News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

RTOR in Beaconsfield

Started by Dr Frankenstein, October 06, 2012, 09:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Frankenstein

The Woodland A-20 exit in Beaconsfield is the only place I know on the Island of Montreal where right turns on red are permitted. However I don't agree with the way they signed it.

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=45.427779,-73.885689&spn=84.209798,214.277344&t=v&z=3&layer=c&panoid=Km3y5kUsFq78DsIIMfXJIg&cbll=45.427779,-73.885689&cbp=13,19.258137939873368,,2,-4.282859518602876

They added a steady yellow right arrow unit to the signal which lights up when it's red. As far as I know, steady yellow means "go through only if you can't stop", while they probably meant "after stop, right turn permitted". They could have used a FYA (turn right if clear), or a FRA (turn right if clear, after stop).

Stephane Dumas

That reminds me when I was younger, in some traffic lights on PQ-112 in Thetford Mines, the traffic lights got a yellow right arrow althought it was in the traffic light set and not a steady yellow right arrow added after. These set was replaced.

I begin to ponder, with the flashing yellow arrow for left turns. How about a flashing yellow arrow for right turns on red?

The High Plains Traveler

^With the FYA for left turn, it isn't mandatory to come to a full stop, just slow enough to ensure you can turn safely. There is a rarely used FRA option as well, requiring a full stop. Since a full stop is mandatory for right turn on red (except in places where there is a channelized right turn lane that allows a yield or provides a continuous lane), a FRA for right turn would be the only legitimate option.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Dr Frankenstein

I think a FRA would be the legitimate option too. And Stephane, there is at least another signal in Beaconsfield where the yellow arrow is part of the main assembly. I guess those ones are newer.

webfil

That yellow arrow light means GTFO; if you are facing a red light there, it's because you betrayed the preceding signal (or came too slowly), because lights are set so that the one you show there is green whenever (and shortly after) NB Woodland and WB A-20 offramp lights have turned green.

This setting prevents vehicles from stopping on the tracks or from blocking the utilitary parking at the station.

The 4 sets of railroad tracks next to A-20 is quite a signage challenge there.

Dr Frankenstein

I partly agree with you, Webfil; however, not shown on GMSV is a similar setup on the signal for the ramp from A-20 WB (except the yellow arrows are part of the main signal), with a sign that says "UNPROTECTED RIGHT TURN ON YELLOW ARROW", which suggests "GTFO" is not necessarily the intended message everywhere.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.