News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

MO: Extension of MO 465 from MO 76 to MO 376 under consideration

Started by Revive 755, January 14, 2010, 12:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoptb1

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 14, 2010, 12:34:41 PM
I wonder if the new section would have the wide median like the existing section?

I remember driving along MO-265 at the intersection of MO-376 wondering how in the heck MODOT was going to be able to connect MO-465 to MO-376 through this area.  If you've ever been there, it's a very interesting topography, and definitely not an easy build.  I'm wondering what percentage of the 2.7-mile section would have to be completed as bridges vs. grade roadway? 

Revive 755

Regarding MO 465 in general, from the EIS it appears the ultimate southern terminus would be a trumpet interchange with US 65 near the MO 265 interchange.

The EIS also had an alternative alignment that would have featured a trumpet interchange for the northern terminus at US 65 that would have been to the north of the current diamond interchange with US 65 (the alternative alignment was not just for the US 65 interchange - it went on much longer for the corridor).

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Revive 755

The article has been archived by the paper, and now requires a subscription to access.   Link to the partially visible article:
http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news/article_86e7a116-8f0c-54bd-a1ed-13512c15b5fd.html

Looks like MO 465 may have an accident problem judging from some of the other newspaper articles - but it looks like it's mainly issues with bad drivers.

intelati49

:hmmm:

Constant changing plans.  There is a entry in the Special Programs of the STIP 12-16, But no construction since... well, since the first phase was completed. :banghead:

Any news on the second phase other than the tiny entry?

X99

I am well aware of the fact that this is an 8-year bump.

It still isn't done. What's the reason now?
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

US71

Quote from: X99 on July 24, 2019, 06:54:36 PM

Last excuse I heard is they didn't think traffic counts would warrant it.

X99

Quote from: US71 on July 25, 2019, 09:12:52 AM
Quote from: X99 on July 24, 2019, 06:54:36 PM

Last excuse I heard is they didn't think traffic counts would warrant it.
That makes sense- traffic counts don't warrant a full freeway back to US 65. But in the meantime, couldn't they make it a two-lane road with at-grade crossings, following one side of the planned freeway and its ramps?

X99

Passed over the south end of 465 a few days ago and saw what appeared to be new pavement on the southbound mainline past the point where the ramp splits off to 76, as well as a barrier as wide as the mainline with flashing yellow lights on it (it was a solid piece of material, I think wood). Does this mean anything, or did I just not notice it there before?

kphoger

Quote from: X99 on July 30, 2019, 12:23:18 AM
Passed over the south end of 465 a few days ago and saw what appeared to be new pavement on the southbound mainline past the point where the ramp splits off to 76, as well as a barrier as wide as the mainline with flashing yellow lights on it (it was a solid piece of material, I think wood). Does this mean anything, or did I just not notice it there before?

The stub south of 76 Hwy hasn't been paved except for a few yards south of the interchange.  Everything from there on south has been unpaved roadbed.  If the pavement extended beyond the wooden sign you saw, then that is indeed new.  If not, then it's the way it's been for years.  The sign itself was erected within the last several years, but it's been there for at least a couple by now.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

X99

Quote from: kphoger on July 30, 2019, 02:37:03 PM
Quote from: X99 on July 30, 2019, 12:23:18 AM

The stub south of 76 Hwy hasn't been paved except for a few yards south of the interchange.  Everything from there on south has been unpaved roadbed.  If the pavement extended beyond the wooden sign you saw, then that is indeed new.  If not, then it's the way it's been for years.  The sign itself was erected within the last several years, but it's been there for at least a couple by now.

The pavement visible between the sign and the camera car. I understand it being paved, but why would it be maintained if it's unused?

ozarkman417

I clicked on the Link (that doesn't work anymore), and at the bottom of the page I found this link: http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_6703fe12-bad9-11e9-835b-834ba6414052.html

It talks about a possible new expressway from the US-65 X Industrial Park Drive interchange to Kirbyville, involving bypassing Route BB in Hollister & upgrading Coon Creek Road. The idea first came up about thirty years ago and it looks as if it is finally gaining some momentum. Taney County is waiting for a federal grant for this 24 million or so dollar project. This isn't directly related to MO 465 but is another major project in the area.

Another useful link: https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Taney-County-asks-for-input-on-new-expressway-plans-487788681.html

UAN51

New information out of MoDOT's new bid just got released; I saw the plans for Job J8O2373C and it looks like the MO 465 designation will be removed. MO 76 will be rerouted onto the Ozark Mountain Highroad Freeway (now formerly MO 465), travel with US 65 between MO F and Main Street, and then continue it's current route onto Main St east of US 65. MO 76 will no longer go through Branson on 76 Country Blvd. MO 376 will continue west of Shepherd of the Hills Expwy and end at the MO 76 / former MO 465 interchange.

Blueprints here: https://www6.modot.mo.gov/eBidLettingPublicWeb/viewFileStream.do?documentType=plan&key=8157

So with this information, I speculate the following:
1.) MoDOT is trying to increase traffic on the Ozark Mountain Highroad Freeway with the MO 76 designation and get traffic to bypass 76 Country Blvd
2.) City of Branson wants to decrease through traffic on 76 Country Blvd and will maintain that road
3.) MoDOT won't extend the Ozark Mountain Highroad Freeway south of MO 76

ozarkman417

Look like I will be talking some pictures of the 465 signs before they disappear next time I go to Silver Dollar City.

SM-G965U

mvak36

Quote from: UAN51 on September 13, 2019, 05:39:58 PM
New information out of MoDOT's new bid just got released; I saw the plans for Job J8O2373C and it looks like the MO 465 designation will be removed. MO 76 will be rerouted onto the Ozark Mountain Highroad Freeway (now formerly MO 465), travel with US 65 between MO F and Main Street, and then continue it's current route onto Main St east of US 65. MO 76 will no longer go through Branson on 76 Country Blvd. MO 376 will continue west of Shepherd of the Hills Expwy and end at the MO 76 / former MO 465 interchange.

Blueprints here: https://www6.modot.mo.gov/eBidLettingPublicWeb/viewFileStream.do?documentType=plan&key=8157

1.) MoDOT is trying to increase traffic on the Ozark Mountain Highroad Freeway with the MO 76 designation and get traffic to bypass 76 Country Blvd
2.) City of Branson wants to decrease through traffic on 76 Country Blvd and will maintain that road

Something I noticed on Page 54 of that pdf is that the current MO-376 will be signed as MO-376 West at the intersection with MO-265. It's kind of weird because the road is heading to the east. The part of 376 that's taking over MO-76 is fine.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Revive 755

While this is extension is unlikely anyway given MoDOT's financial difficulties, if it did come back to life I could see MoDOT relocating MO 265 onto it, given the proximity of the southern half to MO 265.  There's also plenty of x76's left for MoDOT to use on it.

Also interesting/of note is the draft EIS (Google Books link) showed a "future connection by state" which would act like more of a cutoff for MO 76 from maybe West Branson (the map does not show the western end) to the Highroad shortly after the curve southward

X99

So will 76 Country Boulevard be resigned as MO 76 Business? It's already named after the highway number.

UAN51

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 14, 2019, 11:36:20 AM

While this is extension is unlikely anyway given MoDOT's financial difficulties, if it did come back to life I could see MoDOT relocating MO 265 onto it, given the proximity of the southern half to MO 265.  There's also plenty of x76's left for MoDOT to use on it.

Also interesting/of note is the draft EIS (Google Books link) showed a "future connection by state" which would act like more of a cutoff for MO 76 from maybe West Branson (the map does not show the western end) to the Highroad shortly after the curve southward

If the southern extension gets considered, it will probably be a super-2 lane highway with asymmetrical 3 lanes in some parts all the way to US-65.
I find the document interesting that MoDOT once considered an extension to Branson West.

Quote from: X99 on September 16, 2019, 12:35:29 PM

So will 76 Country Boulevard be resigned as MO 76 Business? It's already named after the highway number.

Seeing the document, MO 76 Business will most likely not exist on 76 Country Blvd. What will most likely happen is that the City of Branson, MO will take over maintenance of the road. Browsing in the web, the City of Branson, MO wanted to make this corridor a Complete Street but won't start until 2020. Found a 2019 article about the project too: https://www.ozarksfirst.com/local-news/76-highway-project-moving-forward/
It seemed like they wanted to do this for years but could not get enough funding to finish quickly (2017): https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/major-roadway-revitalization-under-way-in-branson-mo/32648

kphoger

Quote from: UAN51 on September 18, 2019, 11:40:45 AM
Seeing the document, MO 76 Business will most likely not exist on 76 Country Blvd. What will most likely happen is that the City of Branson, MO will take over maintenance of the road.

Similar to the turn-back of US-65(B) when they constructed the Skaggs roundabout, I suppose.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

UAN51

X99

ozarkman417

Quote from: X99 on October 27, 2019, 12:10:13 AM
Quote from: UAN51 on October 26, 2019, 03:32:03 PM
More news --> http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_de78b4ec-f1cf-11e9-911f-e71e85727f0c.html
Google Maps, OpenStreetMap, and Wikipedia have not reflected this change yet as of my posting this.
I'll try to drive down there sometime and recommend the change to Google only once the signs are corrected. Since so many people use google maps I would want the signs and maps to be on the same page to avoid as much confusion as possible.

Scott5114

Quote from: ozarkman417 on October 27, 2019, 12:13:11 AM
Quote from: X99 on October 27, 2019, 12:10:13 AM
Quote from: UAN51 on October 26, 2019, 03:32:03 PM
More news --> http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_de78b4ec-f1cf-11e9-911f-e71e85727f0c.html
Google Maps, OpenStreetMap, and Wikipedia have not reflected this change yet as of my posting this.
I'll try to drive down there sometime and recommend the change to Google only once the signs are corrected. Since so many people use google maps I would want the signs and maps to be on the same page to avoid as much confusion as possible.

Not like Google really cares whether their maps reflect reality any more anyway.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.