News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Blue/Black Signs on Nevada Highways

Started by SSR_317, August 15, 2023, 12:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSR_317

Does anyone know the official explanation/designation for the Blue and Black signs seen at or near divided highway median crossovers in the State of Nevada? Here is an example along State Road 160 between Mountain Springs and Pahrump: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0100279,-115.5804336,3a,59.2y,245.89h,76.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHXYfDQfoCIfq2WAkPBoi4w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Appreciate any information you may have on these signs/markers.

cl94

That's exactly it: they're placed to mark median crossovers.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SSR_317

Quote from: cl94 on August 15, 2023, 02:04:30 PM
Thanks! Do you happen to know their NV designation? NDOT seems to use "GNV" as a prefix on most of their state-specific signs, but I could not find these particular markers anywhere on their website.

Also, I seem to remember California having some "secret" type of sign marking crossover locations back in 1966, when my parents & I were returning home from a vacation to see family in Ventura, CA. We overheated on what is now I-15 east of Barstow, and a guy at the repair shop we limped back to there mentioned something about signage that marked applicable crossover locations along the desert freeway.

Do any other states have such crossover markings in addition to the MUTCD standard ones (D13-1 and D13-2)?

Big John

US 89

Colorado uses those exact same markers to mark median crossovers. I’ve seen them occasionally in parts of Utah also.

SSR_317

roadfro

Quote from: SSR_317 on August 15, 2023, 02:25:22 PM
Thanks! Do you happen to know their NV designation? NDOT seems to use "GNV" as a prefix on most of their state-specific signs, but I could not find these particular markers anywhere on their website.

These crossover marking signs do not appear in NDOT's supplemental sign manual. However, that document was last updated in 2006 (or at least that's the latest version on their website), and many Nevada-specific signs therein are now standard signs in the 2009 MUTCD or are of a type that don't really need a separate sign designation (e.g. all the county line signs), so I don't know if we'll see a new version of this document. I don't believe that the black/blue crossover signs were in use that far back.

BTW: The NDOT-specific sign designations start with different letters corresponding to the type of sign it is. "GNV" for guide signs, "RNV" for regulatory signs, etc.

Also BTW: I have seen very limited use of the crossover signs in another application in Nevada... either as an advance warning of, or an object marker adjacent to, a cattle guard. I don't care for this second use, as it mixes interpretations and there are other better ways to mark a cattle guard.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SSR_317

Quote from: roadfro on August 17, 2023, 11:22:19 AM
Quote from: SSR_317 on August 15, 2023, 02:25:22 PM

These crossover marking signs do not appear in NDOT's supplemental sign manual. However, that document was last updated in 2006 (or at least that's the latest version on their website), and many Nevada-specific signs therein are now standard signs in the 2009 MUTCD or are of a type that don't really need a separate sign designation (e.g. all the county line signs), so I don't know if we'll see a new version of this document. I don't believe that the black/blue crossover signs were in use that far back.

BTW: The NDOT-specific sign designations start with different letters corresponding to the type of sign it is. "GNV" for guide signs, "RNV" for regulatory signs, etc.

Also BTW: I have seen very limited use of the crossover signs in another application in Nevada... either as an advance warning of, or an object marker adjacent to, a cattle guard. I don't care for this second use, as it mixes interpretations and there are other better ways to mark a cattle guard.
Many thanks for the information! I agree that there are better ways to mark a cattle guard.

It would be nice if the Federal MUTCD had some sort of common guide for the designation of state-specific signs or state variants incorporating the 2-letter postal code, but given the stubbornness of certain state DOTs, that may be a pipe dream. And with their seeming reluctance in recent years to even break down designations for many E-series signs (e.g., Advance Guide signs), I sincerely doubt that they would even make such a suggestion for a common state designation ID formula now.

As for the median crossover markings, I seem to remember that California had SOMETHING way back as far as 1967, when my parents & I did a cross-country journey to visit relatives there. We overheated along what is now I-15 just east of Barstow and had to cross the median to return to that town for repairs. While there, someone in the garage told us about a "secret" sign that marked locations where it was safe to cross the median in an emergency. I don't recall exactly what those signs were, but it may have been the precursor of today's blue/black markers.

ClassicHasClass

There's a reflector pattern which appears prior to turnoffs. Not sure if that's what you mean.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.