News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: dlsterner on April 23, 2023, 05:08:01 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 23, 2023, 04:11:12 PM
What is the alignment of MD 2 between I-95 and US 40?  About the only thing that TM has nailed down is that it follows Hanover Street at I-95 and Light Street from Key Highway to the St. Paul-Calvert one-way pair.  OSM has it follow Montgomery Street northbound and Lee/Charles/Hughes southbound, but the southbound alignment appears to contradict TM.  Signage is non-existent in either direction.  Does anyone know more definitely where it goes?

I used to drive that stretch of MD 2 several times a week back in the 1980's and 1990's, so I thought this should be easy to answer.  Turns out not as easy as I thought.

I believe TM does not take one-way routings into consideration, just waypoints.  So a one-way pair would be drawn as an "average" of the two (I think).  So I would tend to discount TM if there is a discrepancy.

As far as I remember, northbound has always been:  Hanover -> Montgomery (one-way) -> Light

Southbound, memory is a little fuzzier (maybe 90% sure).  I believe it was Light -> Lee (one-way) -> Charles -> Hughes (one-way) -> Hanover.  But I seem to recall it being somewhat poorly marked (but at least marked) as opposed to non-existent marking like GSM now shows.
That's the thing... TM is not taking an average at Key Highway.  That point is directly on the NB direction, as if both directions are still on Light at that point even though SB is supposedly elsewhere at that point.  Incidentally, the reason I noticed this is because I might be driving on it SB at some point and wanted to make sure I get the correct route clinched.  Maybe it's like US 1 in the Bronx where NB can travel on US 1 but SB has to leave US 1 and take local streets because of a turn restriction.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mapmikey

here's a MD 2 shield on SB Hanover at Montgomery - https://goo.gl/maps/ybRSZ6tXmY9uGMCz9

jmacswimmer

Google Maps seems to think that MD 2 SB follows Hughes the whole way from Light to Hanover, but it appears that traffic can only turn right at Charles and thus it is legally impossible to continue straight on Hughes across Charles (not that that stops people from trying, I imagine...). Combined with the fact the Hughes is rather narrow between Light & Charles (but a more standard city street width between Charles & Hanover), the Lee-Charles-Hughes routing would make more sense as others have suggested.

Another possible hint supporting the Lee-Charles-Hughes routing...looking at the HLR pdf that 74/171 linked to, the "route number" listed for MD 2 NB's intersection with E Hughes St is "MU 6145" (presumably some internal city designation...it's on page 24 of the HLR pdf for anyone interested). I would think that route number would instead show as MD 2 if SB did in fact follow Hughes the whole way? The intersection with Lee St isn't listed, unfortunately...the next intersection listed north of Hughes is Conway.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Mapmikey

page 161 of the 2021 HLR linked above has a map that appears to show the suspected routing.

page 2 of the 2004 HLR explicitly names the SB MD 2 couplet to be the suspected routing.

The SB couplet has had at least 2 other configurations: Light-Hill-Hanover and Light-Lee-Hanover

kernals12

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 02, 2023, 11:08:57 PM
I love how the staff absolutely rakes every single interior control lever (including the gear shifter) as hard as possible in their "testing". Knowing the build quality of some of these 80s cars, I'm surprised nothing came flying off after doing all that.
The cars that manufacturers give to the press aren't the same as the ones that people buy.

kernals12

Quote from: mcmc on March 14, 2023, 03:19:58 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on February 28, 2023, 08:30:45 PM
These bottom 2 were filmed on MD 795.  See this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orCUjmCZUzo which shows it signed (2:07 shows the opposite view at Franklin Blvd interchange; unobstructed MD 795 shield at 2:39).  They appear to be filming in this area: https://goo.gl/maps/YMF8agoX331ZT2kX6

What's going on here? The signs don't add up. There was never a MD 795; it was always I-795. And why the NYS state speed limit sign? Was this some kind of proving ground or a real freeway?

epzik8

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 24, 2023, 12:54:38 PM
Google Maps seems to think that MD 2 SB follows Hughes the whole way from Light to Hanover, but it appears that traffic can only turn right at Charles and thus it is legally impossible to continue straight on Hughes across Charles (not that that stops people from trying, I imagine...). Combined with the fact the Hughes is rather narrow between Light & Charles (but a more standard city street width between Charles & Hanover), the Lee-Charles-Hughes routing would make more sense as others have suggested.

Another possible hint supporting the Lee-Charles-Hughes routing...looking at the HLR pdf that 74/171 linked to, the "route number" listed for MD 2 NB's intersection with E Hughes St is "MU 6145" (presumably some internal city designation...it's on page 24 of the HLR pdf for anyone interested). I would think that route number would instead show as MD 2 if SB did in fact follow Hughes the whole way? The intersection with Lee St isn't listed, unfortunately...the next intersection listed north of Hughes is Conway.

According to a couple of the old Rand McNally atlases, it continued on St. Paul past North Avenue all the way to Charles Street near Loyola.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

mrsman

Quote from: epzik8 on April 25, 2023, 01:35:28 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 24, 2023, 12:54:38 PM

According to a couple of the old Rand McNally atlases, it continued on St. Paul past North Avenue all the way to Charles Street near Loyola.

Arguably, there is good reason to combine MD 139 and MD 2 for a continuous route all the way north to the Beltway.

Northbound MD 139 starts at Charles/North and follows Charles all the way to the Beltway (by way of Charlcote and St Paul in the one-way section north of JHU.  The southbound MD 139 is a little murky.  What happens in the area around JHU?  Does it simply follow St. Paul all the way to North Ave, or does it transition onto St Paul by way of University Parkway or does it transition onto Maryland Ave by way of 29th street.  I assume it's the last one, but it's hard to determine.

epzik8

Was 213 from Bohemia Manor to just south of US 40 always 50 miles per hour, or did they lower it from 55 since I drove it last?

sprjus4

Quote from: epzik8 on May 01, 2023, 07:01:22 PM
Was 213 from Bohemia Manor to just south of US 40 always 50 miles per hour, or did they lower it from 55 since I drove it last?
Google Street View shows 50 mph dating back to the earliest imagery.

epzik8

It looks like new mast lights have been installed on the north side of the White Marsh interchange on 95.

MASTERNC

Quote from: epzik8 on May 16, 2023, 02:42:34 PM
It looks like new mast lights have been installed on the north side of the White Marsh interchange on 95.

Was wondering when they were going to finally activate those.  The lights have been there for a while but were covered up.

epzik8

The daily backup on 95 south approaching 543 is close to reaching Stepney Road. It's crazy.

MASTERNC

Quote from: epzik8 on May 18, 2023, 03:41:28 PM
The daily backup on 95 south approaching 543 is close to reaching Stepney Road. It's crazy.

That's why I was hoping the sound barrier work was actually for that auxiliary lane.  Any idea when that is scheduled?

74/171FAN

The Brookeville Bypass on MD 97 apparently opened yesterday.  (https://mdot-sha-md97-brookeville-bypass-mo7465171-r-maryland.hub.arcgis.com/)

QuoteMay 2023: The Brookeville Bypass will officially open the week of Sunday, May 21st. Crews will perform a traffic switch on the morning of May 21st to open the newly constructed bypass to the traveling public. This switch will not affect County roads. Variable Message Signs (VMS) are in place to notify motorists of the upcoming change.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

famartin

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 22, 2023, 08:58:59 AM
The Brookeville Bypass on MD 97 apparently opened yesterday.  (https://mdot-sha-md97-brookeville-bypass-mo7465171-r-maryland.hub.arcgis.com/)

QuoteMay 2023: The Brookeville Bypass will officially open the week of Sunday, May 21st. Crews will perform a traffic switch on the morning of May 21st to open the newly constructed bypass to the traveling public. This switch will not affect County roads. Variable Message Signs (VMS) are in place to notify motorists of the upcoming change.

Will MD 97 thru Brookville will revert to a county road?  Or will it get one of those high numbered MD route assignments?

74/171FAN

Quote from: famartin on May 22, 2023, 09:06:40 AM

Will MD 97 thru Brookville will revert to a county road?  Or will it get one of those high numbered MD route assignments?

I would expect it to become a county road just based on it being in Montgomery County.  I am sure that the town of Brookville would love to road diet it.

Anyway, apparently the removal of this abandoned railroad crossing on MD 343 in Cambridge is related to intersection improvements

Also I am thankful not to be taking US 50 to Ocean City this week. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

A colleague of mine at work asked:

Has there been a suspension of HOV enforcement on I-270?  He says the violators seem to be on the increase with state troopers out there but not enforcing...

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 22, 2023, 09:54:13 AM
Quote from: famartin on May 22, 2023, 09:06:40 AM

I would expect it to become a county road just based on it being in Montgomery County.  I am sure that the town of Brookville would love to road diet it.

Well MD 97 through Brookeville is already treated as if it was never in town when I clinched the bypass this morning.

jmacswimmer

As a follow-up to the I-695 work zone crash in late March that I posted about upthread: Both drivers involved were indicted earlier this week.

https://wjla.com/news/local/divers-fatal-baltimore-beltway-crash-killed-6-construction-workers-indicted-melachi-duane-darnell-brown-arrested-lisa-adrienne-lea-interstate-695-sybil-dimaggio-jose-excobar-carlos-villatoro-escobar-rolando-ruiz-zelda-mahlon-joseph-simmons-ii-mah#

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/community/criminal-justice/melachi-brown-lisa-adrienne-lea-interstate-695-crash-KG6RSVKBZFBSZNJXS4MMJP7CEQ/?utm_campaign=TheBaltimoreBanner

The drivers involved in a crash that killed six construction workers on Interstate 695 have been indicted on manslaughter charges and traffic violations, with authorities saying one was impaired by drugs and the other reached speeds of 122 mph.

Law enforcement is looking for Lisa Adrienne Lea, 54, of Randallstown, Baltimore County State Attorney's Scott Shellenberger said. She faces 28 counts, including one that alleges she was driving impaired by drugs, though the indictment does not specify what substance.

Melachi Duane Darnell Brown, 20, of Windsor Mill, was taken into custody on Monday and faces 27 counts.

At a bail review hearing for Brown on Tuesday, Assistant State's Attorney Felise Kelly said there is dash camera video from four minutes before the crash that shows Brown rapidly switching lanes and accelerating. Police, she said, determined that he was driving 122 mph five seconds before the crash and 111 mph at the time of impact.

The speed limit at the site of the crash is 55 mph.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MASTERNC

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 07, 2023, 08:55:05 AM
As a follow-up to the I-695 work zone crash in late March that I posted about upthread: Both drivers involved were indicted earlier this week.

https://wjla.com/news/local/divers-fatal-baltimore-beltway-crash-killed-6-construction-workers-indicted-melachi-duane-darnell-brown-arrested-lisa-adrienne-lea-interstate-695-sybil-dimaggio-jose-excobar-carlos-villatoro-escobar-rolando-ruiz-zelda-mahlon-joseph-simmons-ii-mah#

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/community/criminal-justice/melachi-brown-lisa-adrienne-lea-interstate-695-crash-KG6RSVKBZFBSZNJXS4MMJP7CEQ/?utm_campaign=TheBaltimoreBanner

The drivers involved in a crash that killed six construction workers on Interstate 695 have been indicted on manslaughter charges and traffic violations, with authorities saying one was impaired by drugs and the other reached speeds of 122 mph.

Law enforcement is looking for Lisa Adrienne Lea, 54, of Randallstown, Baltimore County State Attorney's Scott Shellenberger said. She faces 28 counts, including one that alleges she was driving impaired by drugs, though the indictment does not specify what substance.

Melachi Duane Darnell Brown, 20, of Windsor Mill, was taken into custody on Monday and faces 27 counts.

At a bail review hearing for Brown on Tuesday, Assistant State's Attorney Felise Kelly said there is dash camera video from four minutes before the crash that shows Brown rapidly switching lanes and accelerating. Police, she said, determined that he was driving 122 mph five seconds before the crash and 111 mph at the time of impact.

The speed limit at the site of the crash is 55 mph.

No way speed cameras would have deterred that level of lawlessness.

TheOneKEA

I-95 north between Gorman Road and MD 32, adjacent to the truck stops, is experiencing chronic congestion due to drivers slowing down to read the announcement of the closure on I-95 north in Philadelphia. It's likely exacerbated by the flashing lights being enabled for the message. How long does MDOT SHA usually leave the flashing lights enabled for this sort of long-term closure announcement?

mrsman

Quote from: TheOneKEA on June 14, 2023, 06:46:28 PM
I-95 north between Gorman Road and MD 32, adjacent to the truck stops, is experiencing chronic congestion due to drivers slowing down to read the announcement of the closure on I-95 north in Philadelphia. It's likely exacerbated by the flashing lights being enabled for the message. How long does MDOT SHA usually leave the flashing lights enabled for this sort of long-term closure announcement?

MD 32 is quite far from the closure.  Perhaps they need a simpler message here stating "I-95 closed north of Center City Philadelphia -- use alternate routes."*  There is no good alternative that anyone on this part of I-95 needs to take at this point.  The main decision points for traffic are likely in Delaware (NJTP and I-295) and Chester, PA (I-476).  Possibly, a long distance bypass could also be had by using I-83 from Baltimore to Harrisburg to reach Allentown and Scranton areas and not stay on I-95 north of Baltimore.  But conceivably, nobody who is going anywhere in the direction of Philadelphia would need to make any alternatives at MD 32, and certainly don't need to slow local traffic as a result.

From the vantage point of the DC area, it seems like the I-95 closure only makes northeast Philadelphia and Bucks County difficult to reach.  Traffic heading to NJ or to northeast Pennsylvania can use other alternatives that don't seem to be that affected by detouring traffic.  No appreciable delays on I-295 or NJTP over normal weekday usage.

* Use of exit numbers isn't helpful here as people may confuse them with MD exit numbers.  Unless traffic at this point is headed to Philly or Bucks County, they are largely unaffected and don't need to pull over to consult maps.

FLAVORTOWN

I've noticed that the MD state highway logo on the BGSes doesn't show the state name. Is there a reason for that? I've also seen a DC-295 sign with no DC written on it.

Dough4872

Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on June 18, 2023, 09:08:19 PM
I've noticed that the MD state highway logo on the BGSes doesn't show the state name. Is there a reason for that? I've also seen a DC-295 sign with no DC written on it.

My guess is a motorist probably can't read the state name on the shield on a BGS as opposed to a shield on the ground, so the state probably doesn't go through the trouble of adding the state name.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.