News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

Chicago to get it's first influence of a tropical system since 2012 as Alberto crosses over us. The last system to directly impact us was Issac, while Sandy produced a massive wind-field that generated some of the largest waves seen on Lake Michigan.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Eth

It looks like we may be done with Alberto's rain here. Ended up with a total of around an inch and a quarter, a far cry from the 4-6 inches that the forecasts claimed. Different story up in northeast Georgia, though, where some areas did see 6-8 inches.

It's partly cloudy and 84 now. Mid-upper 80s the rest of the week, then near 90 this weekend. May has been a warm month, about 5 degrees above average, but with March and April having been unusually cool, the overall spring average is pretty much right on target (+0.6 degrees).

webny99

Quote from: Eth on May 30, 2018, 05:35:04 PM
May has been a warm month, about 5 degrees above average, but with March and April having been unusually cool, the overall spring average is pretty much right on target (+0.6 degrees).

Unfortunately, this (which holds true in Upstate NY as well) means that hardly any individual days have had average temperatures.

One month ago, on April 30th, it was literally snowing. Now, on May 30th, we smashed the daily record of 88 degrees, hitting 93 degrees this afternoon (not to mention the humidity). I wish the transition from winter to summer had been a little longer, preferably with a few solid months of temperatures between 55 and 75!

ET21

Wettest May on record for Chicago with yesterdays rain
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Nanis

its 75 deggrees with clear skies over here in philly
Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/us_route_map/s7vYO7rC80

JMoses24

86 and partly cloudy in Oklahoma City. Was 92 at mid-afternoon, but a cold front/wind shift line has come through and dropped the temperature along with winds backing around to NNE.

Eth

A heat-induced thunderstorm materialized over my city this afternoon and promptly dumped three inches of rain in about 45 minutes, causing a considerable amount of street flooding.

The rest of this week looks to be a pretty standard summer pattern: highs mostly 85-90, lows near 70, and about a 40% chance of thunderstorms every day.

hotdogPi

95° earlier today. Now, 76 in the middle of a thunderstorm. Apple still thinks it's 86.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kkt

US 89

After the first rain in weeks fell last night, a huge supercell thunderstorm rolled through the valley this morning. Although I wasn’t hit directly, a funnel cloud and half dollar size hail were reported. I’ll definitely take it over the 90-100 degree temps we had last week.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on June 18, 2018, 06:28:51 PM
95° earlier today. Now, 76 in the middle of a thunderstorm.

In my area we had a similar 20° temperature drop this afternoon. It happened literally within just a few minutes, which was pretty impressive.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on June 18, 2018, 08:30:33 PM

In my area we had a similar 20° temperature drop this afternoon. It happened literally within just a few minutes, which was pretty impressive.

Was yours a thunderstorm or just a temperature drop with no other change?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on June 18, 2018, 08:34:16 PM

No, it was a thunderstorm. The temperature drop came first, around 2:00, and was followed by *some* thunder and lightning, and then heavy rain for about half an hour.

Eth

Quote from: webny99 on June 18, 2018, 08:37:23 PM
Quote from: 1 on June 18, 2018, 08:34:16 PM

No, it was a thunderstorm. The temperature drop came first, around 2:00, and was followed by *some* thunder and lightning, and then heavy rain for about half an hour.

I had two separate temperature drops occur this afternoon: first from about 90 to 85 around 4 PM for no obvious reason, then again to about 77 an hour later when a rain shower rolled through. After it moved out, we rebounded to about 82 before beginning the normal evening decline. Not terribly uncommon around here this time of year.

ce929wax

We are under an excessive heat warning here in Michigan.  It is in the lower 90s with low temperatures only in the mid 70s (reminds me of Texas).  We are possibly expecting severe weather on Sunday night.  My bestie and I are going to a water park tomorrow.

Brandon

Fucking hot and humid.  Temperature is about 95 for the high, dew point is 81.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

MNHighwayMan

Can confirm the "screw this, I'm not going outside" conditions in my location as well.

Eth

Quote from: ce929wax on June 29, 2018, 05:51:58 PM
We are under an excessive heat warning here in Michigan.  It is in the lower 90s with low temperatures only in the mid 70s

:confused: I don't get it. By that standard, I should be under an excessive heat warning for an uninterrupted four-month stretch every year.

Actually it's slightly cooler than that here. 79 now after a high of 88. Today and Tuesday were the only two days this week that didn't involve some sort of mid-afternoon thunderstorm (on Tuesday, they waited until just before midnight instead).

Should be a little drier over the next week, highs staying in the upper 80s, lows in the low 70s. Pretty much normal.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Eth on June 29, 2018, 08:40:21 PM
We are under an excessive heat warning here in Michigan.  It is in the lower 90s with low temperatures only in the mid 70s
:confused: I don't get it. By that standard, I should be under an excessive heat warning for an uninterrupted four-month stretch every year.

It's important to note that Excessive Heat Warnings are issued based upon heat index (a calculation involving temperature and humidity), not just temperature.

US 89

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 29, 2018, 08:45:13 PM

It's important to note that Excessive Heat Warnings are issued based upon heat index (a calculation involving temperature and humidity), not just temperature.

Some places in the western US, where humidity is almost never a factor, use temperature alone and not heat index.

In addition, the criteria for an excessive heat warning is probably greater in Georgia than it is in Michigan. Similar to a winter weather advisory, where any snow at all is enough to issue the alert in Florida, but 3-4 inches is required for colder parts of the country.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 29, 2018, 08:45:13 PM

Also, temperatures in the 90's are expected in Georgia. Not so much further north, where people are less likely to know how to prepare for and respond to the heat appropriately. Just the opposite happens in the winter - Georgia and Tennessee get Winter Weather Warnings issued for a few flurries that wouldn't cause us to even bat an eyelash.

Basically, weather is deemed "extreme" or "excessive" relative to expected conditions in that place, and what's expected varies a lot from place to place.

(Edit: looks like US 89 beat me to it!)

ce929wax

Yes, normal high temperature in Kalamazoo for today is roughly 81 degrees with a low of 61 or 62.  Earlier this week we didn't get out of the 60s for high temperatures. 

All of the lower peninsula is under a excessive heat warning.  There are no heat advisories in the upper peninsula, although I am surprised to see it is still 84 at 10:30 p.m. in Marquette.  It is only supposed to be 82 for a high in Marquette tomorrow versus 95 in Kalamazoo.  It is 83 in Kalamazoo at 10:30 p.m.

Bruce

Thankfully, I'm in the one part of the country that isn't under excessive heat.

The long-range forecast thinks we'll have hotter weather once summer really kicks in, so I'm enjoying every minute of this Juneuary weather.

ipeters61

My father, who grew up in Norway, claims not to understand what the problem is with 95 degree temperatures and a heat index of 105 (he lives in Portland ME, I live in Dover DE).  He was telling me over the phone, "You should really take advantage of this weather."

I went outside for less than 5 minutes today, to take out the garbage, and it was painful.  I try to walk to work when the weather is nice (about 1 mile) but I'm just going to stick with driving for the next couple of days.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

bing101

https://www.abc10.com/mobile/article/news/local/county-fire-update-new-evacuation-orders/103-569506037

Now a smoke alert and possible evacuation alerts due to a fire in Yolo County, Lake County and Napa County right now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.