News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Old news.  The News & Observer reported on it after the public meeting back in February.

Quote from: News&ObserverGreen said NCDOT tried to minimize the impact to businesses at the interchange, including the Travelers Inn and two gas stations, but the plans show a car repair shop and several homes would be taken.

NCDOT has the full PDF map online.

Unfortunately, the map doesn't really show driveway locations, but I would imagine the gas stations would each receive a driveway on their respective sides of 701.  "Left-turning" drivers could use the roundabouts to access the opposite direction.

Regarding Finrod's complaint, "standard intersections" instead of roundabouts would not help the access to/from the gas stations and the Travelers Inn, and in fact would be more of a safety/crash issue.

At first blush, I'd have thought going with a single, larger-radius traffic circle on the southbound side would be a better option and would also cut down on the right-of-way requirements and need to take out 2 of the houses along 301.

Finrod

People that live in that area don't understand and can't handle roundabouts.  There's a much simpler roundabout near the Smithfield Outback and it causes no end of problems.  The only way this roundabout clusterf*ck will solve traffic problems is by making people avoid the area entirely.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Due to the I-440 improvements project in Raleigh, the ramp from I-440 West to eastbound Wade Avenue will close for 2 years.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/201-11-07-beltline-ramp-closures.aspx

D-Dey65

Quote from: Finrod on November 07, 2019, 12:38:45 PM
People that live in that area don't understand and can't handle roundabouts.  There's a much simpler roundabout near the Smithfield Outback and it causes no end of problems.  The only way this roundabout clusterf*ck will solve traffic problems is by making people avoid the area entirely.
At least the one in Newton Grove seems reasonable. This contraption that NCDOT wants for Exit 90 is just straight-up looney!

Finrod

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 07, 2019, 10:03:45 PM
At least the one in Newton Grove seems reasonable. This contraption that NCDOT wants for Exit 90 is just straight-up looney!

The one in Newton Grove looks nice, has a substantial diameter, has its own road structure surrounding it (Circle Street) and avoids a six-way intersection where every road coming in is significant.  The Exit 90 plan has none of that going for it.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

froggie

So you're basing your argument against roundabouts on driver stupidity?  They'll never learn unless/until they have experience, which they won't get if there aren't any.

MNHighwayMan

People that live in that area can't handle change, and neither can I.

Fixed that for you.

D-Dey65

Whether you think rural North Carolina drivers can understand it or not, all NCDOT is really doing in this case is throwing an elaborate obstacle course in their way that keeps them from getting from point A to point B, for no reason.

goobnav

Quote from: froggie on November 08, 2019, 08:30:39 AM
So you're basing your argument against roundabouts on driver stupidity?  They'll never learn unless/until they have experience, which they won't get if there aren't any.

Actually for myself, experience, Johnston county is half rural and half Raleigh metro, plus with the I-95 crowd, that mix is a interesting and volatile.  25 years of living here and seeing it first hand.
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

LM117

NCDOT has received a BUILD grant to reconstruct 27 miles of I-95 in Robeson and Cumberland counties.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-11-08-ncdot-secures-build-grant-i-95.aspx

sprjus4

Quote from: LM117 on November 08, 2019, 03:52:28 PM
NCDOT has received a BUILD grant to reconstruct 27 miles of I-95 in Robeson and Cumberland counties.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2019/2019-11-08-ncdot-secures-build-grant-i-95.aspx
Obviously $22.5 million won't fully fund widening 27 miles of interstate from 4 to 8 lanes, but every bit certainly does help.

sprjus4

The widening project northeast of Charlotte to bring I-85 from 4 to 8 lanes has now opened all 8 lanes, 4 each way. The project is still underway, but all lanes are now opened to traffic.

With the completion of this project, a fully at least 6-lane (8-lanes for majority of the distance) corridor exists between Charlotte and the I-40 / I-85 split northwest of Raleigh. A project to widen I-40 between Chapel Hill and I-85 from 4-lanes to 6-lanes is set to begin in the next couple of years (though is currently suspended due to state-wide funding issues so could be longer), and once that's completed, a fully at least 6-lane interstate highway corridor will be in place between Downtown Raleigh and Downtown Charlotte.

New Lanes Open Marking Milestone for I-85 Project in Rowan Co.
QuoteLANDIS — The Interstate 85 widening project in Rowan County reached a significant turning point Friday as the h​ighway opened to four lanes in each direction.

This marks substantial completion of the larger project to widen 8 miles of I-85 in Cabarrus and Rowan counties. The Cabarrus portion, spanning from north of N.C. 73 to north of Lane Street, was set in its final traffic pattern in December 2018.

The 5.9-mile Rowan County section between Moose Road and the old U.S. 29/U.S. 601/I-85 connector consisted of four lanes since 1968. Construction on doubling that capacity began in the fall of 2016. The work took place under traffic shifts, with most of the widening occurring in the median.

The $159 million project in Rowan County also included constructing a new interchange for Old Beatty Ford Road, interchange improvements at N.C. 152/I-85 (Exit 68) and the N.C. 152/U.S. 29/U.S. 601 connector, and several bridges. The Old Beatty Ford Road interchange is scheduled to open after a ribbon cutting Tuesday morning.

Though this project is now mostly complete, drivers should still expect temporary lane closures throughout the work zone. There is still a considerable amount of work left before the scheduled project closeout date of June 2020.

LM117

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 08, 2019, 04:29:46 PM

Obviously $22.5 million won't fully fund widening 27 miles of interstate from 4 to 8 lanes, but every bit certainly does help.

Yep, especially now with NCDOT's funding problem.

tolbs17

Does anyone have reasons why the Southwest Bypass in Greenville is being called "NC 11 Bypass" instead of just "NC 11"?

Finrod

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 08, 2019, 09:06:18 AM
People that live in that area can't handle change, and neither can I.

Fixed that for you.

I don't live in that area.  My fiancee has family that does, however, which means I'm in the area semi-frequently.  Take your attitude and shove it.

Finrod

I'm saying that until they can prove they can handle the ones they have, throwing even more at them, especially multiple in succession, isn't a sound idea.

LM117

sprjus4

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on November 08, 2019, 05:56:46 PM
Does anyone have reasons why the Southwest Bypass in Greenville is being called "NC 11 Bypass" instead of just "NC 11"?
No different than US-17 Bypass around Elizabeth City and Hertford, US-70 Bypass around Goldsboro, US-74 Bypass around Monroe, US-64 Bypass around Rocky Mount, etc.

Then there's others where the bypass is getting the mainline and the other one gets business, like US-64 around Asheboro and most of the freeway between Raleigh and Williamston (Rocky Mount's segment randomly becomes US-64 Bypass), US-70 around Goldsboro, New Bern, and Havelock, US-17 around Edenton, Pollocksville, Maysville, and Jacksonville, etc.

It just seems to be random, but it's nothing unusual, like US-301 Alt being the bypass around Starke, FL.

tolbs17

When the I-795 extension from Goldsboro to I-40 is complete, should that be renumbered to I-495 or I-695? Because it won't be a spur anymore when it gets extended.

wdcrft63

Quote from: Finrod on November 09, 2019, 04:57:15 AM

I'm saying that until they can prove they can handle the ones they have, throwing even more at them, especially multiple in succession, isn't a sound idea.
I'm not endorsing that particular cluster of roundabouts, which does seem over the top, but people who have to use roundabouts every day will figure them out pretty quickly. Yes they will keep complaining. It was the same thing with the first SPUIs. Used properly roundabouts smooth traffic flow and put an end to T-bone accidents.

D-Dey65

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 08, 2019, 04:29:46 PM

They certainly need to raise the road higher over the Lumber River no matter what. I want to see the design, and the plan for detours during construction. Back in April I was caught in a traffic jam and detour through Lumberton back when NCDOT was working on that bridge over the railroad tracks, along with hundreds, if not thousands of other drivers. As a result, I was forced to stay at a motel that was further south than I wanted to be. I know they have to do work, but we always hope they can make it as inconvenient as possible for drivers who have to go around it.

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 09, 2019, 06:40:46 PM
I'm not endorsing that particular cluster of roundabouts, which does seem over the top, but people who have to use roundabouts every day will figure them out pretty quickly. Yes they will keep complaining. It was the same thing with the first SPUIs. Used properly roundabouts smooth traffic flow and put an end to T-bone accidents.
Whether we agree with the need for roundabouts here or not, I'm sure we can all agree that this proposal is absurd. BTW, NCDOT's reasoning behind it is to reduce confusion. Exactly what is it about this interchange that supposedly makes it so confusing? Perhaps I'm just guilty of looking at it through a roadgeek's perspective, than that of your average schmoe driver, but I just don't see it.

Finrod

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 09, 2019, 10:43:47 PM
Whether we agree with the need for roundabouts here or not, I'm sure we can all agree that this proposal is absurd. BTW, NCDOT's reasoning behind it is to reduce confusion. Exactly what is it about this interchange that supposedly makes it so confusing? Perhaps I'm just guilty of looking at it through a roadgeek's perspective, than that of your average schmoe driver, but I just don't see it.

I can see how the NW side (the Raleigh side) of the exit can be confusing.  US 301 North traffic has to merge in with the I-95 South offramp traffic at the same spot where that offramp traffic has to make a tight 160-degree left turn to access US 301 South.  I just think the roundabout cure is worse than the disease.

LM117

wdcrft63

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on November 09, 2019, 04:15:43 PM
When the I-795 extension from Goldsboro to I-40 is complete, should that be renumbered to I-495 or I-695? Because it won't be a spur anymore when it gets extended.
True, but keeping the number people know generally outranks a change to conform to the rules. No one is looking to change I-540 into I-640 at Raleigh, although it now connects I-40 on the west to I-87 on the east.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.