News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

ImageShack is dumping images on March 1, 2012!

Started by D-Dey65, February 19, 2012, 10:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

I read this announcement on the Internet Movie Cars Database forum, but it affects images on this site too:

QuoteYou have 24301 photos stored. Since you're over the 500 photo limit you'll need to upgrade to a Premium account or you'll only be able to keep 500 of your recent photos. Older photos will expire on the 1st of March.

http://forum.imcdb.org/index.ks?page=forum_topic&id=6779&index=0

We'd better have another way to upload images on this forum, or we'll all be in trouble.

Quillz

Well it only affects those with over 500 photos, it seems.

Although I personally just use Photobucket, I much prefer its interface and organization options.

vtk

My web space is relatively underutilized. I could theoretically open a hosting service for AARoads forum users.  I'd probably have to cap the number of users, and cautiously raise that cap over time.  There might be an invite system. I could share my code so other webmasters can share the burden if they wish.

I cannot garantee that I'll be able to open the service by March 1, if I even do it at all. My work schedule is highly unpredictable, and personal projects like this often get severely delayed.

Or, you know, there are other services.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

froggie

Indeed.  Several of the regulars on here have Flickr (even Flickr Pro) accounts.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for.  If you don't want to pay for a hosting service, don't expect to be able to keep a lot of photos on it.

mightyace

Exactly, froggie.

Personally, I have a flickr pro account.  (And, similarly to ImageShack, flckr had a cap of 200 - at least visible at one time.)

IMO, I don't think a $30-50 annual fee is too much to be have an account.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 19, 2012, 10:33:30 PM
We'd better have another way to upload images on this forum, or we'll all be in trouble.

Go with Photobucket.

They have no Storage limit now, except for videos which is capped at 500.  Plus you get up to 10GB of bandwidth per month (I'm lucky to hit over 100MB a month sometimes).  However, the unlimited storage is only for non-commercial use, which is what I use it for, so I'm all good. :)

Duke87

You know, you don't need to create an account to use ImageShack. No upload limit if you upload without registering!

I will generally agree though that ImageShack has really gone downhill. I keep fighting back against their bullshit because I'm thickheadded like that (I've even gone so far as to rig up some element blocking so the multiple upload feature still works), but I expect in the future I will simply find some other service to use.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US71

I have Flickr for about 3 years now and have been relatively happy with them... except when someone steals my photos and they say they can't do anything. :pan:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Quillz

Quote from: Duke87 on February 20, 2012, 06:22:40 PM
You know, you don't need to create an account to use ImageShack. No upload limit if you upload without registering!

I will generally agree though that ImageShack has really gone downhill. I keep fighting back against their bullshit because I'm thickheadded like that (I've even gone so far as to rig up some element blocking so the multiple upload feature still works), but I expect in the future I will simply find some other service to use.
My main issue is that with ImageShack, at least with free accounts, there doesn't appear to be any sense of organization. You just upload your images and they're all on one page. Photobucket is nice because I can have unlimited folders for organization purposes. When I upload my shield concepts, I like to keep them organized by country, state, etc. I've not found any way to do this on ImageShack.

I've also found ImageShack seems to have a lot less bandwidth than Photobucket.

Duke87

I think there's a question of usage style here. I don't use ImageShack to store images (that's what my hard drive is for), I just use it as a place to upload something if I want to post it on a forum. So, I neither need nor want it to organize things. I upload it, post it, and then forget about it. And if six months later I want to share the same image again, I just upload it again.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Duke87 on February 20, 2012, 06:22:40 PM
In that case, I've got an image for the Fictional Highway board that needs to be shown. I upload without registering all the time. I see that with ImageShack you can still do that, but the question is, for how long will you be able to do that?

UPDATE: They're forcing registrations now, and despite the fact that my upload was successful, I can't get the link for it.

:verymad:

froggie

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.