News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Quick question

Started by index, December 30, 2017, 05:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

I figured I should ask this, considering recent events:

With all the recent problems and recent incidents on this forum being caused by a handful of other users around my age, am I a part of this problem at all, or am I fine?
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

hotdogPi

You seem to be perfectly fine.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

It all comes with time... They'll get it straight

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Roadgeekteen

You are good. Age does not define a member, and I have never seen you cause any drama.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US71

Quote from: index on December 30, 2017, 05:06:57 PM

With all the recent problems and recent incidents on this forum being caused by a handful of other users around my age, am I a part of this problem at all, or am I fine?

You're fine. It's just one or two bad players.  Nothing to worry about.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

No.  If you were part of the problem, you would already know it and wouldn't need to ask.

* kphoger wastes a few minutes trying to come up with a good metaphor, then gives up.

Sometimes, people like to push each other's buttons.  Sometimes, people get frustrated with the way things are going and ask why it is the way it is.  Sometimes, humans act like humans, and it's best just to come to expect that.  It's life.  Most people just shrug it off, occasionally an argument will heat up for a short time, and very rarely a moderator will have to step in.  That's because most of us have been grownup-ing for some time now, and we appreciate how imperfect the internet is as a means of communication.

Sometimes, young people are interested in roads and sign on to the forum.  Sometimes, they ask silly questions or dumb questions.  Sometimes, they say ignorant things.  Sometimes, they cross a line of etiquette they weren't aware of or didn't appreciate.  And that's perfectly fine, and we shouldn't expect any different.  I think pretty much all of us on here will cut a newbie (especially a young one) some slack for not yet knowing (a) the ropes of an online forum or (b) information that other roadgeeks have known for years.  We were all kids once, we didn't start out knowing everything we do now, and we do welcome new members to the group.

But.  There is way for these two things to mix in a poisonous manner.  When a newbie crosses a line, the rest of us call him out on it, then he digs his heels in further and raises a stink instead of taking the correction to heart–that's when problems start.  It's not being young that's a problem:  it's disrespecting the veterans and moderators that's a problem.  It's not being a newbie that's a problem:  it's insisting that the forum make accommodations for you that's a problem.  It's not even pushing people's buttons that's a problem:  it's doing it over and over again for dramatic effect that's a problem.

As much as I think the term community is overused these days–this forum is a sort of community.  There are community values, community etiquette, community expectations.  And every online forum is like that, even though the values and etiquette and expectations are different from site to site.  Learn to appreciate this forum for what it is, and learn to fit in.  We're all kind of wacky (we are geeks, after all), so it's not about being cool or anything like that.  It's just about being able to assimilate into a group.  That's a useful thing outside the internet too, by the way.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2017, 07:02:45 PM

No.  If you were part of the problem, you would already know it and wouldn't need to ask.

* kphoger wastes a few minutes trying to come up with a good metaphor, then gives up.

Sometimes, people like to push each other's buttons.  Sometimes, people get frustrated with the way things are going and ask why it is the way it is.  Sometimes, humans act like humans, and it's best just to come to expect that.  It's life.  Most people just shrug it off, occasionally an argument will heat up for a short time, and very rarely a moderator will have to step in.  That's because most of us have been grownup-ing for some time now, and we appreciate how imperfect the internet is as a means of communication.

Sometimes, young people are interested in roads and sign on to the forum.  Sometimes, they ask silly questions or dumb questions.  Sometimes, they say ignorant things.  Sometimes, they cross a line of etiquette they weren't aware of or didn't appreciate.  And that's perfectly fine, and we shouldn't expect any different.  I think pretty much all of us on here will cut a newbie (especially a young one) some slack for not yet knowing (a) the ropes of an online forum or (b) information that other roadgeeks have known for years.  We were all kids once, we didn't start out knowing everything we do now, and we do welcome new members to the group.

But.  There is way for these two things to mix in a poisonous manner.  When a newbie crosses a line, the rest of us call him out on it, then he digs his heels in further and raises a stink instead of taking the correction to heart–that's when problems start.  It's not being young that's a problem:  it's disrespecting the veterans and moderators that's a problem.  It's not being a newbie that's a problem:  it's insisting that the forum make accommodations for you that's a problem.  It's not even pushing people's buttons that's a problem:  it's doing it over and over again for dramatic effect that's a problem.

As much as I think the term community is overused these days–this forum is a sort of community.  There are community values, community etiquette, community expectations.  And every online forum is like that, even though the values and etiquette and expectations are different from site to site.  Learn to appreciate this forum for what it is, and learn to fit in.  We're all kind of wacky (we are geeks, after all), so it's not about being cool or anything like that.  It's just about being able to assimilate into a group.  That's a useful thing outside the internet too, by the way.

Moving right along.....
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

adventurernumber1

Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2017, 07:02:45 PM

Very, very well said. Thank you for your input!  :nod:

You are not a part of the problem whatsoever. You are incredibly mature and knowledgeable, and I am not aware that you have contributed to any problems at all.  :nod:

Now, I ask the same question about myself. I know I can be a little strange at times, but I haven't contributed to any problems myself, have I?  :-/
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

webny99

^ Not at all. Speaking from experience here, you would definitely know (or be told at once) if you were causing problems. You definitely don't have anything to worry about.

Roadgeekteen

I sometimes think about this. I know that I can be annoying and have dumb fantasy ideas but I don't exactly know what other members think about me.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jwolfer

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 31, 2017, 04:51:26 PM
I sometimes think about this. I know that I can be annoying and have dumb fantasy ideas but I don't exactly know what other members think about me.
You can't control what others think of you. You will figure your way and learn to like you are regardless of what others think

Z981

adventurernumber1

Quote from: webny99 on December 30, 2017, 11:53:17 PM
^ Not at all. Speaking from experience here, you would definitely know (or be told at once) if you were causing problems. You definitely don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks. I do hope that that is the case.  :biggrin:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.