News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-5 construction in southern Los Angeles county

Started by MarkF, March 16, 2014, 04:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkF

I took a trip up to L.A. today, here are some shots of the construction work on I-5 between CA 91 and I-605:

Work on the new Alondra overpass

Detail on the new Alondra overpass

Old Carminita overpass, with work on much longer new overpass on the right

Old Carminita overpass, with columns for the new overpass behind it

New Shoemaker overpass, area for new roadbed to the right

New Shoemaker overpass, note column detail

Old Firestone left exit

Old Silver Bow pedestrian crossing

Realignment south of Imperial Hwy

New roadbed on the left, near Pioneer Blvd

nexus73

When is the Santa Ana Freeway project in LA County due to be completed?

Nice pix by the way!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

sdmichael

I'll have to use my GoPro next time I head up that way on my motorcycle. It will be interesting to see how it all comes out.

hm insulators

Quote from: nexus73 on March 16, 2014, 12:39:16 PM
When is the Santa Ana Freeway project in LA County due to be completed?

Nice pix by the way!

Rick

The real question is why wasn't it done 40 years ago?
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

sdmichael

I posted the link in another post... but here it is:

MarkF

I drove through there again today (4/20/14), some updates, this time going southbound:

Work on new Imperial Hwy overpass to the right.  In this area, the present path of I-5 will be the northbound lanes, with the new southbound lanes added to the west.

New Rosecrans overpass getting started.

Shoemaker overpass now has side walls up.

MarkF

AsphaltPlanet

I find it interesting that Caltrans still casts most of their overpasses in place.  It seems a lot of jurisdictions have moved to prefabricated steel or concrete beams for new construction.  Any particular reason for this practice?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

rschen7754

MarkF

Some updates from Labor Day weekend:

Shoemaker Ave overpass is completed and northbound traffic is on new roadbed.

Detail of new fencing. Any idea what it is supposed to be?

Rebar south of the Imperial Hwy exit.  Not sure if that is just for the soundwall, or if the roadway is going to be raised to that level.

New southbound bridgework at Norwalk Bl.

North of Pioneer Bl, the new soundwall is up on the southbound side.  Roadbed will be raised a bit through here.

This section south of Florence Ave in Downey appears mostly untouched at this point.

pctech

The sculpture on the wall kind of reminds me of the periscope eye/heat-ray device on the 1950's War of the Worlds Martian war machines. :bigass:
Obvious that major work going there, how do they handle traffic during the construction? Do the contractors do a lot of work at night?

MarkF

Quote from: pctech on October 26, 2014, 02:00:12 PM
The sculpture on the wall kind of reminds me of the periscope eye/heat-ray device on the 1950's War of the Worlds Martian war machines. :bigass:
Obvious that major work going there, how do they handle traffic during the construction? Do the contractors do a lot of work at night?
I thought it looked like that, too.  I think most of the work is done at night, lots of lights on the construction sites.

sdmichael

According to my friend in Caltrans D7, construction on the northern segment of I-5 up to I-605 should begin soon. It will be, however, one of the last big projects for a while in D7.

OCGuy81

Great pictures! Thanks for posting.

Not sure what that sculpture on the wall is supposed to be.  Shaped a bit like a palm tree.

Desert Man

Does anyone on I-5 in SE LA county take the time to notice freeway improvements in front of or around them? The point of freeway renovation is to make the drive safer and less congested, then there's an artistic taste or touch in the projects. 

EDIT: I was upgraded from county road to state route (250+ registered posts), thanks AARoads!  :bigass:
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

MarkF

July 4th update, very little traffic anywhere on the L.A. freeways today, as is usually the case for the middle day of a 3 day weekend.  This stretch is normally stop and go on a Saturday afternoon.

Stretch between Artesia Blvd and Valley View Ave mostly untouched so far.

Alondra Blvd crossing completed.

Much of the bridgework for the new Carmenita Rd overcrossing is complete, traffic is still on the old bridge.

Site of the old Firestone Blvd left exit.  Southbound traffic has been moved to the new roadbed and the old bridge demolished.

South of Imperial Hwy.  New roadbed will run quite higher.

Construction started at Florence.

pctech

When complete how many lanes will I-5 have through here? How old was the original 6 lane freeway?

sdmichael

Quote from: pctech on July 08, 2015, 01:20:19 PM
When complete how many lanes will I-5 have through here? How old was the original 6 lane freeway?

The end result will be 8+2 HOV lanes. The original freeway was completed about 1953 with the portion south of Firestone as an upgraded expressway from earlier.

pctech

A six lane freeway in today's southern CA must seem tiny. Here in Louisiana there are only few places with anything wider than 6 lanes and no HOV/HOT lanes that I'm aware of.

hm insulators

Quote from: pctech on July 09, 2015, 10:27:14 AM
A six lane freeway in today's southern CA must seem tiny. Here in Louisiana there are only few places with anything wider than 6 lanes and no HOV/HOT lanes that I'm aware of.

Like I said earlier, they should've widened it 40-45 years ago. Shoot, I remember forty years ago, they widened the 101 between Las Virgenes and out past Thousand Oaks in the mid-70s and that part of southern California was far less populated than it is today.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

iBallasticwolf2

I have actually seen that construction on I-5 a few years ago but my memory is not good of it.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

MarkF

MarkF

July 2017 update:

https://youtu.be/7nYdY7ubiqs

Unfortunately this was shot into a setting sun, so had to play with the exposure.  This was one of the very rare times that I hit no traffic on this route, it is usually tied up through here even on the weekends.  But it was the start of the 4th of July weekend, and I've found that traffic is usually much lighter in LA on holiday weekends.

nexus73

When will the project be completed?

Lordy, would I hate to have to drive on those narrow lanes with barriers...

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

MarkF

April 2018 update:
https://youtu.be/gSAKFW5DnfI

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.