News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Interesting.  Thanks 4 the info. :coffee:

sonysnob

palisades

Just a quick drive on the 401 heading into the basketweve

[Edit: link deleted]

Alps

Quote from: palisades on October 26, 2009, 11:14:59 PM
Just a quick drive on the 401 heading into the basketweve

[Edit: link deleted]

Palisades - You will have to host your image on a different site.  It's not coming through from where you're hosting it, and in order to view it, people have to log in.

un1

Bump..

I just finished the list of highways on the first page, now it includes the unmarked roads, 7,000 series.

So how about another picture?

I've been there before!

Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

yanksfan6129

un1

Right near the ferry docks on highway 6 on Manitoulin Island. (South Baymouth)

joseph1723

Here's a few pictures I got of the newest 400 series highway, the final phase of the 410 extension which opened in mid November 2009.

Here's map of the section of newly opened freeway from Wikipedia click to enlarge:

Looking south at the split where former highway 10(Hurontario Street) would have split from highway 410.

The diagrammatic showing the split.

The overhead at the gore point of the split.

And finally the southbound gore signage for Mayfield Road.

haljackey

Cool, thanks for sharing joseph1723!

rickmastfan67

Very nice.  Was wondering how they would do the signage where ON-10 becomes ON-410.

===

Hey un, have you seen the Ontario Routes I did for the CHM project yet?  I've already shown off the previews @ the ontroads's Yahoo Group.  And from that, I know I still have to make minor tweaks the following King's Highways: 4(need to split this one because of London not having a connecting link), 41, 48, & 148

Here's the link to the stuff.   Please let me know if you see anything else that might be wrong:
http://cmap.m-plex.com/hb/selecthwys.php?sys=canon&rg=all&mt=g&gr=p&sub=Show#r

un1

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 26, 2009, 07:39:14 PM
Hey un, have you seen the Ontario Routes I did for the CHM project yet?  I've already shown off the previews @ the ontroads's Yahoo Group.  And from that, I know I still have to make minor tweaks the following King's Highways: 4(need to split this one because of London not having a connecting link), 41, 48, & 148

Here's the link to the stuff.   Please let me know if you see anything else that might be wrong:

No I haven't, I've been very busy. I only to browse the forums I am active on (Which are currently Simtropolis, AARoads, Airliners.net) and being on the Simtropolis Help Squad takes a little bit more time too. I will look over for any errors, If I do I'll tell you. So far it looks very accurate, but I know there is quite a bit to look over.

haljackey

have you seen the Ontario Routes I did for the CHM project yet?  I've already shown off the previews @ the ontroads's Yahoo Group.  And from that, I know I still have to make minor tweaks the following King's Highways: 4(need to split this one because of London not having a connecting link), 41, 48, & 148

Here's the link to the stuff.   Please let me know if you see anything else that might be wrong:

I can tell you that Highway 4 looks correct, except for the east/west link in London.  Northbound is the street to the south, southbound is the street to the north.  Its odd how the two directions don't follow the same road... no one seems to know how to route the thing through the city correctly.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: haljackey on December 27, 2009, 12:04:36 AM
have you seen the Ontario Routes I did for the CHM project yet?  I've already shown off the previews @ the ontroads's Yahoo Group.  And from that, I know I still have to make minor tweaks the following King's Highways: 4(need to split this one because of London not having a connecting link), 41, 48, & 148

I can tell you that Highway 4 looks correct, except for the east/west link in London.  Northbound is the street to the south, southbound is the street to the north.  Its odd how the two directions don't follow the same road... no one seems to know how to route the thing through the city correctly.

We split routes in half it they travel on separate streets.  And as far as I have been told, 4 (while it may be signed) no longer exists in London as the Connecting Link has been terminated.

joseph1723

Thanks I had some more pic of the ON 410 extension but they came out too dim or blurry.

===

have you seen the Ontario Routes I did for the CHM project yet?  I've already shown off the previews @ the ontroads's Yahoo Group.  And from that, I know I still have to make minor tweaks the following King's Highways: 4(need to split this one because of London not having a connecting link), 41, 48, & 148

Here's the link to the stuff.   Please let me know if you see anything else that might be wrong:

I can tell you that HIghway 7 is pretty accurate except I think that the section west of Markham Bypass RR48 was downloaded to York Region in 2006 - 2007. I'll need tio check that though, aside from that, the rest seems to be pretty accurate. 

haljackey

Quote from: HighwayMaster on December 28, 2009, 02:05:25 PM
If the MTO was logical enough, then these would be the correct 400-series numbers:

400 from Toronto to Barrie=411
The rest of 400=469
401=402
402=422
403=405
404=448
405=408A
406=458
409=401
QEW=408

Umm... why?

A lot of them are numbered as such because they follow a similar route of a corresponding number.  For example, highway 410 follows highway 10, and thus it is named as such.

Are you implying the even/odd thing in terms of route direction?  That works well in the US, but in Canada it doesn't make sense since we don't have many highways that run up to the north coast.

rickmastfan67

HighwayMaster, never in a million years would the QEW be renamed.  There is just way too much history in that designation.

TheStranger

Quote from: haljackey on December 28, 2009, 11:18:32 PM

Umm... why?

A lot of them are numbered as such because they follow a similar route of a corresponding number.  For example, highway 410 follows highway 10, and thus it is named as such.

It seems that in some of the hypotheticals posed in that post (i.e. 469), it's an attempt at extending the current numbering system on all 400-series routes - but most of the 400 routes below 410 were created or planned in sequential order in the 1960s, thus their lack of correspondence to the parallel corridor's number (400, 401, 403).
Chris Sampang

haljackey

Some new photos from Onthighways.com

407:

410 extension:

Open:

Under construction:

rickmastfan67

Hal, do you have permission from Scott (the person that runs onthighways.com) to be hot linking his pictures here?

If not, I would recommend uploading them to Photobucket and still give him credit here.

un1

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 20, 2010, 07:33:49 PM
Hal, do you have permission from Scott (the person that runs onthighways.com) to be hot linking his pictures here?

If not, I would recommend uploading them to Photobucket and still give him credit here.

Sorry to bump this topic, but we have already gone through this discussion, located here (scroll down after my post to see dtp's final decision).

Also, just to add, hal's photobucket space is used up.

haljackey

Here's a neat overview of Highway 407: Canada's only electronic toll highway.

haljackey

HOV lane design in Ontario

Note the paved shoulder and the stripped buffer zone.  The appearance of these lanes is very different compared to elsewhere in Canada and the United States.

-If you drive a vehicle with a "Green" Ontario license plate you can drive in HOV lanes with no occupants.

mightyace

Quote from: haljackey on April 06, 2010, 12:49:17 AM
-If you drive a vehicle with a "Green" Ontario license plate you can drive in HOV lanes with no occupants.

I assume that you mean no additional occupants or no passengers.

A car with no occupants, even a green one, would be extremely dangerous.  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

Quote from: haljackey on March 31, 2010, 07:22:22 PM
Here's a neat overview of Highway 407: Canada's only electronic toll highway.

Question on that photo - Is the right of way, and are the bridges, designed to accommodate dual outer carriageways based on future traffic volumes?

Bickendan

Quote from: mightyace on April 06, 2010, 04:47:05 PM
Quote from: haljackey on April 06, 2010, 12:49:17 AM

I assume that you mean no additional occupants or no passengers.

A car with no occupants, even a green one, would be extremely dangerous.  :sombrero:
No no -- no occupants whatsoever. Cars are expected to get jobs and support themselves these days, haven't you heard? They've got to drive themselves to work somehow.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.