News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

AARoads Page Updates

Started by Alex, January 19, 2009, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyle

QuoteThanks to snappyjack for helping with captions, all of our Interstate 88 NY coverage is finally online.

Is that all you have for Interstate 88 northbound?

Alex

Quote from: Lyle on February 05, 2009, 03:32:50 PM
QuoteThanks to snappyjack for helping with captions, all of our Interstate 88 NY coverage is finally online.

Is that all you have for Interstate 88 northbound?

All that we have for Interstate 88 is now posted.

andy3175

Will look into the future interstates page and Nebraska 2, altho probably not for a few days ... latest updates from California include I-10 (completed in both directions throughout the state), a few I-10 business loops, California 66's east end at I-215, and California 71 at Holt Avenue. Work on California 91 is proceeding ... I will soon have westbound done from I-215 all the way to the ocean (although some photos will still be the older ones pre-2004).

Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

wishfulanthony

I might start off having a topic on the Philippine Highway system (and telling you the ups and downs, sights and sounds... even my comments on them) because in my own country, with nearly 200,000 km (120,000 miles) of roads and highways, the Philippines has an extensive network, many of which connecting islands. I could also tell you my reflections about my home city, Manila's, highways, alleyways, and roads -- many of which I call as notoriously bad for many reasons.

How's that for a treat?
Very truly yours,

Anthony
----------------------------
Proud to be Filipino

Alex

Our Interstate 410 guides for San Antonio now include coverage of the Outer Loop roughly between Interstate 10 & U.S. 90 on the east side to U.S. 90 on the west side of town. Also updated is the Inner Loop page covering I-35/410 southbound with updated photos.

2008 photos and captions by Justin Cozart. 2007 photos taken with Justin on a trip to Laredo from Dallas.

Alex

Continuing the San Antonio area updates, I've added Justin's northbound photos of U.S. 281 from Interstates 35 and 37 to the Comal County line. These show the new stack interchange with Interstate 410.

My next update will continue with his coverage northward to Hico.

74/171FAN

I know that VA 288 has been complete for over 4 years but the Richmond-Petersburg article doesn't have it finished but "slated for completion in mid-2004"  and the map still shows VA 288 under construction between VA 6/Patterson Ave and SR 720/Lucks Ln.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex

Want to help me update the text for the Richmond page?

74/171FAN

Basically that  VA 288 was completed in late 2004(with construction of the SR 3840/Woolridge Rd going into 2005) from VA 76 to I-64, which lets traffic coming from I-95 North to I-64 West and vice versa not have to travel through Downtown Richmond. It was also a PPTA(public-private project) like VA 895 and it connects to I-64 only 1-2 miles west of I-295
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex

I've completed the page additions for U.S. 281 leading north from San Antonio to Hico with Justin's material. Three new pages are listed on the updates page.

PGHammer

After (practically immediately after) crossing the Potomac River via the Francis Scott Key Bridge, US 29 leaves the DC approach for the elevated Whitehurst Freeway; US 211 (pre-retraction) did not.  Instead, it turned right along M Street, NW (a major thoroughfare, even then) to Wisconsin Avenue (originally the southern reaches of US 240) and then, turning right on Wisconsin, went down to the foot of Georgetown (Wisconsin @ K) where Wisconsin Avenue (and US 240) ended.  However, US 211 still did not end (though it was actually *under* the WhiteHurst Freeway, and US 29, the two would only briefly interact once more).  Coming east along K Street, underneath the Whitehurst Freeway (and US 29).  K Street kept east to the confluence of K Street, the Potomac Freeway, and the eastern end of the Whitehurst Freeway (meeting both US 29 and Interstate 66 along the way).  US 29 would pick up K Street here (which it does today), while Interstate 66 and US 211 would form a brief duplex (brief being only the length of the nearby Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, which the Potomac Freeway passes to the east), where I-66 collects US 50 and starts the westward trek toward the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge, while US 211 continues east to meet US 1 at 14th Street and Independence Avenue (coming to that intersection, and its end, from the west, via Independence Avenue and Hains Point Park in the vicinity of the Washington Monument and the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials).

Steve Kozel's "Roads To the Future" illustrates all those never-built urban freeways in the vicinity of the Kennedy Center and Key Bridge; all of them have a US route tie in somewhere (or would have, in the case of US 240 and I-66).  US 240's southern augmentation (remember, US 240 was originally Wisconsin Avenue/Rockville Pike, especially in Montgomery County and the District itself) was the southern routing of I-70S (which, naturally, was never built).  Because I-66 and US 29 (especially in Virginia) twist and turn about each other through most of the Interstate's length, there was an understandable thought that this would have contunued in the Federal city.  However, signage that is still posted belies that theory; in particular, the in-city routings of US 29 and the old pre-decommissioning routing of US 211 and US 240. At the eastern approach to the Whitehurst Freeway (from K Street), you still have the option of remaining on K to Wisconsin Avenue (this is the Georgetown Park section of the city, still renowned as a shopping district; many trendy shops can be found here, including Dean and Deluca).  A green button-copy sign used to be here indicating that K Street at this point was US 211 (US 29 was still the Whitehurst Freeway west, though US 29 was marked "south") and indicating that continuing west on K would take you to US 240/Wisconsin Avenue.  (The Freeway did then, and does now, take a viaduct over both K Street and the C&O Canal.)  The very fact that US 29 used the Key Bridge as its crossing into the District, while I-66 instead teamed up with US 50 to cross via the Teddy Roosevelt Bridge, and the Interstate's routing over the Potomac (but not the Whitehurst) Freeway, further proves that the US route being augmented was not US 29, but US 211 (which had not been truncated yet).

Alex

More of Carter's material from 2004 is now online for Louisville, thus completing what he sent us from the Louisville aspect of his trip years ago. I know that a lot of the signs up there are now in Clearview, but for now some additional pages are available for I-65 south, I-264 east, and I-265 east.

Alex

Interstate 275 pages around Cincinnati are finally complete:
Kentucky
Indiana

Next up, the final batch of Carter's photos from the Clarksville/New Albany area of southern Indiana.

FLRoads

I've been working on some Florida roads and now have the following complete:

Florida 31
Florida 78
Florida 80

I will be continuing on my southwest Florida brigade and am currently working on Lee County 876, with U.S. 41 and Lee County 885 following that.

Alex

FLRoads

Lee County 876 has been created and is located in the Florida section with a link under Florida County Roads. I will work on U.S. 41 next...

Lyle

You know, I was thinking, when you write captions for the photos, how about putting in the name of the photographer? I notice that is done here only sporadically (mostly on the Interstate Guide pages), but it would be useful. If it's a group effort (for example, if there are two photographers on the same trip), then put in both names. What do you guys think?

Alex

I could cite the photographer by date on the top of the page? Would that help?

Lyle

Quote from: aaroads on February 23, 2009, 12:21:49 AM
I could cite the photographer by date on the top of the page? Would that help?

Yes, it would. Thank you.

Alex

U.S. 180 westbound guides from the split with Interstate 20 to the split with Texas 6 west of Albany are now online.

Alex

Decided to shift back for a bit to areas where I'm more knowledgeable, Northwest Florida. Added a Santa Rosa County 89 section to the NW Florida County Roads page. Also added CR 184 photos from south of Milton, CR 399 photos from the Navarre and Midway area, and new coverage of Florida 87 between U.S. 90 and 98.

FLRoads

Only had time to do a quick page today so I decided to do Lee County 78A (Pondella Road). I am slowly working my way around my home turf and will probably create a Southwest Florida page one of these days and incorporate all the area's road pages into there.

Alex

Tying up more loose ends, some updates I started in October involving Interstate 85 northbound in North Carolina are now finished. Photos from 2005 covering the stretch between the Concord area and High Point are now online.

June of 2005 was the last time I drove that stretch of freeway, so if anyone wants to contribute photos of the reconstructed stretch through Salisbury, I'd be happy to post them (Same goes for the stretch through Durham).

Alex

I overhauled the northbound guides to Interstate 95 in North Carolina with photos taken 05/30/07 and 12/16/07. The pages are now split by county too.

Continuing the updates, a short page covering a snippet of U.S. 301 south of Fayetteville is now also online.

Further updates will focus on Business Loop I-95 through Fayetteville, U.S. 220 through most of the state, and the entire length of Interstate 73 and Future Interstate 73.

Andy continues work on U.S. 101 updates in California as well.

Chris

How many pictures does the AAroads site have?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.