News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

MD/PA/VA/WV Quad State (MDRoads 11th Wedding Anniversary) Meet - 8/17/2024

Started by Laura, March 07, 2024, 01:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

Hi friends, Save The Date for the MD/PA/VA/WV Quad State (11th MDRoads Wedding Anniversary) Meet on August 17, 2024!

I will edit this post when I finish nailing down info, but these are some of the points of interest we'll see along the way:

-Berkeley Springs, WV New US 522 Bypass Construction
-Sideling Hill Rest Area
-MD/PA Mason-Dixon Stone at Orleans Road https://apps.mht.maryland.gov/Medusa/PDF/Allegany/AL-I-B-064.pdf
-Scenic US 40 over Sideling Hill
-Hancock Toll House on the National Road
-Wilson Bridge on the National Road
-Williamsport, MD Bridges (Salisbury Street Bridge and Railroad Lift Bridge)
-Van Metre Ford Stone Bridge near Martinsburg, WV
-Farnham Colossi https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/farnham-colossi

74/171FAN

Yay!!! (though this makes me regret not driving through Berkeley Springs back on 2/25/2024, I honestly felt that a drive in that direction was not worth it that day based on how little construction I could see in June 2023.)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: Laura on March 07, 2024, 01:37:28 PM
I wonder if this one will also have a very enthusiastic tour guide.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Great Lakes Roads

roadwaywiz95

Worth mentioning that (depending on the exact driving directions) this meet could well be the first ever to enter four states on the same day. There have been a few over the years that have entered three states in one day, even one back in 2012 that involved multiple countries, but the four state benchmark has not been reached, at least not yet.
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

jpi

Interesting, will definitely keep this on my radar since it is close to family in south central PA
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Laura

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 07, 2024, 09:05:10 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 07, 2024, 08:39:11 PM
Quote from: Laura on March 07, 2024, 01:37:28 PM
I wonder if this one will also have a very enthusiastic tour guide.
I hope not!  :-D

Hahaha - in order to have enough time to visit 4 states, plenty of these sites will NOT be stops but just points of interest along the way.  As of now, I plan for the Hancock Toll House to be one of those "take a picture as you drive by unless your car of people really wants to stop for 30 seconds and frame the shot".

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on March 08, 2024, 09:06:49 AM
Worth mentioning that (depending on the exact driving directions) this meet could well be the first ever to enter four states on the same day. There have been a few over the years that have entered three states in one day, even one back in 2012 that involved multiple countries, but the four state benchmark has not been reached, at least not yet.

Oooh, that's awesome that this will be the first Quad State Meet!

I think this meet might also be the first to have a vow renewal as well! Over the past 11 years, we've gotten to know so many more of you, and this community is family to us, so it feels appropriate to celebrate this milestone together with a roadmeet!

I anticipate the vow renewal itself to be short and sweet - no need for attendees to dress up unless they really want to!

I'll have more details as we continue to put the meet together.

getemngo

Penciling it in; my only potential issues are budgetary. I've only been to two East Coast meets since 2016, so it's time to make up for lost ground.
~ Sam from Michigan

signalman

Quote from: getemngo on March 12, 2024, 08:47:57 PM
Penciling it in; my only potential issues are budgetary. I've only been to two East Coast meets since 2016, so it's time to make up for lost ground.
Morris Co, NJ in 2020 and Philly in 2022?

Alps

That may encourage me to come on down!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

roadwaywiz95

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Laura

Quote from: Alps on March 13, 2024, 06:22:40 PM
That may encourage me to come on down!

YAYYYYYYY

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 14, 2024, 12:14:20 AM
Will this be a "National" Meet?

I wasn't planning on it, but if others think this qualifies as a National Meet, then so be it!

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on March 14, 2024, 09:18:03 AM
It'll be a "City" Meet, without the "City"  :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass:

I don't get the joke but okay! This is a traditional meet with a vow renewal as part of it!

Edit two minutes later: oh ha ha I get it. I didn't actually set a central city for this meet, calling it the Quad State meet instead!

ccurley100

Rothman

My first gut reaction was that we certainly are saturating this part of the country with meets, with the recent Cumberland meet, the upcoming SW PA meet and now this meet...

...but whatever.  It's just down the road from me.  For right now, it's a maybe and will let you know when it becomes definite.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Rothman on March 14, 2024, 11:15:27 AM
My first gut reaction was that we certainly are saturating this part of the country with meets, with the recent Cumberland meet, the upcoming SW PA meet and now this meet...

...but whatever.  It's just down the road from me.  For right now, it's a maybe and will let you know when it becomes definite.

I had wanted to do a western PA Meet focusing on the northern Pittsburgh suburbs focusing on PA 228 and Butler, but that idea is currently indefinitely postponed.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 14, 2024, 11:19:00 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 14, 2024, 11:15:27 AM

I had wanted to do a western PA Meet focusing on the northern Pittsburgh suburbs focusing on PA 228 and Butler, but that idea is currently indefinitely postponed.
There's the Oil City one out there, too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jpi

And I am planning a meet in the Harrisburg area in spring 2026 focusing on the I-83 construction that will be in high gear in both Harrisburg and York by then  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Great Lakes Roads

kphoger

Not attending, but congratulations on eleven years!  Anniversary #11 was the first since Anniversary #1 for which my wife and I went away anywhere.  I hope you have a great time with everyone.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Laura

Quote from: kphoger on March 14, 2024, 02:37:09 PM
Not attending, but congratulations on eleven years!  Anniversary #11 was the first since Anniversary #1 for which my wife and I went away anywhere.  I hope you have a great time with everyone.

Thank you!!

I'm also excited to see lots of interest in the thread for this meet!!

Maybe there is some oversaturation in Western MD and PA, but that's just where all of the action is right now.

Rothman

Quote from: Laura on March 14, 2024, 03:51:08 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 14, 2024, 02:37:09 PM

Thank you!!

I'm also excited to see lots of interest in the thread for this meet!!

Maybe there is some oversaturation in Western MD and PA, but that's just where all of the action is right now.

If MD and PA are "all of the action," it makes me wonder about how one would classify the various much larger megaprojects around the rest of the country...something like going from Remo Williams to Monster Jam... :D

In any matter, a meet is a meet and meets are fun.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on March 14, 2024, 09:18:03 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 14, 2024, 12:14:20 AM
Will this be a "National" Meet?

It'll be a "City" Meet, without the "City"  :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass:

This sounds like a joke that's intended to be at my expense... whatever.  LOL
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.