News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-781 requested in New York

Started by froggie, October 05, 2009, 06:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

New York has requested that the under-construction connector between I-81 and the Fort Drum main gate be designated as I-781.  They already have preliminary approval from FHWA.  This is the request to AASHTO.

Mergingtraffic

I saw the plans on the web and I'm surprised the interchange with I-81 is a trumpet not flyovers...I thought trumpet were frowned upon nowadays.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

vdeane

If the designation actually extends to Fort Drum (rather than just to US 11), I see difficulties in clinching it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

FLRoads

Perhaps the interstate designation will end at U.S. 11 with the state route continuing into Fort Drum, or not be signed at all. Either way its nice to see a new interstate number on the books  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

agentsteel53

Quote from: deanej on October 05, 2009, 09:19:12 PM
If the designation actually extends into Fort Drum (rather than just to US 11), I see difficulties in clinching it.

Is that even legally allowed, to have an interstate with such access restrictions?

H-3 in Hawaii ends at the gates of the Marine base.  I clinched it with an "I'm sorry, sir, I seem to be lost.  Can you please direct me to Honolulu?"
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

I've clinched a few routes (especially in MD) just by U-turning at the gates.  The only route I know of that extends into the establishment itself is NJ 68 and Fort Dix.

Duke87

From the report:

QuoteIt is proposed that Interstate 781 would end at the Fort Drum boundary at the location of the North Gate (main
gate).

So, yup, another U-turner.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

QuoteI saw the plans on the web and I'm surprised the interchange with I-81 is a trumpet not flyovers...I thought trumpet were frowned upon nowadays.

Most of the traffic is expected to be to/from the south, hence why the trumpet was considered acceptable.

QuoteIs that even legally allowed, to have an interstate with such access restrictions?

Yes it's allowed.  Consider, in part, that Defense was an integral part of the Interstate's creation.

mgk920

Quote from: froggie on October 06, 2009, 07:02:07 AM
QuoteIs that even legally allowed, to have an interstate with such access restrictions?

Yes it's allowed.  Consider, in part, that Defense was an integral part of the Interstate's creation.

Also, I-564 in VA.

Mike

Alex

The rest of the topic has been moved to General Highway Talk under the heading "Restricted Highways".

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1751.0

Figured this has migrated away from the scope of just future Interstate 781 and deserved its own thread.

Roadgeek Adam

I really don't know why NY 781 (which it was designated originally) should be an interstate. If it was interstate for a short point, and an NY state touring route for the rest (to the gate), maybe it would make more sense.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

froggie

Why not?  After all, it's the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways, and 781 directly connects the main gate at Fort Drum (which has seen a lot of expansion in recent years) to a major Interstate.

Makes perfect sense to me...

agentsteel53

it certainly beats having some commuter lemming path being upgraded to yet another generic three-digit interstate!  :ded:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

yakra

Quote from: froggie on October 06, 2009, 07:02:07 AM

Isn't there a requirement to terminate at other NHS routes?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

froggie

Not outright.  Again, this is a major military base.  Thus, quite allowed and makes a lot of sense.

'Sides, US 11 through there is on the NHS... :pan:

vdeane

It won't be ending at US 11; it's planned to end at the main gate to Fort Drum, last I heard.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeek Adam

Yes it is and will be. I don't agree with the interstate designation, but I won't win that fight.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

njroadhorse

Hey, if I-564 can be signed as such, I suppose I-781 can too.  After all, they both serve major defensive areas for this country.  I believe I-564 is also signed to the main gate of Norfolk Naval Station too, no?
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

froggie

No.  Ties into the at-grade part of Taussig Blvd (outside the base boundary) just west of the Gate 3/3A interchange, and officially becomes VA 337 at that point.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.