News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NY - Rest Areas May Close

Started by Dougtone, January 28, 2010, 07:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

According to a recent article in the Albany Times Union, New York Governor David Paterson is considering closing a number of rest areas along the highways of the Empire State. The number of rest stops that are subject to closure could be as many as 35. Some of the rest areas in question are in more populated areas, such as along I-87 (Northway) in Clifton Park. Others are in more sparsely populated areas in the Catskills, Adirondacks and Southern Tier regions of New York State.

Read the full article at...
http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-yorks-rest-areas-may-close.html

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: dougtone on January 28, 2010, 07:30:00 AM
According to a recent article in the Albany Times Union, New York Governor David Paterson is considering closing a number of rest areas along the highways of the Empire State. The number of rest stops that are subject to closure could be as many as 35. Some of the rest areas in question are in more populated areas, such as along I-87 (Northway) in Clifton Park. Others are in more sparsely populated areas in the Catskills, Adirondacks and Southern Tier regions of New York State.

Don't get rid of the Clifton Park one! It's better than the one south of Exit 18.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Truvelo

I wonder if closing rest areas results in more tired drivers? If money, or lack thereof, is the primary reason for the planned closures then why not strip the rest areas bare of everything but the parking lot. Restrooms aren't needed as you just find a tree in a secluded spot :)
Speed limits limit life

Dougtone

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on January 28, 2010, 12:29:21 PM
Quote from: dougtone on January 28, 2010, 07:30:00 AM

Don't get rid of the Clifton Park one! Its better than the one south of Exit 18.

I wouldn't be surprised if both rest areas are closed down.  Not that I can do anything about it.

Dougtone

Quote from: Truvelo on January 28, 2010, 01:25:19 PM
I wonder if closing rest areas results in more tired drivers? If money, or lack of, is the primary reason for the planned closures then why not strip the rest areas bare of everything but the parking lot. Restrooms aren't needed as you just find a tree in a secluded spot :)

From the article, I'm not sure if they will shut down the buildings of the rest areas, or if that also includes the parking lot.  I could live with the buildings being padlocked, razed or what have you, but I'd at least like to be able to park and stretch my legs, take a quick nap, etc.

As for restrooms and one doing their business behind a tree, I'm sure the ladies may take issue with that.

rawmustard

I wonder if closing rest areas results in more tired drivers? If money, or lack of, is the primary reason for the planned closures then why not strip the rest areas bare of everything but the parking lot. Restrooms aren't needed as you just find a tree in a secluded spot :)

One should remember that there's also the cost of snow removal from the parking lot to consider in addition to maintenance of the building, although that can be mitigated by seasonal closures. One thing that really surprised me was Michigan's commitment to keeping the bulk of its rest areas open through this winter, even one along I-69 north of Tekonsha which now serves solely as a truck parking area (which would regularly be closed in winter back when it had facilities).

With the proliferation of private truck stops over the years, closing rest areas wouldn't necessarily be a big a detriment now as long as the ones targeted for closure aren't many miles from such facilities. It would also be prudent to consider relocations so that they would be better used, especially in cases where the ROW for a rest area may need to be used for future road expansion.

vdeane

Many "rest areas" in NY are already just a parking lot.  Ones with restrooms are already rare.

I remember when the rest area on NY 104 west a mile and a half east of NY 590 was closed when it was rebuilt and widened to three lanes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Nexis4Jersey

Oh great , now I'll have to exit the highway to take a piss.......... :-D

Dougtone

Quote from: deanej on January 28, 2010, 05:44:21 PM
Many "rest areas" in NY are already just a parking lot.  Ones with restrooms are already rare.

I remember when the rest area on NY 104 west a mile and a half east of NY 590 was closed when it was rebuilt and widened to three lanes.

I think that New York State distinguishes them as "parking areas".  Another budget item the state is looking at is the removal of 100 highway snow removal jobs, due to new techniques in snow removal.  As a result, I would imagine that parking areas and rest areas would receive a low priority for snow removal.  Rest areas with facilities (and usually a couple of vending machines) tend to be on the freeways.  There are also a few on parkways in Westchester County and also New York City, but since these stations have gas stations and a c-store, I believe they will not be affected.

http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/eBudget1011/fy1011littlebook/Transportation.html will explain it in further detail.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.