News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Big Bend National Park

Started by BigMattFromTexas, June 16, 2009, 10:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

I got pictures of Big Bend so yall should check em' out
https://picasaweb.google.com/bigmatt30000/BigBendNationalPark?authuser=0&feat=directlink
BigMatt

texaskdog

Okay now to open a potential can of worms.  I love Big Bend but you don't see much of it from the paved roads.  Love that they are opening Boquillas but wish they would pave the dirt road close to the river, and the one heading north from Santa Elena by Jackal's.  Agree or disagree?

J N Winkler

Hmmm.  The OP is more than two years old and the photo album is no longer available.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

BigMattFromTexas

https://picasaweb.google.com/bigmatt30000/BigBendNationalPark?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I agree that maybe they should pave some more roads. But I kinda think that if they pave them, it might eliminate some of the scenery.. I like dirt roads..
BigMatt

texaskdog

Those back roads are undrivable in a normal car.  I did the Jackal road in 2002....when I tried and failed in 2009 i couldnt believe i had done it once before.

agentsteel53

we need sane dirt roads.  the concept of "dirt road" covers a range from a perfectly well-graded straight, wide route on which I've done 100mph in a small sedan ... to a terrifying goat path that is indistinguishable from the surrounding scenery.

pavement is really not necessary in parks and other scenic areas.  in fact, keeping the roads as dirt is a good way to maintain the character of the environment.  but, please, no "Sherman tank only" routes on areas intended to be enjoyed by the general populace!

(see also: the notorious CA state route 173.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Does anyone else remember being able to cross the river at Boquillas & Santa Elena by rowboat for three bucks?  I miss those days.....  Having bicycled on some of those unpaved roads, and having seen park rangers driving them, I'd say they're not too bad with a pickup or SUV.  If you're going to be heading back-country, shouldn't you have a vechicle like that anyway??
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

In 2002 I rented a car and drove the jackal road.  In 2009 I took my car and found it to be impassible, and most of the roads are far worse.  We did drive the hot springs road.  the paved road in the park and kept pretty well low key.  Gravel is okay too but its so slow to travel on.

texaskdog

BTW Boquillas is reopening in April.  You can cross again legally!

agentsteel53

Quote from: texaskdog on December 19, 2011, 02:39:52 PM

how thorough will the border patrol inquiry be on your return to the US, given that from Boquillas you really can't go into much of Mexico unless you want to risk dying in the desert?

I'm hoping it doesn't get anywhere near as bad as a low-traffic major crossing like Tecate.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

texaskdog

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 19, 2011, 04:10:27 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on December 19, 2011, 02:39:52 PM

how thorough will the border patrol inquiry be on your return to the US, given that from Boquillas you really can't go into much of Mexico unless you want to risk dying in the desert?

I'm hoping it doesn't get anywhere near as bad as a low-traffic major crossing like Tecate.

Apparently you will have to talk to someone from Presidio by video screen.  The park service is going to run a ferry across.

kphoger

Ferry service over a river I've waded across.  Ha!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: texaskdog on December 21, 2011, 11:18:40 AMApparently you will have to talk to someone from Presidio by video screen.  The park service is going to run a ferry across.

I would love to know how they would process a deaf person who can't use a video screen with audio hookup.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 21, 2011, 05:07:15 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on December 21, 2011, 11:18:40 AMApparently you will have to talk to someone from Presidio by video screen.  The park service is going to run a ferry across.

I would love to know how they would process a deaf person who can't use a video screen with audio hookup.

One would hope that they've actually read the ADA and have some kind of reasonable accommodation in place.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 21, 2011, 05:07:15 PM

Like the government thinks of these things

kphoger

OK, I assumed this was sarcasm.  Video screen and ferry service?  Yeah, right.  Seriously, the river is like waist-deep there.....
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 21, 2011, 06:04:54 PMOne would hope that they've actually read the ADA and have some kind of reasonable accommodation in place.

One would expect that indeed.  What tends to happen in practice (at least at airports) is that I hand over my passport and Form 6059, the immigration inspector says something, I point at my ear and say "What," and then they can't get rid of me fast enough.  In over a decade of going through US immigration once or twice a year, I think there has been just one occasion when the immigration inspector actually wrote down the question he wanted to ask on a slip of paper.  (I usually insist on written communication because any misunderstanding can result in my luggage being opened for inspection or my being detained, or worse.)

In contradistinction, Canadian customs officers always write down the standard questions about alcohol, tobacco, and goods being taken into Canada, because they are really serious about collecting any duty and GST/PST which may be owed on those items.  Similarly, British immigration inspectors always write down their questions because they are really keen on catching overstayers and other potential long-term migrants.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.