News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-395 signs on the Today show

Started by txstateends, January 14, 2012, 12:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

During the Kathie Lee-Hoda hour (the overnight rerun), one of their segments talked about funny pix sent in by viewers.  This I-395 collection was one of them.  Kathie Lee said something about how too many roads had signage just like this. 
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Beltway

Where is this?  There are 5 different occurances of I-395.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Besides the snarky answer "in a construction yard":
Can't be Florida or Maine, 395 runs east-west there.
I-395 isn't nearly important enough in Baltimore to be signed with a detour.
VA-DC is a possibility, CT-ME is a possibility. I feel bad for whichever state is stuck with these bubble shields and misused left/right arrows.

J N Winkler

Just to get the obvious out of the way:  these are bubble shields.  Does this mean that the Today Show has become accommodating to shield-shape purists?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

txstateends

Finally found the video link:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29054368/ns/kathie_lee_and_hoda/#45957641
(you have to pan a little bit down the page to get in frame with the video player on that site)

It was somebody from Alexandria, VA that submitted the pic, so I assume the DC area?  They never said exactly where it was taken.

Didn't see the earlier pic shown in the vid about the sign "humped zebra crossing"--supposedly somewhere with a speed bump, but the pic only shows the sign, not the road so we don't see the actual bump.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

J N Winkler

Quote from: txstateends on January 14, 2012, 11:03:55 PMDidn't see the earlier pic shown in the vid about the sign "humped zebra crossing"--supposedly somewhere with a speed bump, but the pic only shows the sign, not the road so we don't see the actual bump.

Old, old, old gag--"Do we need to know about the zebra's sex life?"  Zebra crossing is the term of art in Britain for what Americans would call an unsignalized midblock marked crosswalk.  The standard marking consists of thick white longitudinal stripes, which against asphalt pavement (the vast majority of highway mileage in Britain is bituminous-surfaced) looks like a zebra's coat.  A humped zebra crossing is just a zebra crossing where the crossing area is marked out on a flat-topped road hump.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

english si

An actual humped zebra on Streetview (HT:J N Winkler himself, whose post on SABRE was the first one I found to give a location - the places I thought of were humped pelicans or humped puffins, rather than humped zebras).

J N Winkler

Si--you're welcome.  Here is another, also in Oxford, on Walton Street near where Little Clarendon Street ends at Walton Crescent.  At one time this crossing was explicitly signed as a "Humped zebra crossing," but those signs now seem to have been removed, possibly as part of the refurbishment of Walton Street which occurred about five years ago.

I don't think "Humped zebra crossing" has ever been prescribed in TSRGD or authorized by DFT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.