News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Forgotten Sitcoms

Started by roadman65, March 19, 2022, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XamotCGC

Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2022, 12:02:21 AM
How about the Sanford Arms? It was supposed to be a continuation of Sanford and Son, with all the recurring characters from that show plus Theodore Flicker playing the main character who bought the Sanford and Son Junkyard and turned it into a hotel.  Apparently Red Foxx and Demond Wilson both didn't want to do a season seven of Sanford and Son, so they created a spin off sort of like Mayberry RFD for the Andy Griffith Show continuing that show for this show.

Unfortunately it never worked out like Mayberry, that lasted three full seasons until CBS created the Rural Purge cancelling all the rural sitcoms of the sixties and early seventies including Green Acres.

Another forgotten one was the Sanford and Son spin-off called Grady, where Grady moved out of Watts and moved to Westwood to be with his daughter and grandchildren. Like Sanford Arms, it bombed after a few episodes.

I remember a Sanford and Son spin-off called called Sanford. 
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2022, 12:02:21 AM
How about the Sanford Arms? It was supposed to be a continuation of Sanford and Son, with all the recurring characters from that show plus Theodore Flicker playing the main character who bought the Sanford and Son Junkyard and turned it into a hotel.  Apparently Red Foxx and Demond Wilson both didn't want to do a season seven of Sanford and Son, so they created a spin off sort of like Mayberry RFD for the Andy Griffith Show continuing that show for this show.

Unfortunately it never worked out like Mayberry, that lasted three full seasons until CBS created the Rural Purge cancelling all the rural sitcoms of the sixties and early seventies including Green Acres.

Another forgotten one was the Sanford and Son spin-off called Grady, where Grady moved out of Watts and moved to Westwood to be with his daughter and grandchildren. Like Sanford Arms, it bombed after a few episodes.

And then there was a reboot called Sanford that lasted parts of two seasons (1980-81) that included Red Foxx and Nathaniel Taylor (Rollo).  LaWanda Page reprised her role as Aunt Esther in the 2nd season.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bandit957

Remember 'Soap'?

'Soap' was pretty controversial, and I was much too young for it when it first aired. It was on after I went to bed, and I remember the theme music blaring in from the living room.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Big John

Quote from: bandit957 on March 22, 2022, 09:32:34 PM
Remember 'Soap'?

'Soap' was pretty controversial, and I was much too young for it when it first aired. It was on after I went to bed, and I remember the theme music blaring in from the living room.
I wasn't allowed to watch it at first, though I saw it in reruns. A main controversy was t had the first openly gay character and many people were terrified.

golden eagle

Anyone remember the reboot of What's Happenin'? It was called What's Happenin' Now. It was about Roger, Rerun, Dewayne and Shirley reopening Rob's Place. It was the show that Martin Lawrence got his breakthrough role, as well as Anne-Marie Johnson, who went on to place Althea on the TV version of In the Heat Of the Night.

dlsterner

Remember 'Soap'?

Definitely remember "Soap".  Watched it religiously during its run.

Unfortunately, they had several cliff-hangers in the final episode of the last year.  The show was subsequently cancelled, and there was no resolution to the cliff-hangers.  Left to be unresolved for eternity.

Do people remember "Soap"'s spin-off - "Benson"?

Rothman

Everyone remembers Benson.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Benson ended with a question. Who won the Governor Race?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: dlsterner on March 22, 2022, 11:36:00 PM
Remember 'Soap'?

Unfortunately, they had several cliff-hangers in the final episode of the last year.  The show was subsequently cancelled, and there was no resolution to the cliff-hangers.  Left to be unresolved for eternity.

As I noted in another thread, "Soap" is best known these days for launching the career of a young Rod Roddy (who would later become the announcer of Press Your Luck and The Price Is Right).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 23, 2022, 01:02:31 AM
Remember 'Soap'?

As I noted in another thread, "Soap" is best known these days for launching the career of a young Rod Roddy (who would later become the announcer of Press Your Luck and The Price Is Right).
Nah. Robert Guillaume and Benson.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bandit957

Wasn't 'Benson' the first American sitcom ever to mention the Internet?

Apparently, 'Leave It To Beaver' was the first American sitcom ever to show a toilet.

dlsterner

Remember 'Soap'?

The original announcer was Casey Kasem (of American Top 40 fame), but Kasem objected to the content of the show, and Roddy was added.

elsmere241

A few years after Soap ended, the same producers brought out Hail to the Chief, which was a similar format and had Patty Duke playing the first woman president.

DTComposer

Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2022, 06:44:43 AM
Remember 'Soap'?

Billy Crystal, anyone?

I-39

"Just the Ten of Us"  with Bill Kirchenbauer is one. It was a spin off of Growing Pains that never gained much steam.

It was on early on in the TGIF block on ABC in the late 80s/early 90s and I think it's cancellation led to the eventual creation of "Step by Step"  with Patrick Duffy and Suzanne Sommers, which is another show that has been somewhat forgotten (probably because Full House and Family Matters overshadowed it).

bandit957

Quote from: Big John on March 22, 2022, 09:46:12 PM
Remember 'Soap'?

I wasn't allowed to watch it at first, though I saw it in reruns. A main controversy was t had the first openly gay character and many people were terrified.

I remember reading on a website that there was a sitcom around 1980 that was like 'The Brady Bunch' except the couple was a lesbian couple. But it only lasted 4 episodes or something.

golden eagle

Quote from: I-39 on March 23, 2022, 11:50:43 AM
"Just the Ten of Us"  with Bill Kirchenbauer is one. It was a spin off of Growing Pains that never gained much steam.

It was on early on in the TGIF block on ABC in the late 80s/early 90s and I think it's cancellation led to the eventual creation of "Step by Step"  with Patrick Duffy and Suzanne Sommers, which is another show that has been somewhat forgotten (probably because Full House and Family Matters overshadowed it).

Fun fact about Step By Step: Actress Staci Keanan, who played Dana on the show, is now the deputy district attorney for Los Angeles County. She serves under her given name, Anastasia Love Sagorsky.

Scott5114

Remember 'Soap'?

Who?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 23, 2022, 01:25:45 PM
Remember 'Soap'?

Who?
Rafiki in The Lion King.

JayhawkCO

No one's mentioned Bosom Buddies, which spring boarded Tom Hanks' career.  When I watched it as a kid, it seemed like a less funny Perfect Strangers.

I-39

Quote from: golden eagle on March 23, 2022, 01:15:50 PM
Quote from: I-39 on March 23, 2022, 11:50:43 AM

Fun fact about Step By Step: Actress Staci Keanan, who played Dana on the show, is now the deputy district attorney for Los Angeles County. She serves under her given name, Anastasia Love Sagorsky.

I remember hearing that. Stark contrast to Brandon Call who played JT, he seems to have completely disappeared from the spotlight and is current whereabouts are unknown.

Honestly, other than Cody and occasionally Al, Step by Step seemed pretty bland. If it weren't for the former, it probably would have been cancelled after Season 2 or 3.

Rothman

Step by Step was horrible.

triplemultiplex

The only thing I remember about Step By Step was that it took place in Wisconsin and they had a shot of rollercoaster at Cedar Point, Ohio in the opening credits.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

roadman65

I liked Step by Step.  It proved that actor Patrick Duffy can do more than drama as his previous role as Bobby Ewing on Dallas.

Him and Suzanne Somers both had chemistry together and the love hate sibling relationship with JT and Dana was great and the doofus Cody were the show.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

I-39

Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2022, 03:08:03 PM
Step by Step was horrible.

It wasn't horrible, but it was pretty bland outside of Cody and Al. Again, absent the former, I think it would've ended after a season or two. Yes, Patrick Duffy and Suzanne Somers had chemistry, but their characters didn't seem to develop too much over the course of the series. Dana and Karen were annoying IMO, JT was a bigger doofus than Cody and Brendan and Mark were just fillers for the most part.

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 23, 2022, 03:51:30 PM
The only thing I remember about Step By Step was that it took place in Wisconsin and they had a shot of rollercoaster at Cedar Point, Ohio in the opening credits.

I thought that was Six Flags Magic Mountain with Lake Michigan superimposed onto the parking lot?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.