News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tips of advice please.

Started by Hurricane Rex, January 02, 2018, 11:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Rex

I seem to have a problem with breaking challenge rules and I don't know if I'm breaking any other forum rules (besides my constant spelling errors) that I could find re-reading the rules so does any veteran here have any tips for posting? I want to stay on people's good side and not become another Marf.

Not so serious question: Is there a 1,000,000 year ban?
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

froggie

A few tips:

- Stick with road-related facts and observations, especially on the main part of the forum.  Though opinions on roads and suggestions on what to do with them are welcome, these often fall under the "Fictional" realm.
- If you post maps or photos (and several of us do), limit them to no more than 800 pixels in width.
- Minimize (or don't bother posting) political opinions or opinions on other posters.  Political opinions in particular is one of the "rules".
- The admins can set a ban for however long they like.

oscar

Quote from: froggie on January 03, 2018, 09:07:39 AM
- If you post maps or photos (and several of us do), limit them to no more than 800 pixels in width.

There's also an image height limit of 600 pixels.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hotdogPi

Quote from: oscar on January 03, 2018, 09:14:36 AM
Quote from: froggie on January 03, 2018, 09:07:39 AM

Is an image larger than 800x600 actually a rule violation? I just thought the forum automatically resized it if it was larger.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

froggie

QuoteThere's also an image height limit of 600 pixels.

Technically, yes.  But in practice, the 600px height limit hasn't been enforced...the width limit has.

kkt

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 02, 2018, 11:21:32 PM

Why, have you perfected immortality?  And your big concern is spending your immortality banned from AA Roads?

jeffandnicole

I haven't see you come anywhere close to being a Marf. 

As long as you don't have a posting that includes "Moderators, I want you to...", then I think you'll be fine. 

Of course, you can say "Moderators, I will give you a no limit credit card.  I want you to...", and they may look the other way.

Also steer away from stuff similar to what NE2 says. 

adventurernumber1

Advice is helpful for anyone, but I will second that I have seen you as being no problem at all - nothing close to Marf. You are perfectly fine, but we will gladly give you advice to make you even better. I haven't looked at the challenge threads as much lately, but I'm sure that any problems you're causing there are minor and unintentional.

I don't know what specific advice to give you myself, as I haven't seen a problem with you, but what people have already said in this thread is good advice.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

kphoger

I seem to have a problem with breaking challenge rules

That just takes reading the original post.  All the rules are there.  If you're going to participate in a challenge, you have to know what the challenge is.

I don't know if I'm breaking any other forum rules (besides my constant spelling errors) that I could find re-reading the rules

That's not a forum rule, is it?  That's just the rest of us being anal.

so does any veteran here have any tips for posting? I want to stay on people's good side and not become another Marf.

I don't think you're in danger of that, bud.

I'm not a programmer, but my guess is that it's actually impossible.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2018, 01:58:05 PM

I'm sure V'ger's earned it.  I'm not a programmer either, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Eth

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2018, 01:58:05 PM

I am! And my guess would be that it would be implemented as a ban expiration timestamp, so it would depend on whether the software is 64-bit compatible. If it is, a million-year (or even a billion-year) ban would absolutely be possible. If not, it probably wouldn't extend beyond the year 2038, but there would likely be a whole host of other problems happening then too.

jakeroot

Quote from: froggie on January 03, 2018, 12:17:09 PM

Technically, yes.  But in practice, the 600px height limit hasn't been enforced...the width limit has.

How exactly does one break the width rule? The forum won't let you.

Unless, the rule pertains the original photo size that you get when clicking the photo. If that's the case, I've broken that rule on many an occasion.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on January 03, 2018, 05:38:16 PM

Unless, the rule pertains the original photo size that you get when clicking the photo. If that's the case, I've broken that rule on many an occasion.

That's the way it's been explained to me.  I think (and I'm no expert at this) that it takes the same number of internet-atrons to display the picture even if it's been resized in the [img string.  That is, it isn't actually saving any bandwidth over just having the full-sized image.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: kkt on January 03, 2018, 12:43:48 PM

Why, have you perfected immortality?  And your big concern is spending your immortality banned from AA Roads?

A Time Lord can live for ever, barring accidents ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

You can inadvertently violate the height rule, because it seems the forum software doesn't constrain height.

I try to make it 800 pixels or less (I haven't been warned to make image heights of 600 pixels).

roadman65

I seem to have a problem with breaking challenge rules and I don't know if I'm breaking any other forum rules (besides my constant spelling errors) that I could find re-reading the rules so does any veteran here have any tips for posting? I want to stay on people's good side and not become another Marf.

Grammar errors are not a rule, just a couple of users and one former mod who likes to make themselves feel superior especially when someone with Aspergers or some sort of mental illness misspells.    If they bark don't worry about them biting so much.

Its not a marf that you need to worry about.  Its a dzlabe  :bigass: as he was one that pissed nearly every user off every time he posted.  He got banned twice, but the second time is till our grandkids 40th birthday.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on January 03, 2018, 06:36:20 PM

Grammar errors are not a rule, just a couple of users and one former mod who likes to make themselves feel superior especially when someone with Aspergers or some sort of mental illness misspells.    If they bark don't worry about them biting so much.

Its not a marf that you need to worry about.  Its a dzlabe  :bigass: as he was one that pissed nearly every user off every time he posted.  He got banned twice, but the second time is till our grandkids 40th birthday.
Personally, I have been working on trying to not make such a big deal about typos lately but if I notice something that could cause an issue or be confusing I will point it out.  My friends even pick on me when I make them now.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

What we have enforced is very large images. If it's 12 MB and getting resized, we'll take action. 500 KB, probably not.

US 89

Quote from: Alps on January 03, 2018, 09:59:07 PM

What we have enforced is very large images. If it's 12 MB and getting resized, we'll take action. 500 KB, probably not.

How can two pictures with the same amount of pixels have different file sizes?

Alps

Quote from: roadguy2 on January 03, 2018, 10:32:51 PM

a) where did I say that?
b) different file type

Roadgeekteen

Eventually I would think that the mods would just give a permanent ban.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alps on January 03, 2018, 10:48:17 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on January 03, 2018, 10:32:51 PM

a) where did I say that?
b) different file type
c) Different compression ratios as well (at least for JPG's).

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on January 03, 2018, 06:29:37 PM

You can inadvertently violate the height rule, because it seems the forum software doesn't constrain height.

I try to make it 800 pixels or less (I haven't been warned to make image heights of 600 pixels).

I have, on at least one occasion, intentionally exploited the forum's non-treatment of tall images with my "Cascadia Pipe Dream" thread a while back. The image with all the freeways is 2599 pixels tall, and the forum displays it in its entirety. IMO, in this context, it's acceptable to have tall images.

Hurricane Rex

Thanks for the tips and support everyone!
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.