News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Proposed redesign of interchange would put U.S. 131 over ground-level Wealthy St

Started by afguy, May 10, 2022, 04:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afguy

Really don't know what to think of this design as I haven't driven the area in 13 years...

QuoteOn Tuesday, May 10, Grand Rapids city leaders accepted a $10 million grant from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation to design the new interchange configuration and complete other necessary steps, such as relocating utilities, that will get the project ready for bidding.

Burkman said it will take about five years to complete those preliminary steps that will ready the project for construction, should funding become available. No funds are yet secured for the construction.

Burkman said it's too early to provide a good estimate of what the construction will cost. However, he said, it will certainly be more than $10 million.
https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2022/05/proposed-redesign-of-interchange-would-put-us-131-over-ground-level-wealthy-street.html

skluth

I'm very confused by the statement. Right now Wealthy not only goes over US 131 but also Ionia and Century Av. Reversing the viaducts would force the two busy closer-to-the-freeway streets into cross streets. I'd think the bigger cause for accidents is the funky configuration with NB traffic interacting in the middle of the Wealthy viaduct, especially the entrance ramp coming into a curve not to mention that nearby half-interchange with Cherry. I do understand the desire to have US 131 elevated along the entire corridor from the railroad viaduct to the south to north of the Grand River which would make redesign easier.

I completely see the need to redesign the interchange. But I don't think moving US 131 under Wealthy is the solution. IMO, a DDI or SPUI at Wealthy plus either integrating the Cherry interchange or eliminating it completely would probably solve traffic issues more than swapping viaducts.

JREwing78

If we're clean-sheeting the design anyway, it would make sense to keep US-131 and its associated traffic elevated, and restore Wealthy St to a ground-level street. Done wisely, it would open up space in the area to improve parking for the train station and bus station, and make it easier for pedestrians to cross US-131.

Terry Shea

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.