News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Project News from New Jersey

Started by njroadhorse, June 09, 2009, 04:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njroadhorse

It appears NJDOT is looking into rehabilitating the roads around the Camden Gateway area to encourage more development (roads are the least of that city's problems  :banghead:)
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/ccgateway/improvements.shtm

The intersection of NJ 70 and NJ 73 in Marlton will now be rid of its traffic circle (sad to see another one go :no:), with the project started in April.  According to NJDOT, approx $31 mil is being used to eliminate the circle and create a partial cloverleaf interchange:
Before:

After:

Here's the link to the page:
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/marltoncircle/

Apparently, the US 1&9 Truck viaduct is being rehabilitated into a fairly practical bridge (thank god):
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt1_9t/

More to come when I find more project news...
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

mightyace

Quote from: froggie on June 09, 2009, 08:55:38 PM
Quotesad to see another one go

I'm not...those things are a traffic operation nightmare...

and that one is a mutant circle anyway with one highway going through the middle!  :banghead:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

yanksfan6129

Quote from: mightyace on June 09, 2009, 08:59:12 PM
Quote from: froggie on June 09, 2009, 08:55:38 PM
Quotesad to see another one go

I'm not...those things are a traffic operation nightmare...

and that one is a mutant circle anyway with one highway going through the middle!  :banghead:

That's how many NJ traffic circles are. Seems to me that it defeats the purpose.

akotchi

Apparently, the US 1&9 Truck viaduct is being rehabilitated into a fairly practical bridge (thank god):

[/quote]
I have intimate knowledge of this project, having worked on it for the last 12 years. . .
Unfortunately, that project will still leave a traffic circle (Tonnele Circle, but at least a lot of trucks will be bypassing it.

There is another circle elimination project, currently in final design, to get rid of the U.S. 46 circle in Little Ferry, creating a four-legged intersection.  This was another one that has a main road going through it.

Good riddance to any and all circles in New Jersey!  It was an old idea that worked at one time, but has been choked by years of growing traffic volumes.  Cut-throughs and signals were stop-gap measures to improve flow, but they, too, are no longer effective.  Okay . . . I'll get off of my soap box now . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alex

Are they ever going to do that I-76/295 interchange redesign? Its been talked about for 10 plus years now and last I was through there, nothing had been started yet.

njroadhorse

Quote from: AARoads on June 10, 2009, 03:12:01 PM
Are they ever going to do that I-76/295 interchange redesign? Its been talked about for 10 plus years now and last I was through there, nothing had been started yet.
Apparently it's close to being settled, and an estimated construction date is ~2012-2013 last I've heard.
NJ Roads FTW!

Alex

Quote from: njroadhorse on June 10, 2009, 03:17:04 PM
Apparently it's close to being settled, and an estimated construction date is ~2012-2013 last I've heard.

Perhaps they are using the playbook from PennDOT and its I-95/PA turnpike interchange project. Lets design it now and build it say 10, 15, 20 years from now?

njroadhorse

Quote from: AARoads on June 10, 2009, 03:22:12 PM
Quote from: njroadhorse on June 10, 2009, 03:17:04 PM

Perhaps they are using the playbook from PennDOT and its I-95/PA turnpike interchange project. Lets design it now and build it say 10, 15, 20 years from now?
The thing is that the interchange needs to be built bigger than what it is now, and securing the proper right of way for it is a total bitch with all the development surrounding it.
NJ Roads FTW!

mightyace

Quote from: njroadhorse on June 10, 2009, 03:29:29 PM
and securing the proper right of way for it is a total bitch with all the development surrounding it.

We can thank the lawyers and the NIMBYs for that!  :evilgrin:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Duke87

Quote from: akotchi on June 10, 2009, 12:18:01 PM
Good riddance to any and all circles in New Jersey!  It was an old idea that worked at one time, but has been choked by years of growing traffic volumes.  Cut-throughs and signals were stop-gap measures to improve flow, but they, too, are no longer effective.

Safety also is an issue sometimes. Some of those things were/are huge fenderbender zones.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Hellfighter

Who designed that piece of crap intersection?  :wow:

Speaking of bad stuff from new jersey...

http://www.hulu.com/embed/1r0AkZ98GIOtqWy1ZORqMw

akotchi

Quote from: Hellfighter06 on June 13, 2009, 07:20:18 PM

Which intersection?
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Hellfighter

Quote from: akotchi on June 13, 2009, 07:51:03 PM
Quote from: Hellfighter06 on June 13, 2009, 07:20:18 PM

Which intersection?

The Camden Gateway, and http://www.hulu.com/watch/72445/saturday-night-live-update-gov-paterson-and-spitzer#s-p1-st-i3 (AlpsROADS - Fixed the original post to embed, but this direct link can work too.)

NJRoadfan

If it matters, the GSP/I-78 missing ramps project is moving along. It took 9 years to start construction after receiving TEA-21 funding, but the flyovers are going up pretty fast. The GSP north to I-78 flyover is mostly done (and pretty ugly looking). Pier work for the flyover to I-78 east is done in the median of I-78. They are working on widening the bridge that carries I-78 over the GSP and the ramp approaches.

njroadhorse

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 14, 2009, 11:07:23 PM
If it matters, the GSP/I-78 missing ramps project is moving along. It took 9 years to start construction after receiving TEA-21 funding, but the flyovers are going up pretty fast. The GSP north to I-78 flyover is mostly done (and pretty ugly looking). Pier work for the flyover to I-78 east is done in the median of I-78. They are working on widening the bridge that carries I-78 over the GSP and the ramp approaches.  Any estimated completion date?
I saw that not too long ago and it looked like they were nearing done with this
NJ Roads FTW!

njroadhorse

This is a bit old, but I drove through it today and it jogged my memory:
The I-80/I-287 interchange is being reconstructed in certain sections to alleviate some congestion and make it easier for trucks
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2009/041709.shtm
NJ Roads FTW!

Alps

Quote from: njroadhorse on June 18, 2009, 05:58:18 PM
The I-80/I-287 interchange is being reconstructed in certain sections to alleviate some congestion and make it easier for trucks
I drive past there every day on my commute.  I could walk there.  I could throw rocks onto I-287 in the I-80 exit lanes.  But I don't.  In fact, there's a sign down right now (the trucks may overturn sign).  It's tempting...

njroadhorse

Quote from: AlpsROADS on June 18, 2009, 09:43:38 PM
Quote from: njroadhorse on June 18, 2009, 05:58:18 PM
I drive past there every day on my commute.  I could walk there.  I could throw rocks onto I-287 in the I-80 exit lanes.  But I don't.  In fact, there's a sign down right now (the trucks may overturn sign).  It's tempting...
As it is to throw rocks at the people who cut you off on 80 every morning.  :poke: ;-)
NJ Roads FTW!

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: akotchi on June 10, 2009, 12:18:01 PM

I saw the map of the project http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt1_9t/pdf/projectmap.pdf  and I saw more long-range plans for the future Wittpenn bridge, I wonder where is the future western terminus of this bridge, since part of the future US-1-9 Truck route is part of the future eastern approach?
[/quote]

Truvelo

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 21, 2009, 08:09:25 AM
I saw the map of the project http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt1_9t/pdf/projectmap.pdf  and I saw more long-range plans for the future Wittpenn bridge, I wonder where is the future western terminus of this bridge, since part of the future US-1-9 Truck route is part of the future eastern approach?

Although it looks impressive with all those swirly loops I can't help think that this will be an isolated piece of grade separation which will dump traffic onto surface streets at each end or is there a long term plan to completely grade separate Tonnele Avenue?

Also when Wittpenn Bridge is built the bottom end of ramp A will need to be altered or have I missed something?

By the way, if this was planned over here it would almost certainly contain far less grade separation so I'm glad you guys are still building proper roads.
Speed limits limit life

akotchi

Be more careful with quoting, everyone - make sure you're replying at the VERY END of the post.  - AlpsROADS

Quote from: Truvelo on June 21, 2009, 01:49:22 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 21, 2009, 08:09:25 AM

Although it looks impressive with all those swirly loops I can't help think that this will be an isolated piece of grade separation which will dump traffic onto surface streets at each end or is there a long term plan to completely grade separate Tonnele Avenue?

Also when Wittpenn Bridge is built the bottom end of ramp A will need to be altered or have I missed something?

By the way, if this was planned over here it would almost certainly contain far less grade separation so I'm glad you guys are still building proper roads.

I have knowledge of both projects, having overseen design of traffic elements of the 1&9T project and needing to coordinate with the Wittpenn project.

The west end of the new 1&9T viaduct, where Ramps A and G curve, is where the east end of the Wittpenn Bridge will tie in.  Ramp A will be realigned under the bridge project.  The current Route 7 bridge is on the alignment of an eastbound exit ramp from the new bridge that would serve Route 1&9T SB and Newark Ave.  The western end of the bridge will touch down to the west of Fishhouse Road.  The existing Fishhouse Road interchange is to be reconfigured as well.

The redundancy in the movements in the loop ramps actually serves a purpose during construction, as traffic patterns need to change during the complex construction sequence of this project.

I don't think we'll ever see grade-separation on the full length of Tonnele Ave.  I do not know of any further projects on grade separation of existing intersections.

Alps

Just to clarify, the grade-separation is really intended for the NJ 7 corridor ultimately.

njroadhorse

I don't think we'll ever see grade-separation on the full length of Tonnele Ave.  I do not know of any further projects on grade separation of existing intersections.

It would be nice to have for a couple reasons:
- A freeway tie-in to the Pulaski on the east end
- Nice alternative to the NJ Turnpike heading towards the Lincoln Tunnel and the GWB.
- Quicker way to get to places like Union City, parts of Jersey City, North Bergen, and the Ridgefields.
NJ Roads FTW!

akotchi

Quote from: njroadhorse on June 22, 2009, 09:03:45 AM

It would be nice to have for a couple reasons:
- A freeway tie-in to the Pulaski on the east end
- Nice alternative to the NJ Turnpike heading towards the Lincoln Tunnel and the GWB.
- Quicker way to get to places like Union City, parts of Jersey City, North Bergen, and the Ridgefields.

I don't disagree . . . I just don't see it happening.  I would love to have seen direct ramp connections in both directions (north-north and south-south) between the Skyway and Tonnele Ave., taking the traffic out of the circle.  It would clean up that circle even more.

By the way, there is a modification underway to restore the link across the top of the Tonnele Circle to maintain direct access to the Skyway from JFK Blvd.  The City did not like that this access was being taken away.

njroadhorse

By the way, there is a modification underway to restore the link across the top of the Tonnele Circle to maintain direct access to the Skyway from JFK Blvd.  The City did not like that this access was being taken away.
That is an NJDOT win right there!
NJ Roads FTW!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.