I-494 and I-694 to be renumbered into one route

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, April 01, 2022, 02:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

I have no words, so here's the biggest takeaway from the story:

Quote from: Star Tribune
In a stunning late-afternoon announcement Thursday, MnDOT officials confirmed a massive change coming soon to affect many thousands of Twin Cities motorists: the I-494/694 Beltway around the Twin Cities would be reduced to being only I-494.

"It's going to be a big change, no doubt, that will be very different for people used to driving on I-694 every day," said Minnesota Department of Transportation Temporary Commissioner Nancy Daubenberger. "But we believe that like the decision to make Highway 62 and Highway 110 into one route in recent years, this will ultimately be for the benefit of the motoring public." Daubenberger was referring to MnDOT's 2018 decision to eliminate State Highway 110 in the south metro between Highway 55 in Mendota Heights and I-494 in Inver Grove Heights and make it part of Highway 62. That change was made largely due to motorists being confused by one road changing into three different numbers across a short distance, including the section of Highway 55 that joined between Highway 62 and the former Highway 110.

Why the change? Daubenberger said reducing the beltway to one number would emphasize the circular nature of 494 and 694 being two routes sharing one road better than the current setup. I-494 will become the sole number on the route, with I-694 being eliminated and made into part of I-494. I-494 makes up 42 miles of the 73-mile long beltway around Minneapolis and St. Paul along the west, south, and southeast sides of the metro, while I-694 makes up the remaining 31 miles along the north and northeast sides, so it was decided it would be cheaper to change over I-694 into part of I-494. I-494 also connects major Twin Cities landmarks such as the Mall of America and the Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport, which MnDOT said also contributed to the decision that I-494 should be the number to remain.

Numbers on specific costs were not immediately available, but early estimates suggest $25 million to $30 million to change signs, maps, and other references to I-694 into I-494.

Drivers will be alerted to the upcoming changes through static warning signs as well as messages posted on electronic signs, which crews are expected to begin changing over signs on I-694 in the fall and hope to be completed by April 1, 2023.

More on this shocking development from the Strib.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Terry Shea

LilianaUwU

I expected a Rick Roll. What I got was much better.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

Will I-294, I-794, and I-894 also be combined into this mega-route?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

The Ghostbuster

Given the way 494 and 694's exit sequence is, it probably makes sense that both routes should have one designation. One question: when 694 is renumbered, will the 94/694 duplex become 94/494, or just 94? If it became just 94, the exits would have to be renumbered on that segment.

Henry

Even now, this is the only beltway I know of that doesn't have a number divisible by 5 (but aren't there enough I-x35s to go around?).

My money is on I-694 taking over I-494, as I-94 is already in a concurrency with the former. Save I-494 for that Crosstown Expressway in Chicago, and this would create a network of unique I-x94s (Bismarck doesn't count, since that one is unsigned).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Zaphod

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 01, 2022, 08:20:51 AM
no but

IL-53 parts / I-355 / I-290 (parts) need to become one number from lake cook to I-80

JoePCool14

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 01, 2022, 10:50:20 AM
no but

IL-53 parts / I-355 / I-290 (parts) need to become one number from lake cook to I-80

They could, but I-290 technically makes sense being it's an alternate route to I-90. Maybe extend I-355 to the north end to become a super long spur route. (Yes, this would involve a concurrency)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 01, 2022, 02:44:56 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 01, 2022, 10:50:20 AM
no but

They could, but I-290 technically makes sense being it's an alternate route to I-90. Maybe extend I-355 to the north end to become a super long spur route. (Yes, this would involve a concurrency)
move I-290 to the EOE with an link back to I-90 near IL-47

rte66man

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 01, 2022, 02:16:56 AM
I have no words, so here's the biggest takeaway from the story:

Quote from: Star Tribune
In a stunning late-afternoon announcement Thursday, MnDOT officials confirmed a massive change coming soon to affect many thousands of Twin Cities motorists: the I-494/694 Beltway around the Twin Cities would be reduced to being only I-494.

"It's going to be a big change, no doubt, that will be very different for people used to driving on I-694 every day," said Minnesota Department of Transportation Temporary Commissioner Nancy Daubenberger. "But we believe that like the decision to make Highway 62 and Highway 110 into one route in recent years, this will ultimately be for the benefit of the motoring public." Daubenberger was referring to MnDOT's 2018 decision to eliminate State Highway 110 in the south metro between Highway 55 in Mendota Heights and I-494 in Inver Grove Heights and make it part of Highway 62. That change was made largely due to motorists being confused by one road changing into three different numbers across a short distance, including the section of Highway 55 that joined between Highway 62 and the former Highway 110.

Why the change? Daubenberger said reducing the beltway to one number would emphasize the circular nature of 494 and 694 being two routes sharing one road better than the current setup. I-494 will become the sole number on the route, with I-694 being eliminated and made into part of I-494. I-494 makes up 42 miles of the 73-mile long beltway around Minneapolis and St. Paul along the west, south, and southeast sides of the metro, while I-694 makes up the remaining 31 miles along the north and northeast sides, so it was decided it would be cheaper to change over I-694 into part of I-494. I-494 also connects major Twin Cities landmarks such as the Mall of America and the Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport, which MnDOT said also contributed to the decision that I-494 should be the number to remain.

Numbers on specific costs were not immediately available, but early estimates suggest $25 million to $30 million to change signs, maps, and other references to I-694 into I-494.

Drivers will be alerted to the upcoming changes through static warning signs as well as messages posted on electronic signs, which crews are expected to begin changing over signs on I-694 in the fall and hope to be completed by April 1, 2023.

More on this shocking development from the Strib.

Ha ha. They pulled a good joke appropriate for today's date.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

The Ghostbuster

The Interstate 494 and Interstate 694 Wikipedia pages have not been updated yet, so it remains to be seen whether this proposal will come to fruition.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 02, 2022, 11:53:04 AM
The Interstate 494 and Interstate 694 Wikipedia pages have not been updated yet, so it remains to be seen whether this proposal will come to fruition.

Always an open opportunity for someone here to edit the page.

Also, someone needs to update the CA 58 page to reflect its future Interstate corridor status.  Come on people, we are better than this as a community...need to stay current.  :no:

jlam

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 02, 2022, 03:06:55 PM

Also, someone needs to update the CA 58 page to reflect its future Interstate corridor status.  Come on people, we are better than this as a community...need to stay current.  :no:
And whatever happened to future I-13 serving the Eastern Nevada megalopolises?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jlam on April 02, 2022, 04:06:23 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 02, 2022, 03:06:55 PM

And whatever happened to future I-13 serving the Eastern Nevada megalopolises?

Proposal only, effectively killed when this whole high speed rail between Victorville and Las Vegas deal came up. 

Papa Emeritus

Good April fool's joke! It would be nice if MNDoT decided to entertain drivers on the combined freeway with some of Chino Latino's most inappropriate billboards, like:

If our food were any more authentic, your dog would be on the menu

The freshest meat outside of a prison

Get Lucky....or Jerk Chicken

Mommy, Mr. Whiskers didn't come home last night

Hotter than your Booty Call

Wok your dog

Note to people outside the Twin Cities: Chino Latino was a restaurant in Minneapolis' Uptown neighborhood that for many years promoted itself with billboards that were intentionally shocking and crude. Although many people, with good reason, were VERY offended by Chino Latino's billboards, the billboards provided a lot of free publicity for the restaurant.

kphoger

The hardest part to believe was that a major news outlet would describe a highway renumbering as "stunning".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

The Ghostbuster

Is this really going to happen? If not, LOCK THE THREAD! No more April Fools Day jokes.

SSOWorld

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 04, 2022, 06:08:12 PM
Is this really going to happen? If not, LOCK THE THREAD! No more April Fools Day jokes.
Do I need to explain the joke? or can you figure it out for yourself?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

Never believe anything you see on April 1st, or at least don't believe it on face value.  The jokes are so prevalent on the 1st that I had to put a disclaimer on Gribblenation that the CA 47/Vincent Thomas Bridge article was authentic.

Scott5114

Don't tell me what to do.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

midwesternroadguy

I'm surprised that so many people missed the April Fool's aspect of this. I guess that explains the success of so many conspiracy theories these days.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on April 05, 2022, 06:31:15 AM

I'm surprised that so many people missed the April Fool's aspect of this. I guess that explains the success of so many conspiracy theories these days.

Since I was in on the joke I threw in a "conspiracy"  reference from California that a lot of people actually believe (CA 58 becoming I-40).  This thread was definitely the best April Fools this year because it was well written and semi-plausible at first glance.  RGT screwed up early on with the "Modest Proposal"  thread having zero subtly. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 05, 2022, 07:48:26 AM
Quote from: midwesternroadguy on April 05, 2022, 06:31:15 AM

Since I was in on the joke I threw in a "conspiracy"  reference from California that a lot of people actually believe (CA 58 becoming I-40).  This thread was definitely the best April Fools this year because it was well written and semi-plausible at first glance.  RGT screwed up early on with the "Modest Proposal"  thread having zero subtly.

What about the Baltimore one (that even linked to a video of a song called Highway Star) and mine that was a different topic altogether (not a news article)?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.