News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Which states' traffic light design do you like best, and why?

Started by KCRoadFan, April 22, 2022, 12:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Throughout my travels, I've noticed that many states seem to have a distinct (or at least commonly seen) style of traffic light, such that I would recognize it as being within that state. Among these designs, here are a couple I especially like:

• I'm not sure what it is, exactly, but there's just something I like about the way New York state does their traffic lights - the way all those individual signals are hung, such as with this example from Auburn, looks kind of cute, as if it might be in a postcard photo! (On the other hand, one of NY's shortcomings is that there are almost no overhead street signs.)
  • As someone who has often visited Minnesota, I LOVE the design of the traffic light mast arms in that state - which have signs not only for the name of the cross-street but also for the highway number, if any - as we can see from this installation at Bottineau Blvd (County 81) and 63rd Avenue North in Brooklyn Park.

Those are two of the states that I like the most regarding their traffic-light installations. As for you all, what states do you think do best with their traffic lights?

Hobart

I'm personally a fan of states that fall into the camp of "Left turn signal goes over the left turn lane", even if it's not protected.

One example that comes to mind is Minot, North Dakota, a town in a state that's really good at this.
https://www.google.com/maps/@48.2258886,-101.2960759,3a,39.4y,182.74h,96.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPsA3WQwTLujwx3Ca0AhLUg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Some jurisdictions in Illinois (cough cough, not district one) do this great as well. District 3 installed this example.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5095672,-88.4334757,3a,37.6y,351.83h,92.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shS5tEr47PsK0C2z1onR52A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Alaska too.
https://www.google.com/maps/@61.1953387,-149.7630333,3a,48.8y,264.85h,96.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFeu3McsAdqmwZJZFb1809g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Alaska and North Dakota also don't put all of their thru signals on the mast arm; I personally think having an overhead signal and a supplemental far side right signal is a more effective combination than two signals on the mast arm, especially when trucks have the potential to block both overhead mounted signals. It's a practice I think more states should follow.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

SkyPesos

I really like Wisconsin's:

- Horizontal overhead signals. Probably just my bias seeing them in Japan and Taiwan a lot, I prefer them to vertical ones.
- Constant supplemental signals, including near-side ones. Personally, I think near-side supplementals are important, but it seems like 40 states disagree with me.
- Only 1 or 2 signals overhead, with the rest as supplementals/vertically mounted. Reduces overhead clutter, unlike some other states that put every signal for every lane overhead and nothing on the sides.

Runner-ups for me are Illinois and New Jersey. Illinois have the same features as Wisconsin, minus the horizontal overheads. NJ lacks vertical supplementals compared to the other two, but I like their clean mast-arm layouts (like WI and IL) and near-side overheads.

wriddle082

I guess I like VA, or at least their state-maintained signals.  Their newer ones are consistently mast arm and have green road name signage in the upper right corner every time.  FL's horizontal ones aren't too bad either.  And CA's are nice as well.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 22, 2022, 02:48:22 AM

- Horizontal overhead signals. Probably just my bias seeing them in Japan and Taiwan a lot, I prefer them to vertical ones.
- Constant supplemental signals, including near-side ones. Personally, I think near-side supplementals are important, but it seems like 40 states disagree with me.
- Only 1 or 2 signals overhead, with the rest as supplementals/vertically mounted. Reduces overhead clutter, unlike some other states that put every signal for every lane overhead and nothing on the sides.

Runner-ups for me are Illinois and New Jersey. Illinois have the same features as Wisconsin, minus the horizontal overheads. NJ lacks vertical supplementals compared to the other two, but I like their clean mast-arm layouts (like WI and IL) and near-side overheads.

How do you feel about Wisconsin going forward, knowing that the horizontal installs are becoming a thing of the past in favor of the newer monstrous installs?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

roadfro

I'm partial to Nevada's layout.

Vertical signals on mast arms. New installations are typically signal per lane.  Far side post-mounted supplemental signals standard, with larger intersections having near side post mounted supplemental for thru and overhead near side for left turn signals.

I'm also okay with an older Nevada standard, still common in the Vegas area (and is a common practice in some areas of California): basically identical to the above, but when there is more than 1 left turn lane or more than 2 thru lanes, then the number of overhead signals used is typically <number of lanes> minus 1.

But overall, any non-spam wire installation where there is at least two signal heads per phase will be sufficient to me.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SkyPesos

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 22, 2022, 12:47:09 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on April 22, 2022, 02:48:22 AM

How do you feel about Wisconsin going forward, knowing that the horizontal installs are becoming a thing of the past in favor of the newer monstrous installs?
Looking through Milwaukee a bit (as I heard that's where most of the newer monstrous installs are), I don't like them as much as the older layouts. Personally, I don't like having 1 overhead signal per lane, as that clutters the overhead for wide roads, and makes the mast arm long. Much prefer a "cleaner" overhead by having 1 overhead for every 2 lanes or so, and the rest as well-placed supplementals (at least a near-side and far-side). But at least they kept the near-side supplementals!

CtrlAltDel

I don't like Texas's sideways orientation for stoplights.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Great Lakes Roads

Indiana's span-wire installs are the best based on my travels across various US states.

Ned Weasel

A large part of me wants to say Michigan, because I love those backlit regulatory sign boxes, and I actually like the span wire installations and the multiple signal faces hung from a single support.  This is a good example: https://goo.gl/maps/8EfStatsWe3ygUhH7 .  Unfortunately, those backlit sign boxes are prone to fading: https://goo.gl/maps/LbsK1eQpnngYqzwNA .

Another favorite is New Jersey, because I love the trusses (although they aren't everywhere), and it's helpful that most of the street signs on state and county routes have both the shield and the street name, and I think the "backwards-facing" traffic signals are a good idea (and they help with Vienna Convention compliance, if anyone cares).  Here's an example that has all of the above: https://goo.gl/maps/kUhNWmRzQkzX6cxB9

Honorable mention goes to Texas, simply because I love horizontal traffic lights, and sometimes they do some other good things.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 30, 2022, 01:04:12 AM

So is your answer a 49-way tie between every other state, then?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2022, 09:20:28 AM

Except New Mexico, Wisconsin, and a lot of Nebraska.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on April 30, 2022, 02:45:25 AM
Indiana's span-wire installs are the best based on my travels across various US states.

I like them too, what with the bottom wire that helps stabilize the signals. I don't remember having seen that particular installation in any other states; you would think that hurricane-prone Florida and South Carolina, where span wires are common, might want that extra stability.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2022, 09:20:28 AM

I can't argue with that.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

SkyPesos

Quote from: KCRoadFan on May 02, 2022, 01:06:39 PM

I like them too, what with the bottom wire that helps stabilize the signals. I don't remember having seen that particular installation in any other states
Ohio

SeriesE

All states that use mast arms with individual arms for each direction (so this excludes New York)

• Mast arms look more modern and sturdy
  • Individual mast arms per direction makes the signal visibility optimal for all directions
  • Possible to have signals for specific lanes

Revive 755

I like them too, what with the bottom wire that helps stabilize the signals. I don't remember having seen that particular installation in any other states; you would think that hurricane-prone Florida and South Carolina, where span wires are common, might want that extra stability.

There's a signal on US 51 in DuQuoin, IL that looks like it was based on the standard INDOT spanwire design  Most other span wire installs in Illinois use a two wire design:

* Example in downtown Belleville

* Another example in downtown Belleville

* Example on NB IL 29 in Peoria (IIRC this one was supposed to be replaced with a standard mast arm)

The temporary span wire signals usually used for construction projects in Illinois also use two wire but usually have more sag.

Missouri also uses a bottom wire for permanent span wire installs:

* Example on MO 30 near St. Louis

* Example on MO 141

* Example on US 67

plain

There's some places in VA that have the bottom wire on wire spans, but they're slowly going away (mostly because they've been getting replaced with mast arms, which is the VDOT standard nowadays). And I'm definitely talking about VDOT installs as the cities rarely use bottom wires.

Still not nearly as clean as IN or OH though.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/bmNXev82ndVR9VEt7
https://maps.app.goo.gl/tdzFvwLTRPruT3up6
https://maps.app.goo.gl/2wFYRnURnptD2rJ57
https://maps.app.goo.gl/gMu6CJMu8CZVEALv8
Newark born, Richmond bred

Hobart

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 02, 2022, 10:25:13 PM

There's a signal on US 51 in DuQuoin, IL that looks like it was based on the standard INDOT spanwire design  Most other span wire installs in Illinois use a two wire design:

* Example on NB IL 29 in Peoria (IIRC this one was supposed to be replaced with a standard mast arm)

The temporary span wire signals usually used for construction projects in Illinois also use two wire but usually have more sag.

* Example on MO 141

* Example on US 67

I like how the US-51 example still follows IDOT standard practice of a far side left supplemental for left turn signals. I wish more states would do this, even if they use span wires.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Hobart on May 03, 2022, 01:32:14 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on May 02, 2022, 10:25:13 PM

* Example on MO 141

* Example on US 67

I like how the US-51 example still follows IDOT standard practice of a far side left supplemental for left turn signals. I wish more states would do this, even if they use span wires.
I work a decent amount in DuQuoin, so I am familiar with that signal. IDOT has since fixed it, but for about 6-9 months the last calendar year, one of the Towers (I believe the SB Traffic Tower) was no longer vertical - was about a 70 degree offset from the span wire instead of a vertical 90 degree. Not sure if it was wind caused or an overheight vehicle struck it, but its history now since IDOT has fixed it back to vertical

That signal is the only span wire installation in DuQuoin. The other signals along US 51 (only thru road with signals in town) are all standard IDOT mast arms

Still unusual to see an Indiana-style span wire installation with 5 section towers instead of doghouses, but it is IL so no on the doghouses!

Henry

Ranking the three states I've lived in so far:

CA > IL > WA
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jakeroot

I have long been partial to California and Illinois, but lately, I've come to appreciate New Mexico a lot. I actually like the horizontal signals, but they use a ton of supplemental signals too, and generally only use one or two overhead signals even on wide roads (my preference). I also like that they don't use backplates for their post-mounted signals.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on May 19, 2022, 06:54:51 PM
I also like that they don't use backplates for their post-mounted signals.

What's wrong with having backplates on a post-mounted signal? I can maybe understand when a signal head is mounted on the side of a mast, but I prefer a free-standing post-mounted signal head to have a backplate so it's easier to see.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US 89

I have long been partial to California and Illinois, but lately, I've come to appreciate New Mexico a lot. I actually like the horizontal signals, but they use a ton of supplemental signals too, and generally only use one or two overhead signals even on wide roads (my preference). I also like that they don't use backplates for their post-mounted signals.

The thing I don't like about New Mexico is that at least in Albuquerque, the vast majority of left turn signals are post mounted at the far median or far left corner, and rarely ever overhead. Those are great as supplemental signals but there really should be a primary overhead in my opinion. More than once I've nearly run a red on a left turn in ABQ because I was looking only at the overhead green thru signals and almost missed the red arrow on the far median post.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on May 23, 2022, 11:23:54 AM
I also like that they don't use backplates for their post-mounted signals.

What's wrong with having backplates on a post-mounted signal? I can maybe understand when a signal head is mounted on the side of a mast, but I prefer a free-standing post-mounted signal head to have a backplate so it's easier to see.

To be totally clear, I don't dislike backplates on post-mounted signals. It's a very minor preference of mine to not have them. It's entirely aesthetic, as I find post-mounted signals without backplates tend to have a slimmer appearance, and can be bunched together a bit easier. They also tend to be less likely to get hit, or have their backplate torn off or damaged.

Quote from: US 89 on May 23, 2022, 11:45:03 AM
The thing I don't like about New Mexico is that at least in Albuquerque, the vast majority of left turn signals are post mounted at the far median or far left corner, and rarely ever overhead. Those are great as supplemental signals but there really should be a primary overhead in my opinion. More than once I've nearly run a red on a left turn in ABQ because I was looking only at the overhead green thru signals and almost missed the red arrow on the far median post.

Interesting. Many protected-only left turns in British Columbia are post-mounted only, including an eye-level near-side signal. So in this way, I'm very used to seeing left turn signals mounted only on posts and don't find it unusual. So there may be some bias here, but in both ways, as Utah and Georgia almost never use post-mounted signals (except at SPUIs in Utah) and so you may be less likely to watch for them. Maybe. Don't want to assume anything, of course.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.