News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Planned 2015 road trips

Started by golden eagle, December 19, 2014, 07:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Around Memorial Day weekend, I'm going to visit Austin, TX, for the first time ever. I'm likely going by myself, unless I meet someone special before then. I'll drive through the DFW area to get there, though I may go to San Antonio while there. I also plan to drive through Houston on the way back. Once I hit Lake Charles, LA, I'll have to decide to go northeast towards Alexandria, or take I-10 to Lafayette. Going to Lafayette will allow me to clinch I-10 entirely in Louisiana.

I'm also thinking of a trip to Charlotte, NC, for Labor Day weekend (again, by myself). I'd be able to clinch all of I-85 in Georgia and South Carolina. That will depend on funds and vacation time.

hbelkins

I may try to get up to Tazewell and Bluefield, Va., to photograph the remaining cutouts and interesting-looking signage.

I also want to get up to Pikeville to drive on the new US 460 route.

That may be the extent of my travels. Financial shortfalls suck.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Due to delays in getting my car running I wasn't able to go back to Skyline Drive this year, so I want to do that. I also want to do a few day trips around the area and into neighboring states. I'm planning a trip on the day after Christmas, but I haven't decided where yet. I am leaning towards Williamsburg and Hampton Roads like years past.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

vdeane

My regular roadtrip season for 2015 only has three trips: one to clinch NY 80 and nearby roads (netting me a clinch of all Region 2 touring routes), one to clinch parts of US 4 and US 7, and one to clinch part of I-91.  In addition to that, though, is a zillion meets I hope to attend, including Baltimore, Scranton, maybe Cape May, Utica/Rome (hosting), Tappan Zee, Long Island, and Portland.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on December 20, 2014, 08:41:11 AM
My regular roadtrip season for 2015 only has three trips: one to clinch NY 80 and nearby roads (netting me a clinch of all Region 2 touring routes), one to clinch parts of US 4 and US 7, and one to clinch part of I-91.  In addition to that, though, is a zillion meets I hope to attend, including Baltimore, Scranton, maybe Cape May, Utica/Rome (hosting), Tappan Zee, Long Island, and Portland.

Long Island meet?  I was toying with the idea of hosting one there later in the year.  Is someone else already planning to do that?  Or did it spread through the grapevine that I was thinking of it?

Post Merge: December 20, 2014, 12:12:35 PM

Quote from: dgolub on December 20, 2014, 10:08:34 AM
Quote from: vdeane on December 20, 2014, 08:41:11 AM

Long Island meet?  I was toying with the idea of hosting one there later in the year.  Is someone else already planning to do that?  Or did it spread through the grapevine that I was thinking of it?

Oh, I had mentioned it in the 2015 meets thread and forgot that I did so.  Sorry for the confusion.

Alps

See the 2015 meets thread for my roadtrips. I'll be doing the UP and Madison meets out of Milwaukee, and the Denver meet will have a long tour around it of the various states I haven't seen enough of. Then there's two weeks in Eastern Europe in the fall.

oscar

Most likely Colorado/Utah for the Denver meet, and a separate trip to Edmonton combined with the Extra Miler Club annual meeting in northwestern Arkansas on the way back.

I would probably take my Prius on both trips.  One or the other (probably the first) should push that car over the 200k mark.

Additional trips possible, depending in part on road meet scheduling.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

wphiii

Going to try to do a Seattle-->Spokane-->Portland PNW triangle at the end of May. Maybe a trip to Savannah in March, but I may bus/train it instead.

Other than that, just the same old occasional serendipitous weekend exploration, probably a trip to a minor league ballpark or two. I would like to take a weekend and drive the old route of U.S. 120 from Philadelphia to Erie at some point when the weather turns.

1995hoo

Right now, none because we're trying to work out a trip to Italy instead.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 22, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Would you be doing any road-tripping in Italy?

My only visit to Italy as an adult was just three days in Milan.  I did no driving, but made a point of taking a bus rather than a train to Malpensa airport so I could claim a little mileage on Italy's motorways. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Laura

Because being in grad school means that I have long breaks but no money to spend on them, I think 2015 is going to be a localized road trip year for me, which is fine. There's a lot to see in this region that I haven't yet seen.

Mike and I haven't talked about next year and trips yet, but I'd love to do the Blue Ridge Parkway in its entirety. We'd really take our time and enjoy it, with stops for hiking and camping along the way. Honestly, if we decide to do this, I just want to leave it more spontaneous. Our last two vacation road trips were very planned, and we could use one where we just get time to explore without sticking to a strict schedule.

If the BRP doesn't happen, I'd also be more than happy to get out to Western MD and West Virginia to clinch some routes and go camping :)

As for meets, anything within MD-VA-PA-DE-NJ is fair game. Other close by states are maybe-nos and anything really far flung is looking like a no at this point.

1995hoo

Quote from: oscar on December 22, 2014, 10:10:53 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 22, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Would you be doing any road-tripping in Italy?

My only visit to Italy as an adult was just three days in Milan.  I did no driving, but made a point of taking a bus rather than a train to Malpensa airport so I could claim a little mileage on Italy's motorways.

Unlikely. Plan is to spend the entire time in Rome. I definitely won't do any driving. Cab, perhaps, though I've been told to be wary of them there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

adventurernumber1

Im hoping to go on my fourth mission trip in a row next summer, which will be in Arlington, Texas. I could be certain we'll drive there on a bus, since directions say itll be about 12 hours, which is how long the drive was on my Chicago mission trip in 2012. If we don't drive I'll be one disappointed guy  :biggrin:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

corco

I have several plans for next year:
1) Make good progress on the Montana highway system with a goal to finish by the end of 2016.
2) Get started and going on the Utah highway system as a point of focus (I have a small chunk of it from passing through it over the years).
3) Host the Denver meet. Given the timing, I anticipate taking a week long roadtrip prior to arriving in Denver. The focus of that trip will either be heading down to Baja California and then swinging back up through Tucson, or just clinching a bunch of highways in Utah.
4) Head over to the UP meet. I haven't decided how I'm going to tackle that- I would like to drive cross-Canada and spend a little time in Quebec, but we'll see.
5) Fly back east at a time next summer when there is a roadmeet back east and clinch a small northeastern state's highway system, probably either Delaware or New Jersey, and then spend a couple nights each in Washington and Brooklyn doing non-roads things.

agentsteel53

the biggest plan I've got on the docket for next year is approximately 3 weeks in South America, centering around Bolivia.

then the usual random weekend runs of 1500-3000 miles, generally centered around sign and/or license plate shows, or just needing an excuse to drive to New Mexico by way of Montana.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

I can relate to Laura.  Plenty of off-time during breaks, but little money and being in a tough location to break out of.

Mapmikey

My intentions for 2015:

Jan - going to Charleston SC, then taking separate round trips from there to Columbia SC, Melbourne FL, and Tallahassee FL.  Hoping to get all the US routings in SC I'm missing except US 321 at the NC border; eastern half of US 92; finish US 25 south of 25E-W split; a few FL and SC state routes

July - going to Indianapolis on business and will tack on a ride to Cahokia (St Louis area).  Intending to drive US 40 from Cambridge OH to St Louis (would give me all of 40 from western MO to Atlantic City) and US 50 from St Louis back to Clarksburg WV (would give me all of 50 east of St Louis).  I-865 in Indiana and not much else clinched I don't think.

Aug or Sept - trip to Toronto.  Won't fully clinch all that much, maybe I-279 and I-579 in Pgh; try to get all of US 62 in NY and I-90 west of Buffalo.

In Feb I intend to finish MD eastern shore and try to get everything north and east of Baltimore.

In March I think I'm going to try to finish the southern half of New Jersey's primary network.

I also intended to go finish US 19E which would also get me much of what I am missing in NC northeast of Asheville.

Another intended ride is to finish all WV US routes except US 30.

Another possibility is to go finish US 250 (missing Wheeling to US 6)

The 2015 Oneonta ride will clinch I-476 and get most of US 11 in NY; more US 20 and a little more I-90.  Outside chance to finish US 11 in PA as well.

When winter rolls around again I will concentrate on finishing Maryland between Frederick and Baltimore and work on suburban Baltimore if there is time.  I'm trying to finish Maryland's primary system by 2017.

Mapmikey

US 41

I only have 2 planned trips. Hopefully I'll be able to do them both.

1) Canada- Drive to Mackinac, MI. Then cross into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie, drive southeast to Toronto and to Niagra Falls. Cross back into the US and do to eastern Pennsylvania and drive back to Indiana taking the Pennsylvania Turnpike on the way back.

2) Drive to Mazatlan, Mexico taking 85D and 40D. I've never seen the Pacific Ocean and want to see the Autopista Durango-Mazatlan. Driving across the Northern Mexican Desert should be fun too.  :sombrero:
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Takumi

My cousins who live in the Outer Banks have invited me to visit them next summer, so I plan on taking them up on that. Not a whole lot to clinch there, but since it won't really be a road-focused trip that isn't a big deal.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ZLoth

I have a road trip planned in August where I will go from Sacramento to Las Vegas, NV, spend a week in Vegas to correspond with a Toastmasters conference, then travel to Las Vegas, NM, Denver, CO, then head west via I-70 and US-50.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

on_wisconsin

Drive the entire Illinois Tollway system.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

SSOWorld

I am seriously limiting my leisure travel in 2015.

That being said - I have Wisconsin's highway system down to a point that will allow me to clinch it in full if I wanted to with one or maybe two nights in a hotel around Eau Claire being required and hopes that there are no road closures that prevent clinching.  Much of this will be done in winter months due to that.

I also am slowly working on the Illinois system within day-trip range.

The only major travel I will be doing is around Labor Day weekend surrounding the Marquette (Michigan UP) meet.  I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to a Lake Superior circle tour (which obviously will mean going into Canada) or if I'm content with just driving up to Marquette and using that time to finish M- routes in the UP.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Dougtone

I'm trying to get even more hiking done in 2015.  I anticipate that a lot of my day trips will involve some sort of hiking or visiting a state park here in New York (I picked up an Empire Passport sticker over Cyber Monday).

Most of my travels will take me around the Northeast.  Outside this part of the country, I'll be taking what seems to be an annual trip to North Carolina in March, a trip to visit family in Oregon, plus I am planning to combine going to the Denver/Front Range meet with some exploration around Colorado and possibly New Mexico.

JMoses24

Nothing definitive as far as a roadtrip. I'm flying back to the Boston area in late October (doing the flight thing out of a desire to get there and back quickly more than anything, and I'm going there for a wedding.) While I'm there I will work on some more transit conquering.

Beyond that, I might try a weekend trip out of town on the bus, but I don't think another 24 hour ride is in the cards.

cjk374

I will be getting married the 1st week in June in Pawleys Island, SC.  This will be my big road trip for the year:

1)  New counties to clinch east of Augusta, GA and in SC.
2)  New stretch of I-20 to clinch (unfortunately I won't make it to I-20's eastern terminus).  :no:
3)  I'll get to see US 1 for the first time...even if it'll only be the shields on a BGS.  :-|
4)  I will see the highest numbered US routes I have ever seen: 501, 521, 601, 701. (425 is my current highest)
5)  My 1st time to see/drive I-95...even if it is just a few miles.

We also MIGHT make another trip to see her family in AL (Albertville-Boaz-Guntersville area) last week of March/1st week of April.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.