News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-75 widening Toledo to Findlay / OH 15 Interchange

Started by Buck87, December 12, 2014, 12:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westerninterloper

This project is substantially complete from about Cygnet (OH25 and I-75, Exit 171, and Perrysburg. I think one lane may still be closed in each direction between SR 582 and I-475. The I75-475 interchange is also mostly complete, and work has begun on the new SPUI interchange at SR 25 and I-475 in Perrysburg.

Work remains on the sections between Findlay and Cygnet.

Around Toledo, construction projects on I-475 from about Exit 6 to the US23/I-475 split are also complete for the year. The Central Avenue interchange is open and mostly complete, although it needs (better/any) signage.

I-75 in Central Toledo between downtown and the I-475/75 split in central Toledo is complete and looks great; there is still a lot of work to do between the split and the I-75/280 interchange on the north side, but there are currently no detours. Next year ODOT will be reconstructing I-75 from downtown south to the river bridge.

Once those projects are complete, Toledo metro's interstates will be in very good shape - nearly all of it (except a bit of I-475 on the northwest side) will have been rebuilt in the last five to seven years.

Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Buck87

Adding a 3rd lane to the CR 199 to OH 15/US 68 section through Findlay is listed in the Tier 2 section of the TRAC 4 year plan draft, but has no money budgeted for it, so it will likely be a long time before that ever gets done.

District 1's page about the project says it's scheduled to have the contract awarded and construction started in 2017, though I would imagine that page hasn't been updated in quite a while: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D01/PlanningPrograms/Projects/hancock75/Pages/default.aspx

westerninterloper

That's good to know - I think it is a change. Construction was projected to start on those sections next year, but when I drove down that way recently, everything was cleaned up and it looked like no work was imminent. Either way, the stretch from just north of Findlay to Perrysburg is fantastic now.

Buck87

Buck87

Huh, so according to this District 1 press release, the widening of 75 thru Findlay and the reconstruction of the I-75/OH 15/US 68 and OH 15/US 68/Lima Ave interchanges will be starting this year. Excellent!

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D01/newsreleases/Pages/Beaver-Excavating-apparent-low-bidder-for-I-75-Hancock-project.aspx

QuoteBeaver Excavating apparent low bidder for Interstate 75 project
I-75 through Findlay, Hancock County to be under construction this spring

LIMA (Thursday, February 9, 2017) Beaver Excavating Company, Canton, is the apparent low bidder for a project which will reconstruct and widen Interstate 75 through Findlay and Hancock County beginning this spring
The apparent successful bid was $113.2 million. The contract will be officially awarded in approximately two weeks once a review of all bidding documents is complete.
The project will take place from just south of Harrison Street/County Road 144, which is just south of the Ohio 15/U.S. Route 68 interchange, to the County Road 99 interchange in Findlay. The project will reconstruct the existing pavement on Interstate 75, add a third travel lane in both the northbound and southbound direction, reconstruct the interchange between U.S. 68/state Route 15 and Interstate 75, and upgrade the roadway to modern highway standards.
"A modern, expanded and greatly-improved interstate is on the other side of what will be an estimated three seasons of construction,"  said Kirk Slusher, Ohio Department of Transportation District 1 deputy director. "We look forward to beginning this phase of improvement to the Interstate 75 corridor which is one of the most important in the region and the state,"  he said.
The project also includes:
·       Replacement of the Harrison Street overpass
·       Redesign and reconstruction of the interchange with U.S. 68/state Route 15 at Lima Avenue
·       Construction of noise walls along the interstate at the following locations:
o   Adjacent to Carlin Road north of County Road 313 and south of Harrison Street/County Road 144 on the east side of the interstate
o   Adjacent to Broad Avenue between U.S. 224/Trenton Avenue and Bigelow Avenue/County Road 96 on the east and west side of the interstate
o   Adjacent to Crosshill Drive from north of Bigelow Avenue/County Road 96 to just north of Hillshafer Drive on the east side of the interstate
Construction on the project is expected to begin early this spring once the contract is officially awarded.
This section of Interstate 75, which was originally constructed in the 1950s, last saw major work in 1989.
Work currently under way on Interstate 75 north of Findlay will continue through fall of this year. A $135.7 million project on Interstate 75 through Lima and Allen County from the Auglaize County line to just north of state Route 81 was completed last fall.

frankenroad

Although I agree this needs to be done, I am not looking forward to three summers of going to Marblehead and dealing with this construction.   But, I guess it won't be so bad compared to the 10+ years of 75 reconstruction through Dayton that I dealt with. :-D
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Buck87

Here are the plans for the interchange they are building:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D01/PlanningPrograms/Projects/hancock75/Documents/87005MOTAA-Exhibit1%2036x36.pdf

- both ramps from I-75 to OH 15/US 68 will also have ramps splitting from them to Lima Ave
- the I-75 south to OH 15/US 68 ramp will be a big sweeping flyover, replacing a loop
- Lima Ave to I-75 will have its own ramp that splits and connects to the separate ramps from OH 15/US 68 to I-75 north and south.
- Lima Ave will be relocated and have 2 roundabouts

They also have a conceptual signing plan posted. Here the page showing the reconstructed interchanges:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D01/PlanningPrograms/Projects/hancock75/Documents/IMStp001.pdf

frankenroad

It appears that someone traveling North/West on 68/15 who wants to stay on 15 will have trouble following 15 as it is omitted from most of the "75 NORTH Toledo" signs.  Nor is there an "END 68" sign.

Also, on NB 75, the pull-through sign should read "NORTH 75, WEST 15."
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

vtk

I'm having trouble imagining how that would be phased without months-long closures of the 75N to 15E and 15W to 75S ramps and temporarily introducing even sharper curves on the looping 75S to 15E ramp.  And I don't like Columbus being relegated to a single auxilliary guide sign for each direction on 75, especially so near an exit with Columbus Grove displayed as a destination.  IMO Columbus should be displayed as the primary destination for exit 156, at least on southbound I-75.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Buck87

Quote from: vtk on February 14, 2017, 10:53:00 PM
I'm having trouble imagining how that would be phased without months-long closures of the 75N to 15E and 15W to 75S ramps and temporarily introducing even sharper curves on the looping 75S to 15E ramp.  And I don't like Columbus being relegated to a single auxilliary guide sign for each direction on 75, especially so near an exit with Columbus Grove displayed as a destination.  IMO Columbus should be displayed as the primary destination for exit 156, at least on southbound I-75.

Columbus and Kenton are the primary destinations listed on the current signage, with Carey being the one relegated to an auxiliary sign. Though for the new plan it looks like it's addition of Lima Ave that's screwing things up.

Quote from: frankenroad on February 14, 2017, 05:03:22 PM
It appears that someone traveling North/West on 68/15 who wants to stay on 15 will have trouble following 15 as it is omitted from most of the "75 NORTH Toledo" signs.  Nor is there an "END 68" sign.

Also, on NB 75, the pull-through sign should read "NORTH 75, WEST 15."

True. Though it is kind of awkward the way 15 goes around Findlay with 75 and then has that long concurrency with 224 to Ottawa, where it become a more north/south route. They moved 15 off it's original Findlay to Carey alignment (current OH 568) back when the expressway was built in the 60's, and I wish they would have either just left 15 where it was, or better yet truncated it at Ottawa. That way the expressway from 75 to 23 could have been given an X23 number. I think OH 223 would have worked nicely (take 223 to 23)

frankenroad

True. Though it is kind of awkward the way 15 goes around Findlay with 75 and then has that long concurrency with 224 to Ottawa, where it become a more north/south route. They moved 15 off it's original Findlay to Carey alignment (current OH 568) back when the expressway was built in the 60's, and I wish they would have either just left 15 where it was, or better yet truncated it at Ottawa. That way the expressway from 75 to 23 could have been given an X23 number. I think OH 223 would have worked nicely (take 223 to 23)

Even better, IMHO, is that 23 should have been routed over the new expressway and then be multiplexed with 75 from Findlay to 475.  Current 23 could have been numbered 623 (the only x23 available, since there is a US-223, short though it is.) from Carey to US-20.   Or it could have been a southern extension of 420.

That makes it more straightforward for non-roadgeeks.   "Take 23 all the way from Columbus to Toledo."

And really, Michigan should truncate 223 where it hits 23 near Lambertville.

They should just put us in charge, and we could fix it all  :-D

Buck87

Quote from: frankenroad on February 15, 2017, 10:27:09 AM
Even better, IMHO, is that 23 should have been routed over the new expressway and then be multiplexed with 75 from Findlay to 475.  Current 23 could have been numbered 623 (the only x23 available, since there is a US-223, short though it is.) from Carey to US-20.   Or it could have been a southern extension of 420.

That makes it more straightforward for non-roadgeeks.   "Take 23 all the way from Columbus to Toledo."

Yeah, I agree that would be even better. And they could have left 15 where it was.

Totally forgot about US 223 entering Ohio.

sparker

Quote from: Buck87 on February 15, 2017, 10:46:52 AM
Quote from: frankenroad on February 15, 2017, 10:27:09 AM

Yeah, I agree that would be even better. And they could have left 15 where it was.

Or just extend 223 through Toledo (51/280/420) and let it take over current US 23 down through Carey.  Give US 223 a little more reason to exist in the first place (a real 2-state route). 

lepidopteran

Quote from: sparker on February 15, 2017, 06:32:13 PM

Or just extend 223 through Toledo (51/280/420) and let it take over current US 23 down through Carey.  Give US 223 a little more reason to exist in the first place (a real 2-state route).

Don't forget that US-223 did go through Toledo until about 1985.  It was Monroe St., now SR-51.  At Summit St. it turned left, and I think it kept the designation at least as far as I-280 near the Craig Memorial Bridge (drawspan edition).  Hmmm...

thenetwork

Quote from: lepidopteran on February 15, 2017, 06:35:27 PM
Quote from: sparker on February 15, 2017, 06:32:13 PM

Don't forget that US-223 did go through Toledo until about 1985.  It was Monroe St., now SR-51.  At Summit St. it turned left, and I think it kept the designation at least as far as I-280 near the Craig Memorial Bridge (drawspan edition).  Hmmm...

You are correct.  Same time as when SR- (former US-) 25 and US-24 flipped their alignments northeast of Maumee, with SR-25 now going into downtown and ending at I-280 via the Greenbelt Parkway, and SR-120 turning south at Cherry Street and ending downtown instead of at I-280.

Then again, US-68 once ran all the way north to Downtown Toledo as well....

Buck87

75 around Lima is really nice now that the rebuild project is completed. Just too bad they couldn't justify the extra $40M it would have taken to 6 lane it while they were there.

They did widen it enough to install a median, and a result it's now posted as 70mph.

frankenroad

Quote from: Buck87 on February 16, 2017, 12:07:29 PM
75 around Lima is really nice now that the rebuild project is completed. Just too bad they couldn't justify the extra $40M it would have taken to 6 lane it while they were there.

They did widen it enough to install a median, and a result it's now posted as 70mph.

I was disappointed to see that they did not make the bridges wide enough to accommodate another lane when they rebuilt them.   Seems short-sighted to me.

lepidopteran

Quote from: Buck87 on February 16, 2017, 12:07:29 PM

Who remembers when there was a large RR bridge over I-75 in Lima?  I seem to recall it had tight embankments on either side which would have prevented widening to 6 lanes at that point.

The railroad, which was located a little south of where the Sam's Club is now, was abandoned circa 1983, but I think the bridge remained for several years after.  Not sure when the bridge was finally dismantled, though I suspect it was sometime in the '90s.  The tracks were part of the Erie-Lackawanna's "West End", a high-quality mainline that ran from Marion, OH to Chicagoland (or at least as far as Hammond, IN).  Most railfans agree that it was abandoned only because it never became part of Conrail; to be fair, there was a lot of rail redundancy in the area.

Buck87

Just saw on the Toledo news that the project in Findlay is getting underway today.

okroads

Quote from: Buck87 on March 20, 2017, 06:17:09 PM
Just saw on the Toledo news that the project in Findlay is getting underway today.

I drove I-75 through Findlay in both directions on Sunday and noticed tree clearing was already underway at that time.

Buck87

JustMePatrick

UPDATE:

In the Last Couple of Weeks Northbound Traffic Between US 224 and County Road 99 in Findlay was shifted to the southbound side.  Currently 2 lanes in each direction occupy the southbound side.    The exits from NB 75 to US 224 and from US 224 to NB 75 closed at the same time for reconstruction. All lanes North of US 224 are slated for completion by late fall with final blacktop next year.

Construction continues for the new flyover ramp from SB 75 to SR 15/ US68 and Lima Avenue. The Bridge over the railroad tracks is nearly complete with the parapet walls having recently been set.  Currently the beams flying over 75 are being set. The Flyover ramp is slated to be open by sometime in September of this year (2018).

Lanes on the Southbound side From SR 15/ US 68 to US 224 are being prepped to move the Northbound Lanes over to the Southbound side.

In September Lima Ave in Findlay will close for 1 year for the reconstruction of that interchange and the construction of a roundabout.   

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LFcupd9fu9maJTH4A Photo is captured from the OHGO (ohgo.com) at the SR 15/ US 68 / Lima Ave. Interchange.

I drive this route to work daily it's fun to see the changes and progress. In Sept. I get to find a different route to work :sombrero:.

No sooner than I post this and ODOT posts an update: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D01/PlanningPrograms/Projects/hancock75/Project%20Updates/Interstate%2075%20lanes%20shift%20tonight,%20bridge%20beam%20setting%20to%20affect%20traffic%20next%20week.pdf

Summary, I mention the lane shifts above from 68 to 224, that occurs tonight.   Next week they will continue to set beams over 75 for the fly over ramp. 

Buck87

Thanks for the update and welcome to the forum.

Buck87

A project related to I-75:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D02/newsreleases/Pages/I-75-at-Wooster-StSR-64-Interchange-Project-Announcement.aspx

At the OH 64 interchange in Bowling Green (right next to BGSU's campus) ODOT is replacing the signalized ramp intersections with roundabouts and rehabilitating the bridge over I-75

westerninterloper

Quote from: Buck87 on September 10, 2018, 09:02:25 PM
A project related to I-75:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D02/newsreleases/Pages/I-75-at-Wooster-StSR-64-Interchange-Project-Announcement.aspx

At the OH 64 interchange in Bowling Green (right next to BGSU's campus) ODOT is replacing the signalized ramp intersections with roundabouts and rehabilitating the bridge over I-75

There are quite a few roundabouts under construction in the Toledo area; one just opened on Manhattan Ave; another on Berdan; and one at the south end of the Waterville bridge. This BG project will be good for traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.