Request-signage pictures of NB I-5 San Onofre Border Patrol check point

Started by jpm, April 19, 2018, 09:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpm

Does anyone here have pictures of the old overhead signs at the San Onofre Border Patrol checkpoint on NB I-5?  The current one is an electronic display, but decades ago (?1990's) there was a large black sign at the checkpoint instructing traffic to stop.  It was mechanically operated, with the display flipping over to display nothing (black background) if the checkpoint wasn't in use.

Many thanks,

jpm

theroadwayone

That, and the leftmost lane NB is closed for whatever reason. Any signage of it when it was open? I've had to go by it every time I've been to the OC.

MarkF

Quote from: theroadwayone on April 20, 2018, 07:11:52 PM
That, and the leftmost lane NB is closed for whatever reason. Any signage of it when it was open? I've had to go by it every time I've been to the OC.

That was the "PAL Lane" that closed in 2006:
https://www.ocregister.com/2006/03/14/border-patrol-ends-pal-program/

Wish I had photos of the old checkpoint, I recall they usually coned off two lanes and just had a Border Patrol officer standing behind a stop sign waving people through, with a BP vehicle (its red lights flashing) parked to the right in one of the closed lanes.  This was under a sign bridge with black overhead signs:
STOP HERE
U.S. OFFICERS
with flashing red lights on each side.  As noted before, these overheads were mechanical and flipped the display to blank when the checkpoint was down.

theroadwayone

Quote from: MarkF on April 21, 2018, 02:01:51 AM

Wish I had photos of the old checkpoint, I recall they usually coned off two lanes and just had a Border Patrol officer standing behind a stop sign waving people through, with a BP vehicle (its red lights flashing) parked to the right in one of the closed lanes.  This was under a sign bridge with black overhead signs:
STOP HERE
U.S. OFFICERS
with flashing red lights on each side.  As noted before, these overheads were mechanical and flipped the display to blank when the checkpoint was down.
I found some photos of that on Google Images.

jpm

Tried looking on google images yesterday, but couldn't find the old style.  Any hints at keywords you were using?

MarkF

I Googled "san onofre border checkpoint", went to images, and found a 1969 picture of the checkpoint that linked to here:
https://www.ocregister.com/2013/08/16/border-station-is-more-than-checkpoint/

Lots of drugs busts in the images.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.