News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

M86

Quote from: bjrush on July 10, 2014, 06:33:13 PM
So I heard the engineers with Bentonville are really unhappy with the proposed $10 million roundabout

If Missouri doesn't pass the funding for the BVB, it will be around 10 years before MoDOT funds the BVB. So since the roundabout contract is for 700ish working days (not including winters), it will be at least 3 years (probably 4) before the roundabout is built. Meaning it will have a useful life of 5 years before it begins to be torn out for the SPUI

Unreal... Bentonville has some pull, especially with Walmart.  Affix a Walmart/Walton name to the interchange and/or highway... Just a crazy idea!

I live here... anything to get stuff built/improved... This area has some work to do!

bjrush

Well right now it is Missouri in the way of progress
Woo Pig Sooie

O Tamandua

Quote from: Road Hog on July 18, 2014, 09:07:37 PM
Quote from: bjrush on July 18, 2014, 08:59:46 PM
Why is their governor against it?

That's a huge head-scratcher. Jay Nixon is a Democrat, so he can't be philosophically against gov't spending. He is term-limited, so he can't run again. And he's a two-time loser in running for the U.S. Senate, so I don't know what kind of future he's looking to lay the groundwork for. The only thing I can reckon is the enviros have his ear.

That's precisely what I was thinking, Roadhog.  Everything I've seen about him tells me he's a true believer as well.  And those who fall into that category today are not for progress whatsoever, just like their historic counterparts.

US71

Quote from: M86 on July 19, 2014, 02:43:54 AM
Quote from: bjrush on July 10, 2014, 06:33:13 PM
So I heard the engineers with Bentonville are really unhappy with the proposed $10 million roundabout

If Missouri doesn't pass the funding for the BVB, it will be around 10 years before MoDOT funds the BVB. So since the roundabout contract is for 700ish working days (not including winters), it will be at least 3 years (probably 4) before the roundabout is built. Meaning it will have a useful life of 5 years before it begins to be torn out for the SPUI

Unreal... Bentonville has some pull, especially with Walmart.  Affix a Walmart/Walton name to the interchange and/or highway... Just a crazy idea!

I live here... anything to get stuff built/improved... This area has some work to do!

In Missouri that would be John Q Hammons, but his sphere of influence was predominantly Springfield. :|
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hizerbla

Does anyone know what is happening at the Wagon Wheel exit (76) in Springdale, AR?  Equipment has been moving in and a job board has been set up but I can't find any info posted on it.  Thanks.

US71

Quote from: hizerbla on July 21, 2014, 08:45:55 AM
Does anyone know what is happening at the Wagon Wheel exit (76) in Springdale, AR?  Equipment has been moving in and a job board has been set up but I can't find any info posted on it.  Thanks.

Maybe another widening project?

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on June 20, 2014, 10:46:14 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on June 20, 2014, 09:14:13 AM
QuoteThis section will be I-549, our 6.5 miles, until it connects to I-49."
I-549? Are they referring to the Chaffee Crossing portion? I assume this was a typo and they meant AR 549?
This later article reports that it will be "Highway 549", which indicates that it will not receive an I-549 designation and will indeed be AR 549

I have a more authoritative source, Arkansas State Highway Commission Minute Order 2014-047, which orders that this section will be dually signed as Highway 549 and Future Interstate 49 (page 16/27 of pdf; page 14 of document):

WHEREAS, the Department has received approval from the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) to designate this segment as Future Interstate 49, contingent upon Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) approval.
NOW THEREFORE, IT IS ORDERED that upon approval by the FHWA and upon official notification by the Deputy Director and Chief Engineer, the following changes are hereby made to the State Highway System as shown on the attached sketch.
- The newly constructed portion of roadway from Highway 71 to the junction with Highway 22 in the vicinity of Fort Smith and Barling is hereby designated as Highway 549, Section 6.
- The newly constructed portion of roadway from Highway 71 to the junction with Highway 22 in the vicinity of Fort Smith and Barling will be dual-signed as Highway 549 and Future Interstate 49.

AHTD, has the Department submitted an application to FHWA for this section of Future I-49?

Avalanchez71

If they can dual sign that why don't they dual sign elsewhere?

rte66man

Isn't that where the US412 bypass is supposed to go?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US71

Quote from: rte66man on July 21, 2014, 07:56:40 PM

Yes, but I'm not sure they've actually set a starting date.  I think the next widening project is Wagon Wheel to Elm Springs Rd, so that may be what's coming up.

hizerbla

The work at the exit is at the intersection of Wagon Wheel and Puppy Creek rd.  Work has been done today, but it looks like their are putting a second lane on the north side of Wagon Wheel for a right turn.  If this is the only thing they are going to do, it will not help the congestion trying to get onto I-49 from Wagon Wheel heading south.

I just don't understand why the state will not give any kind of answer as to what they are going to do or why they allowed the cluster to happen.  If I remember right, Wagon Wheel on and off ramps are just about the only ones in NWA not signed or lighted.  just my opinion in frustration :banghead:.

US71

Quote from: hizerbla on July 21, 2014, 09:09:43 PM
The work at the exit is at the intersection of Wagon Wheel and Puppy Creek rd.  Work has been done today, but it looks like their are putting a second lane on the north side of Wagon Wheel for a right turn.  If this is the only thing they are going to do, it will not help the congestion trying to get onto I-49 from Wagon Wheel heading south.

I just don't understand why the state will not give any kind of answer as to what they are going to do or why they allowed the cluster to happen.  If I remember right, Wagon Wheel on and off ramps are just about the only ones in NWA not signed or lighted.  just my opinion in frustration :banghead:.

I believe the on-ramps ARE signed. Given the layout of the interchange, the SB on-ramp is off Wagon Wheel just south of the Puppy Creek intersection.

Arkansastravelguy

The 412 bypass will be right at the Goad Springs bridge between exit 76 and 78.

iPhone

Arkansastravelguy

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: US71 on July 21, 2014, 10:41:15 PM
Quote from: hizerbla on July 21, 2014, 09:09:43 PM

I believe the on-ramps ARE signed. Given the layout of the interchange, the SB on-ramp is off Wagon Wheel just south of the Puppy Creek intersection.
Those ramps are signed. They are designed for low volume traffic... Which was fine at the time. No one anticipated the amount of growth Benton county has endured, especially Lowell and northern Springdale. ADHT doesn't have the money to keep up with such rapid growth.

iPhone

hizerbla

Okay, after rereading my post and seeing the other answers given I may have miss-worded some of the comments.  Yes, the entire intersection is "signed" with I-49 signs and no issues there.  What I meant was the use of common STOP Signs for the ease of traffic management.  Currently there is a single stop sign at the end of Wagon Wheel (west bound) and vehicles have to wait for the never ending traffic coming off of the south bound ramp, on Puppy Creek.  My suggestion to AHTD is to add two more signs to make it a three way stop for each vehicle to have the same equal chance of travel.  I understand money is an issue, but some common sense in traffic management in this area would be helpful.  Thanks from a newbie.

US71

Quote from: hizerbla on July 22, 2014, 08:59:32 AM
Okay, after rereading my post and seeing the other answers given I may have miss-worded some of the comments.  Yes, the entire intersection is "signed" with I-49 signs and no issues there.  What I meant was the use of common STOP Signs for the ease of traffic management.  Currently there is a single stop sign at the end of Wagon Wheel (west bound) and vehicles have to wait for the never ending traffic coming off of the south bound ramp, on Puppy Creek.  My suggestion to AHTD is to add two more signs to make it a three way stop for each vehicle to have the same equal chance of travel.  I understand money is an issue, but some common sense in traffic management in this area would be helpful.  Thanks from a newbie.
I'm surprised there's not a Stop on Puppy Creek Rd at Wagon Wheel.  Of course, Wagon Wheel is seeing a lot more traffic than it originally did since it was realigned at the east end .

AHTD

Quote from: US71 on July 21, 2014, 08:03:53 PM

Yes, but I'm not sure they've actually set a starting date.  I think the next widening project is Wagon Wheel to Elm Springs Rd, so that may be what's coming up.

The next travel lane widening project scheduled for letting was from New Hope Road to U.S. Highway 62/State Highway 102 (AHTD Job No. 090305), but it has been pulled form the letting tomorrow due to uncertainty with the Highway Trust Fund.

Next on the schedule should be the U.S. Highway 412 Bypass. Should let sometime this year, and it's funded by the half-cent sales tax, so should be a go.

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

AHTD

Quote from: Grzrd on July 21, 2014, 03:30:57 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on June 20, 2014, 10:46:14 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on June 20, 2014, 09:14:13 AM
QuoteThis section will be I-549, our 6.5 miles, until it connects to I-49."
I-549? Are they referring to the Chaffee Crossing portion? I assume this was a typo and they meant AR 549?
This later article reports that it will be "Highway 549", which indicates that it will not receive an I-549 designation and will indeed be AR 549

I have a more authoritative source, Arkansas State Highway Commission Minute Order 2014-047, which orders that this section will be dually signed as Highway 549 and Future Interstate 49 (page 16/27 of pdf; page 14 of document):

WHEREAS, the Department has received approval from the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) to designate this segment as Future Interstate 49, contingent upon Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) approval.
NOW THEREFORE, IT IS ORDERED that upon approval by the FHWA and upon official notification by the Deputy Director and Chief Engineer, the following changes are hereby made to the State Highway System as shown on the attached sketch.
- The newly constructed portion of roadway from Highway 71 to the junction with Highway 22 in the vicinity of Fort Smith and Barling is hereby designated as Highway 549, Section 6.
- The newly constructed portion of roadway from Highway 71 to the junction with Highway 22 in the vicinity of Fort Smith and Barling will be dual-signed as Highway 549 and Future Interstate 49.

AHTD, has the Department submitted an application to FHWA for this section of Future I-49?

We are not required to run a "Future" route signing by FHWA. That only requires approval by the AASHTO Special Committee on Route Numbering. And we have that:

http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/aashto-I-49-approval.pdf

This map is referenced in the above document:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Route_Request.pdf

rickmastfan67

So AHTD, when might I-49 'North' be getting it's new exit numbers so that there is no chance of duplication when the 'South' segment gains it's I-49 shields later this year?

AHTD

Our current understanding is that I-49 route markers south of Texarkana will be installed AFTER the ribbon cutting (currently looking more toward November).

Once that is complete, the next step will be to renumber the exits. Yes, there will be a (hopefully short) timeframe where you have two stretches of I-49 that restart exit numbers. But since they aren't contiguous, that shouldn't be a problem for the short duration.

We have previously published the list of anticipated exit numbers in this forum. Can't remember which thread, so we'll post again below. Note some of this data is subject to change. Not sure if these maps account for the newly opened Don Tyson Parkway interchange.

Louisiana State Line to Polk County Line
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Exits_1.pdf

Sevier County Line to Crawford County Line
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Exits_2.pdf

Sebastian County Line to the Missouri State Line
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Exits_3.pdf

US71

Quote from: AHTD on July 23, 2014, 11:00:29 AM
Our current understanding is that I-49 route markers south of Texarkana will be installed AFTER the ribbon cutting (currently looking more toward November).

Once that is complete, the next step will be to renumber the exits. Yes, there will be a (hopefully short) timeframe where you have two stretches of I-49 that restart exit numbers. But since they aren't contiguous, that shouldn't be a problem for the short duration.

We have previously published the list of anticipated exit numbers in this forum. Can't remember which thread, so we'll post again below. Note some of this data is subject to change. Not sure if these maps account for the newly opened Don Tyson Parkway interchange.

Will the Ft Smith to Barling section be posted or will that wait until more of the highway has been built?

bugo

Quote from: AHTD on July 23, 2014, 11:00:29 AM

Are there really going to be only two interchanges in Sevier County?  That's quite a stretch with no access.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 18, 2014, 07:47:26 AM
This article reports that the Bella Vista Bypass would be southwest Missouri's top priority if Missouri voters approve the transportation sales tax and that Arkansas Highway Commissioner Dick Trammel is strongly hinting that Arkansas would then be able to come up with the extra $50 million to complete the Arkansas section of the BVB as a four-lane facility

This article reports that AHTD Director Scott Bennett advised the Arkansas State Highway Commission on July 23 that Arkansas needs to be prepared to come up with the $50 million to complete the BVB if Missouri's transportation sales tax passes on August 5:

Also Wednesday, Bennett told the commission that Missouri voters will decide Aug. 5 on a proposed 3/4 cent sales tax increase to fund highway projects. Included in those projects would be completion of Missouri's portion of the Bella Vista Bypass, which is to link Arkansas and Missouri and become part of the I-49 corridor.
The bypass cannot be designated as part of I-49 until both the Arkansas and Missouri portions of it are completed as four-lane highways that meet interstate standards. Completing Arkansas' portion of the bypass would cost $50 million, Bennett said.
"That's the last gap between I-40 and Alma and Kansas City, so if Missouri's tax passes Aug. 5 ... we need to be prepared to consider how we come up with that $50 million to complete this interstate segment,"
he said.
Completion of the entire Arkansas stretch of I-49 reaching across the western side of the state between Missouri and Louisiana would cost $2.7 billion, Bennett said.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.