News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Best/Worst Signage by State

Started by DrZoidberg, February 01, 2009, 02:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 08, 2009, 10:14:20 PM
Another strike for Oregon DOT.  OR 217, a major artery on Portland's west side....not a single reassurance marker heading north for the entire length.  Also, OR 210, Scholls Ferry Rd, not a single reassurance marker.   The only way you know it's 210 is the sign guiding you off of 217.

That might also be partly because OR-210 is maintained by Washington County in its entirety, not ODOT.  If you look at much of the speed signs, you'll notice that they're almost all in Washington County fonts as opposed to ODOT fonts.  (The silly things I pay attention to.  :spin:)

I believe it was transferred sometime in the late 1980s/early 1990s when Scholls Ferry was widened between Nimbus and Murray.  Pretty much shields on OR-210, OR-10 and OR-8 were installed before Washington County took control of them.

-Alex (Tarkus)

DrZoidberg

Good information, Alex.  Are you a Portlander?  I'm a Lake Osweogan myself.
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

TheStranger

The signage for US 50 and Route 99 in Sacramento tends to border on the bizarre (and this includes one segment that BOTH highways share!).

US 50 eastbound is always signed, from the I-80 junction and through town (and this entire section from West Sacramento onwards is always called US 50 in traffic reports, including the triple concurrency on the WX segment from I-5 to Route 99).  Westbound?

At exit 7, it is signed as "TO I-80 West San Francisco."

At Exit 6A, it suddenly becomes "TO I-80/I-5 CA-99 - San Francisco" - technically correct as you will be on Route 99 once the ramps from the Oak Park interchange merge in, but at that moment the route is only US 50 and not Business 80 or Route 99.

At I-5 and on the Pioneer Bridge, it's signed as "Business 80 - San Francisco."  Those are the last sign gantries pointing out which route it is, until the terminus at I-80.

(And in that entire segment, the freeway onramps in both directions are ALWAYS signed only for Business 80!  There are some signs pointing out the mutiple designations on nearby surface streets, but never the Freeway Entrance ones.)

From both Route 99 and I-5, US 50 East is only signed and not US 50 West, thus creating the illusion that US 50's western terminus is at either of those interchanges, which is absolutely not the case (as both the exit numbers and legislative definition attest to). 

Now about to make a seperate Route 99 post because THAT one is even more complicated and confusing.  :crazy: :pan:
Chris Sampang

TheStranger

Route 99 in Sacramento.  Where do I begin!?  :poke:

Northbound

At exit 297, a small sign notes "TO I-5/CA 99 USE I-80 WEST" which is inaccurate as I-80 hasn't used the Capital City Freeway route in 27 years. :p  (There is a non-reflective I-80 overhead sign in the vicinity of US 50 Exit 7, and three newer red-and-blue I-80 signs along the business route's exits.)

Right after that is a "TO I-80 WEST/I-5/CA 99 San Francisco" sign gantry - repeated about a quarter mile ahead - that doesn't make a through route clear.  (99 will end up using that ramp to take the westbound WX segment of the Capital City Freeway through midtown/downtown; implied in the following descriptions is the aforementioned fact that US 50 is never signed westbound through here at any point.)

Between the two gantries is one pull-through which notes, "TO CA 99 Yuba City/I-5 Redding USE San Francisco Exit"

At the gore point, the signage now identifies that ramp as simply "TO I-80 West - San Francisco" along with the companion branch of "US 50 East - South Lake Tahoe."  Yet when the exit splits into the 99 northbound ramp and the ramp to 50 east, suddenly 99 reappears as the through route, "TO I-80/I-5 CA-99 San Francisco/Redding."

At I-5, 99 northbound (which will take the ramp from 50 west to 5 north) is only identified as "TO 99." 

Along I-5, northbound 99 only is given a trailblazer once or twice (I think around the Richards Boulevard exit), though at many of the signs in the downtown area, as well as at Richards Boulevard and on Garden Highway in south Natomas, the concurrency is completely acknowledged.  I-80 eastbound and westbound in Natomas also identifies both 5 and 99 in signs for the 80/5 junction.

In North Natomas, 99 isn't acknowledged much on the concurrency up to the north 99/5 split (though oddly, at 99's exit with Elkhorn Boulevard, the long-defunct concurrency with Route 70 IS mentioned; two or so downtown Sacramento gantries, near the Amtrak station and on Capitol Mall, mention 70/99 as well, even though 70 stopped reaching downtown ca. 1970.)

Southbound

Along Route 99 in north Natomas (past the Elkhorn exit), the concurrency is completely acknowledged, including one trailblazer for both 5 and 99 as you merge onto I-5 south.  Then none of the gantries mention 99's presence on the mainline towards US 50.

Another southbound trailblazer pops up on the bridge crossing the American River (after the Garden Highway exit).  After Richards Boulevard, the upcoming exit for the WX Freeway is properly identified with all three routes - US 50/Business 80/CA 99.  At the Q Street exit, all three routes continue to correctly be noted, this time as "US 50/Business 80/CA 99 South - Fresno-San Francisco."

Where the 99/5 split occurs, the signage once also was as correct as the Q Street overheads, though this recently was changed (if I am not mistaken) to US 50/Business 80/To 99.  When the 50 west (Business 80 west) ramp heads off, the split is signed as...

"US 50 EAST/TO 99 Fresno" and "TO I-80 San Francisco" (note no mention of Business 80).

After that, 99 next reappears on the advance signage for the direct ramp to the South Sacramento Freeway.

Oh, and did I mention that there are NO trailblazers of any sort along US 50 (and Route 99) between West Sacramento and the Oak Park interchange?  :rolleyes:
Chris Sampang

Tarkus

Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 10, 2009, 11:22:02 PM
Are you a Portlander?  I'm a Lake Osweogan myself.

Yes, born and raised in Washington County.  I'm in Eugene most of the year for my education, though, right now.

-Alex (Tarkus)

DrZoidberg

QuoteYes, born and raised in Washington County.  I'm in Eugene most of the year for my education, though, right now.

A Duck, I assume??  That's okay, I guess.....married to an OSU alum.  :-P  But I have nothing against the Ducks.  My alma mater is a badger (UW Madison)
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.