AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unified Canadian Highway System  (Read 3737 times)

andrepoiy

• Last Login: Today at 09:03:02 AM
Re: Unified Canadian Highway System
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2022, 01:58:58 PM »

Having a coast to coast Highway would go a long way toward a National Highway System. Speaking of: does anyone think there will be a fixed-link freeway from Vancouver to Halifax by the end of the century? There are already some movements toward that: Autoroute 85 soon will close the gap between Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces. Ontario is building Route 400 toward Sudbury. British Columbia plans on twinning Route 1 to close to Alberta by 2050. That leaves Alberta to Ontario, which is a huge gap (2,263 miles). But there are some big cities along there, including Calgary and Winnipeg. Winnipeg to Sudbury is the biggest hurdle, at 1,000 miles with few big cities. On the upside for feasibility, Ontario is the most populated province, although they’re mostly focused on the Windsor to Ottawa corridor. After all, half of Canada lives between Windsor and Quebec City.

What do you think?

Full freeway will probably not happen for the Ontario stretch. Why they are even extending Hwy 400 from Toronto to Sudbury was really just political lobbying, since full-controlled access isn't really necessary for that stretch.

yakra

• Last Login: Today at 08:46:15 AM
Re: Unified Canadian Highway System
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2022, 06:12:26 PM »

Back in the '80s....a new Super 2 section of highway was built from near Mill Cove to Jemseg to bypass an accident prone section of the TCH (now NB105) along the lake. This  was  eventually twinned and became part of the new 4-lane TCH.
The tree line gives away the old alignment:
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.8734498,-66.0170315,1500m/data=!3m1!1e3

Would this Super 2 have connected to the old 105 bridge that closed a few years back, or would the current TCH 2 bridge(s) have been part of that project?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.