News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Peace Arch Border Crossing Closed?

Started by BridgesToIdealism, September 01, 2020, 06:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BridgesToIdealism

What's up with this apparent closure of Interstate 5 southbound at the Peace Arch Border Crossing?
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

zzcarp

I assume it has to do with the border closings due to the vast governmental overreactions to COVID19.
So many miles and so many roads

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: zzcarp on September 01, 2020, 08:18:21 PM
I assume it has to do with the border closings due to the vast governmental overreactions to COVID19.

You'd have to blame this on the Canadians.  They've somehow figured out how to control the virus and they don't want any more from us.

Alps

Despite restrictions, most borders are generally open, just selective as to who gets through. Is I-5 actually closed? Notice the parallel crossing is not so designated.

Bruce

There are no active construction alerts from WSDOT or local news outlets, so I think this is just a mislabeling on Google's part. They do use some user-generated data for these kinds of traffic alerts, so it might be faulty.

As for the border restrictions, it's only right for Canada to restrict Americans from crossing over and spreading the virus. It's their sovereign territory and they have a duty to protect their citizens from an actual threat. It's not made any better by Americans using the "Alaska loophole" to vacation in BC and endanger communities.

On the bright side, Point Roberts now has a once-a-week ferry to help with the whole situation. Hopefully it sticks around long after COVID as an option for car-free visiting of a unique slice of the U.S.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Alps on September 01, 2020, 11:42:23 PM
Despite restrictions, most borders are generally open, just selective as to who gets through. Is I-5 actually closed? Notice the parallel crossing is not so designated.

Since the Peach Arch crossing does not accept trucks, then closing that one would make the most sense.  I don't see any other info on that either.

TXtoNJ

I went south across Peace Arch this morning. It's showing up as closed because you're forced to go through the enhanced search loop instead of straight onto 5 (even though no search was done in my case). Google's traffic algorithm likely has that entire segment as one block, so it shows up as closed entirely.

KEK Inc.

I drove up to Bellingham this evening and noticed that the VMS signs near Fairhaven for the border crossing still post time estimates for the truck bypass and Peace Arch (both were under 5 minutes).
Take the road less traveled.

Sub-Urbanite

The border is open. However, Canada, like almost every other country, doesn't want us to come visit because they are doing a better job than us at controlling the virus.

Brandon

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on September 11, 2020, 04:02:40 PM
The border is open. However, Canada, like almost every other country, doesn't want us to come visit because they are doing a better job than us at controlling the virus.

They are?  We're only #11 in cases per 1 million population: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

vdeane

Quote from: Brandon on September 12, 2020, 09:40:23 PM

They are?  We're only #11 in cases per 1 million population: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
11/213.  Canada is 81.  We have about 5-6 times as many cases per million as they do according to that site.  And the US has been under-testing throughout the pandemic, so our numbers are almost certainly higher.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SectorZ

Quote from: vdeane on September 12, 2020, 10:36:22 PM

11/213.  Canada is 81.  We have about 5-6 times as many cases per million as they do according to that site.  And the US has been under-testing throughout the pandemic, so our numbers are almost certainly higher.

Undertesting? Massachusetts over a quarter of the residents have been tested at this point (1.9M as of yesterday with 2.9M total tests). That seems like a pretty darn high number.

Brandon

The US has tested 276,720 per 1 million population as of 9/12.  Canada has tested 160,526 per 1 million.  If anything, it is Canada that is under-testing here, not the US.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hotdogPi

The two previous posts (SectorZ and Brandon), taken together, mean that Massachusetts is not testing way more than other states like I thought it was; 276720/1000000 ≈ 1/4. Am I missing something, was I mistaken, or is one of the two numbers wrong?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

vdeane

Quote from: Brandon on September 13, 2020, 09:23:23 AM

The US has tested 276,720 per 1 million population as of 9/12.  Canada has tested 160,526 per 1 million.  If anything, it is Canada that is under-testing here, not the US.
Some things to keep in mind:
-Testing in the US is far from uniform.  There's lots of testing in the northeast, not so much in, say, the south.
-Canada has less of an outbreak, which means fewer tests.  The fact that anyone who wants a test can get one with far quicker turnaround than even states that are taking this seriously speaks for itself.
-Those numbers for total cases are TOTAL - the whole length of the pandemic.  The US was very much not on its testing game in the early stages, far less than our peers, even in states taking this seriously.
-This US has by far more active cases than everyone else.  This is not just a matter of population.  We have 2.5 times as many active cases as the next nation down (India).  India has four times as many people as we do.  In terms of percent of the population, we have 38.5 times as many active cases as Canada.

Suffice to say, Canada is handling this far better than we are.  I would not be surprised if even New York, which is managing this pretty well by US standards, still has a higher rate of cases than the worst parts of Canada.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

There are already COVID topics elsewhere in this forum. Please keep the focus on Peace Arch.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.