News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Is the Indian Nation Turnpike illegal?

Started by bugo, June 09, 2012, 06:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchristy

Quote from: Road Hog on July 04, 2012, 05:25:25 PM
It's a stretch, but technically, U.S. 75 north from Atoka to near Henryetta is a free alternative on the north end, and OK-3 and U.S. 271 provide the same between Hugo and McAlester. Or one can take U.S. 69 straight through and double back on I-40.

The entire toll from end to end is only $4.75 one way, though, and it's worth it going to Tulsa. I can make it from my house to Tulsa in 2 1/2 hours and only have to pay $3.25 because I'm driving half of the turnpike.

Collin County to Tulsa in 2 1/2 hours?!?!?  What is your secret, especially with going through all those speed traps?

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 21, 2021, 01:44:09 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 21, 2021, 12:35:54 PM
I see no real mechanism to enforce the free alternative to a toll US highway AASHTO rule.

They can decline the establishment of the U.S. highway. There's no mechanism to stop a state from signing a U.S. route without AASHTO's permission, but that's true of any U.S. highway. (US-377 in Oklahoma was posted over AASHTO's objections, though ODOT did so to comply with a federal law mandating it be posted.) States comply because they want to maintain good standing with AASHTO.

To me, this is an argument for putting US routes under the jurisdiction of FHWA, like the interstates are, and removing the oversight from a voluntary organization like AASHTO.

I'm not sure what benefits accrue to states for staying in good standing with AASHTO, other than possibly being passed over for conferences like TransComm.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on June 25, 2021, 12:02:20 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 21, 2021, 01:44:09 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 21, 2021, 12:35:54 PM
I see no real mechanism to enforce the free alternative to a toll US highway AASHTO rule.

They can decline the establishment of the U.S. highway. There's no mechanism to stop a state from signing a U.S. route without AASHTO's permission, but that's true of any U.S. highway. (US-377 in Oklahoma was posted over AASHTO's objections, though ODOT did so to comply with a federal law mandating it be posted.) States comply because they want to maintain good standing with AASHTO.

To me, this is an argument for putting US routes under the jurisdiction of FHWA, like the interstates are, and removing the oversight from a voluntary organization like AASHTO.

I'm not sure what benefits accrue to states for staying in good standing with AASHTO, other than possibly being passed over for conferences like TransComm.

AASHTO also maintains a lot of policy documents, like the Green Book, that states might wish to exert influence over.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Road Hog

Quote from: dchristy on June 24, 2021, 03:46:24 PM
It's a stretch, but technically, U.S. 75 north from Atoka to near Henryetta is a free alternative on the north end, and OK-3 and U.S. 271 provide the same between Hugo and McAlester. Or one can take U.S. 69 straight through and double back on I-40.

The entire toll from end to end is only $4.75 one way, though, and it's worth it going to Tulsa. I can make it from my house to Tulsa in 2 1/2 hours and only have to pay $3.25 because I'm driving half of the turnpike.

Collin County to Tulsa in 2 1/2 hours?!?!?  What is your secret, especially with going through all those speed traps?
Outside of the speed traps, you can go over 70 no problem. And once you hit the turnpike you can really drop the hammer.

sprjus4

Google shows around 4 hours. In order to make it in 2 and a half hours, you'd have to average about 93 mph, and that's without slowing down through towns, otherwise your rural sections would have to hit higher, even into the 100 mph range.

I guess anything is possible though once you hit the open road.

I've gone significant distances on rural interstate highways maintaining 90 mph or greater throughout. Never went over 100 mph though. In Florida, that was merely just going with the flow.

dchristy

Quote from: Road Hog on June 25, 2021, 10:00:00 PM
Quote from: dchristy on June 24, 2021, 03:46:24 PM

Collin County to Tulsa in 2 1/2 hours?!?!?  What is your secret, especially with going through all those speed traps?Tu
Outside of the speed traps, you can go over 70 no problem. And once you hit the turnpike you can really drop the hammer.

I just know I have to allow three hours minimum from Sherman to Tulsa, especially with the construction at Calera and south of McAlester.  I would LOVE to make it in 2 and half hours.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.