlled access interchanges between the Poplar Tree Rd underpass and VA-7 (a terminus interchange) over a distance of ~13 miles.

Westfields Blvd
Willard Rd
US-50
Air and Space Museum Pkwy
McLearen Rd
Frying Pan Rd
VA-267/Dulles Access Rd
Innovation Ave
Old Ox Rd
Sterling Blvd
Waxpool Rd/Church Rd
Warp Dr RI (partial)(note there is a bike trail overpass between Waxpool and Warp...this shouldn't impact the count.)
Nokes Blvd/Gloucester Pkwy
VA-7

Now let's continue this west on 7:
Loudoun County Pkwy
Ashburn Village Blvd
Shopping Mall RIRO (partial)
Claiborne Pkwy/Landsdowne Blvd
Belmont Ridge Rd
River Creek Pkwy/Crosstrail Blvd
Battlefield Pkwy
Leesburg Bypass
Ends at Sycolin Rd underpass (bike trail overpass between Bypass and Sycolin though again this shouldn't affect the count).
So that portion of VA-7 has 9 consecutive interchanges over ~8 miles. In total, using VA-28 north to VA-7 west, you can go 21 miles without crossing a road not controlled by a controlled access interchange, and that totals 21 consecutive interchanges.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.