News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why isn’t Road Related Illustrations under user content?

Started by thspfc, August 10, 2019, 10:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Alps

thspfc

Alps

J N Winkler

The "Road Related Illustrations" sub-board was created to address the "Road Related Illustrations" mega-thread, which originally started within the General Highway Talk board.  I do not think it is a neat fit under User Content because many sign drawings start life as attempts to redesign clumsy real-life installations, which are often posted as Google StreetView screenshots rather than user photos.  The pros and cons of various redesign approaches also belong more properly under General Highway Talk rather than any of the User Content boards.

My preference would be to retain the status quo.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather see real photos and videos as opposed to drawings. I doubt I've looked at that "Road Related Illustrations" board more than five times.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on August 14, 2019, 11:43:07 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather see real photos and videos as opposed to drawings. I doubt I've looked at that "Road Related Illustrations" board more than five times.

I enjoy making my own sign drawings, but it's usually a specific sign I've been thinking about or want to improve. I've never had much interest in looking at other people's drawings though. :-P

Henry

While it is fun to make your own signs or maps, I'd like to keep Road-Related Illustrations hidden from nonusers, as the forum's main focus should be on the highways that we already have.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MNHighwayMan

You're aware that changing the category the board is in doesn't mean it has to change visibility, right?

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on August 14, 2019, 11:43:07 AM

God forbid anyone attempt to illustrate how they'd fix something.

adventurernumber1

I actually find it quite interesting to look at other peoples' drawings, illustrations, digital signs or etc., and whatnot.

And as Jake pointed out, there is also some valuable discussion to be had especially when someone draws something up with the intent of improving on an existing error, or just having a better or an alternative take on it. I know the Road-Related Illustrations board isn't of utmost interest to everybody, but it does have a lot of value, and posts and illustrations within it can be quite interesting to look at.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Henry

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on August 15, 2019, 05:24:30 AM
I actually find it quite interesting to look at other peoples’ drawings, illustrations, digital signs or etc., and whatnot.

And as Jake pointed out, there is also some valuable discussion to be had especially when someone draws something up with the intent of improving on an existing error, or just having a better or an alternative take on it. I know the Road-Related Illustrations board isn’t of utmost interest to everybody, but it does have a lot of value, and posts and illustrations within it can be quite interesting to look at.

I think you're right. I do enjoy looking at all the illustrations from time to time.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.