AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Elgin-O'Hare Tollway  (Read 111664 times)

ET21

• Last Login: October 19, 2018, 03:14:57 PM
Re: Elgin-O'Hare Tollway
« Reply #525 on: March 21, 2018, 12:26:32 PM »

Has anyone been following the recent O'Hare expansion news? It seems they are going to build a new western screening/parking facility in the upcoming expansion with access from the new York Road ramp they are building as part of the EOWA. The facility will initially be for employee's only, but will eventually expand to include passengers in Phase 2 (which will come when O'Hare hits 100 million passengers). At that point, they may include ramps into the facility from the actual IL-390/I-490. Details can be found in the following document.

https://chicago.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=5865932&GUID=47615DD9-B4CF-4C80-974F-DACB35050FA0 (Warning, this is a 300+ page document, so it may take a bit to load).

Thoughts?

All depends if CN will continue to be bitches and not let them build over their trains. Otherwise they have everything pretty much set to expand, and have been moving dirt the last 2 months getting ready to start up 490
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where your going, without forgetting where your from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

abefroman329

• Old fat fucks ruin everything.

• Last Login: Today at 01:37:09 PM
« Reply #526 on: March 22, 2018, 02:12:30 PM »

Anything that unclogs I-190 would be great.

edwaleni

• Last Login: October 22, 2018, 07:54:48 AM
« Reply #527 on: April 11, 2018, 12:43:08 PM »

Has anyone been following the recent O'Hare expansion news? It seems they are going to build a new western screening/parking facility in the upcoming expansion with access from the new York Road ramp they are building as part of the EOWA. The facility will initially be for employee's only, but will eventually expand to include passengers in Phase 2 (which will come when O'Hare hits 100 million passengers). At that point, they may include ramps into the facility from the actual IL-390/I-490. Details can be found in the following document.

https://chicago.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=5865932&GUID=47615DD9-B4CF-4C80-974F-DACB35050FA0 (Warning, this is a 300+ page document, so it may take a bit to load).

Thoughts?

All depends if CN will continue to be bitches and not let them build over their trains. Otherwise they have everything pretty much set to expand, and have been moving dirt the last 2 months getting ready to start up 490

Its actually CP Rail. Canadian Pacific.

CP isnt totally to blame here. There are some other issues in play.

IDOT wants CP to help pay for a new bridge over 290 so they can widen tbe approaches to the EOH.  Also IDOT wants to erect a temp bridge which CP vehemently objects too. With CP having predecessant rights, IDOT should pay 100% for a new bridge. The law supports that.

The other issue is that ISTHA doesnt want all air rights over CP Bensenville Yards, (like 294 has) they want condemn parts of it for their use. CP being a rail carrier with predecessor rights on the land technically cant be condemned by the state for land acquisition being regulated at the federal level by the STB.

Usually the state offers to pay for any relocations due to any large public needs. Just look at the UP reroute around OHare that was done in the 1950's when it was CNW.

But CP says they (ISTHA) should offer market rates if they are serious about the land instead of going cheap with an condemnation suit.

So yes, CP are holding things up, when you see why, you see that some planner at ISTHA should have gotten his ROW issues with CP agreed too up front before breaking ground. A clear duh moment and a sign of some hubris at ISTHA.

ET21

« Reply #528 on: April 11, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »

I'll throw this in here too, from Illinois Tollways Thread:

Looks like we have some action in terms of I-490/390. Sound barriers have begun to go up along York Road on the west side of the road and demarcations of ramp extensions have started to get outlined with some land leveling for roadway/piers

Clinched:

dvferyance

• Last Login: October 17, 2018, 04:58:43 PM
« Reply #529 on: May 01, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »

Looks like we have some action in terms of I-490/390. Sound barriers have begun to go up along York Road on the west side of the road and demarcations of ramp extensions have started to get outlined with some land leveling for roadway/piers
Is 490 going to overlay York Rd in the same way 390 did to Thorndale?

Joe The Dragon

• Last Login: Today at 08:19:46 AM
« Reply #530 on: May 01, 2018, 01:15:33 PM »

Is 490 going to overlay York Rd in the same way 390 did to Thorndale?
no

Revive 755

• Last Login: October 22, 2018, 10:42:06 PM
« Reply #531 on: May 01, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »

The Google Earth Imagery has been updated for parts of Chicagoland.  It would appear there may be some grading for the future I-490 main lanes east of York Road.  Also looks like there may be a couple stubs on IL 19 for future ramps - one near the Cargo Road stoplight, another near the railroad overpasses.

ET21

« Reply #532 on: May 02, 2018, 08:21:37 AM »

The Google Earth Imagery has been updated for parts of Chicagoland.  It would appear there may be some grading for the future I-490 main lanes east of York Road.  Also looks like there may be a couple stubs on IL 19 for future ramps - one near the Cargo Road stoplight, another near the railroad overpasses.

They've been working on grading east of York Road for a good 3 months now, and just started to do some more digging on the west side of York within the last month.

Clinched:

edwaleni

• Last Login: October 22, 2018, 07:54:48 AM
« Reply #533 on: May 07, 2018, 07:20:10 PM »

Here is an update from the other side of the dispute (via Trains website)

CHICAGO – One year ago, the Surface Transportation Board urged mediation to resolve a longstanding dispute between Canadian Pacific and Illinois officials over access to CP’s Bensenville Yard. These days, both sides are still talking without outside help.

In a joint letter to the federal regulators dated May 1, attorneys for CP and the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority say they want at least until June 7 to continue talks before participating in board-sponsored mediation.

As of Friday, the STB had not responded, but the board has insisted in the past that such disputes “typically can be better resolved collaboratively by the private sector than by an imposed solution” by the agency.

A spokesman for CP says that the railroad believes “we are making progress.”

A Tollway spokesman says “positive conversations” are continuing with not only CP but with the City of Chicago on an agreement to allow the Tollway to cross the CP tracks to create western access into O’Hare without disrupting CP’s operations.

The two sides are fighting over the Tollway’s efforts to use part of the rail yard for a $3.4-billion highway project intended to enter nearby O’Hare International Airport from the west and skirt the airport’s western border.

Both had been negotiating access for four years until CP broke off talks in April 2016, saying CP and its subsidiary, Soo Line, “have no intention of selling any interest in this property,” according to a tollway filing with the STB.

The Tollway has asked the STB for a declaratory order clearing the way for it to condemn property in order to build a new toll road on bridges over CP’s rights-of-way and, eventually, through the Bensenville Yard.

CP argued that it will be “significantly and permanently damaged” by the toll authority’s efforts to force the railroad to grant easements on its right-of-way and enable construction of a new toll road over and, ultimately, through the rail yard.

Rick Powell

• Last Login: Today at 12:33:20 PM
« Reply #534 on: May 10, 2018, 11:24:10 PM »

One way or another, the Tollway and the railroad will settle up, and “who pays”, “how much” and “what design concessions are made” decided. Hopefully the two parties will work it out, but the STB process is there to back it up, and this won’t be the first tricky situation they have arbitrated in the Chicago area if it comes to that. Many readers here will remember the complex decision rendered by the STB in the CN purchase of the EJ&E. Some communities reached a voluntary agreement with the CN, while others continued to fight thru the STB process.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.