News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Smugmug Acquires Flickr

Started by US71, April 20, 2018, 10:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on April 20, 2018, 10:06:00 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2018/04/20/smugmug-buys-flickr-verizon-oath/537377002/

My photos are on Flickr. I hope they don't make any major changes.

I'm using Flickr as a third backup.  I have an older computer I use as a data drive and a bunch memory sticks as my primary backups.  Hopefully they don't pull a Photobucket and ruin things. 

Scott5114

I hope they fix Flickr's user interface so it doesn't leak memory like a sieve.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 20, 2018, 11:02:28 PM

I'm using Flickr as a third backup.  I have an older computer I use as a data drive and a bunch memory sticks as my primary backups.  Hopefully they don't pull a Photobucket and ruin things. 

I agree and don't forget then Imageshack did a Photobucket of its own as well.

cjk374

I must have joined Flickr after all of their major problems were resolved.

And Smugmug sure talks a happy-go-lucky politico type talk. I am scared now.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

US71

I have too many photos to move, unless they'd let me download en masse.  I'm going to wait and see for now.

abefroman329

Are they calling it Flugmug or Smickr?

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 22, 2018, 01:26:58 PM
Are they calling it Flugmug or Smickr?

Right now, they seem to be keeping both names.

hotdogPi

I didn't realize it before, but Flickr was previously owned by Verizon; it was not an independent company. This makes me a little less worried, as it's now part of a smaller company, not a larger one.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

US71

Quote from: 1 on April 22, 2018, 02:28:48 PM
I didn't realize it before, but Flickr was previously owned by Verizon; it was not an independent company. This makes me a little less worried, as it's now part of a smaller company, not a larger one.

Verizon bought Yahoo which owned Flickr, then sold off the parts they didn't want.

US71

I received an official announcement just now in my e-mail

We're excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.

SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we'll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug's Terms and Privacy Policy.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.

We're happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.
Thanks,
The Flickr Team

I don't see anyplace to mass download my photos, so I guess I'm stuck.

okc1

Just where is the Flickr Blog?
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

US71

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on April 23, 2018, 09:00:39 AM

We're excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.

SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we'll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug's Terms and Privacy Policy.

We're happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.
Thanks,
The Flickr Team

I believe you can download albums in one shot.  I just bought myself a third backup harddrive the other day, I'm getting a little leery this is heading towards having pay to download your own photos. 

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 23, 2018, 09:42:33 AM

Thanks,
The Flickr Team

I believe you can download albums in one shot.  I just bought myself a third backup harddrive the other day, I'm getting a little leery this is heading towards having pay to download your own photos. 

Most of my stuff is burned to CD, but I have a few on my computer I still need to save

hbelkins

Thanks,
The Flickr Team

There are some mass download utilities available. I posed that question a few years ago somewhere (Facebook probably) and got some responses. Of course, I'm on a Mac, so that would probably make a difference.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Chris

Smugmug only offers paid subscription plans: https://www.smugmug.com/plans

Flickr used to have paid subscription plans, but the Yahoo acquisition got rid of the paid plans, as personal data collecting was apparently a better business plan. Flickr reintroduced optional paid plans, basically only to get rid of ads - which any adblocker will achieve too - and to get statistics. It is my impression that quite a number of users actually opted for a paid subscription, even if it wasn't really necessary if you're not into statistics.

This makes me wonder if Smugmug will force people into a paid subscription plan, like the Photobuckets of this world. I have over 40,000 photos on Flickr so I would be open to a paid plan if the rates are reasonable (max $ 50 per year).

AsphaltPlanet

Just reading this thread made me wonder.  Do people maintain local copies of their images even after uploading to flickr (or something else?)  I don't upload much of my image collection, but I maintain a local copy (and backup) of everything.  I'm curious what others do.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

oscar

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 24, 2018, 11:32:54 AM
Just reading this thread made me wonder.  Do people maintain local copies of their images even after uploading to flickr (or something else?)  I don't upload much of my image collection, but I maintain a local copy (and backup) of everything.  I'm curious what others do.

I likewise make local copies of everything, and backups of those files as well as others on my system. The local copies came in handy when my ISP stopped offering free user web space, and I had to move the files on that space to one of my other web spaces.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

abefroman329

Almost all of the pictures I take these days are with my iPhone, and I only upload them to iCloud because it saves space on my phone.  I suppose there's a way to save them to my laptop or netbook, but none of these photos are priceless.  Between iCloud and my iPhone backing up to iTunes every night, I think I'm covered.

hbelkins

Yes. My process is that I copy from my camera to my MacBook Pro, then immediately run a Time Machine backup. I run the photos through iPhoto to make small edits, then export those pictures into new folders, and then immediately run another Time Machine backup. I also copy both the original photos and the iPhoto-edited pics onto an external drive.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

I keep copies of everything I upload even after I post to Flickr.

Chris

I too have my collection on Flickr, on my computer and on an external drive.

I don't see myself moving 40,000+ photos to another service. That would require an extreme amount of work to re-upload, re-tag and re-order everything. In addition, they are hotlinked on several internet forums, which would create a problem similar to what we see with Photobucket, and previously, Imageshack.

I also use imgur for quick uploads to internet forums. I hope imgur doesn't end up the same way as imageshack. Apparently imgur is heavily used by reddit users, which may give it some credentials to stay around. Image hosting costs a ton of money and advertising doesn't generate that much revenue for such services.

formulanone

I back up everything that gets uploaded. I periodically make backups of the backups.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.