News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-70/71 Columbus Crossroads

Started by vtk, September 15, 2011, 04:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Here's a thread that should hopefully be around for a while.  This project aims to improve I-70 from Central Ave to Miller Ave, I-71 from Greenlawn Ave to I-670, and I-670 EB from Cleveland Ave to Joyce Ave, most notably including the I-70/71 overlap on the South Innerbelt. 

Columbus Crossroads main project website: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/7071/Pages/default.aspx (page layout a bit broken -- look for a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the content area...)
First phase (I-71 & I-670) website: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/71670/Pages/default.aspx
Columbus Dispatch article about start of construction and a nickname: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/09/15/road-project-name-now-up-to-voters.html (I actually don't quite like any of the finalist nicknames...)

I'll try to post more information as I catch it.  When I have time, I'll also try to come up with some roadgeeky illustrations derived from the various documents I've downloaded.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

vtk

Rendering of reconfigured I-71/670 interchange, from project website:

Revive 755

So WB I-670 is getting shifted south to follow the EB lanes?

I don't know about the proposed design; it just seems that it would be better to try to relocate EB I-670 northward to follow the WB lanes and try and then either try for a stack interchange, or downgrade the current EB lanes to provide for EB to SB and NB to WB movements.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 15, 2011, 10:12:07 PM

I don't know about the proposed design; it just seems that it would be better to try to relocate EB I-670 northward to follow the WB lanes and try and then either try for a stack interchange, or downgrade the current EB lanes to provide for EB to SB and NB to WB movements.

There's a couple a things askew with that image. There is no connection between I-71 NB to I-670 WB. On top of that, the "proposed" WB 670 just runs over the existing 71 NB to 670 WB connector (that somehow doesn't connect to 71 NB). The ramps from I-71 SB (and I-670 WB) to Leonard Ave/Cleveland Ave (Ft. Hayes) have disapeared too
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

thenetwork

Here is my question:  What is so bad about the current I-71/I-670 interchanges that they have to pour a quarter of a billion dollars to re-build it? 

I can name at least a half-dozen other major freeway interchanges in the state, plus about two dozen non-interchange improvement projects on freeways that are far more deserving (and older) than this one!

But I guess the folks at ODOT really want to spruce up the gateway to the misspending of Ohio tax dollars.

6a

It's my understanding that they are upgrading this end so that when the *real* work starts (70/71) this will be the alternate...almost sounded like the split would be closed.

vtk

Actually the opposite, but only temporarily.  In the final design as shown in the graphic, WB I-670 stays where it is, EB I-670 gets shifted slightly north overflying the ramps to/from Jack Gibbs Blvd (& Cleveland Ave), and the bridge occupying essentially the same space as current I-670 EB is a combination of I-670EB > I-71NB + Cleveland Ave > I-670EB.  That's not the current I-670 EB bridge, which cannot be retained due to its pier locations and the reconfiguring of I-71 below it. 

The changes to I-670 EB are a correction to a flawed design from the 1990s, and are probably only justified because the reconfiguration of I-71 requires replacing that I-670 EB bridge anyway.

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 15, 2011, 11:01:33 PM
There's a couple a things askew with that image. There is no connection between I-71 NB to I-670 WB. On top of that, the "proposed" WB 670 just runs over the existing 71 NB to 670 WB connector (that somehow doesn't connect to 71 NB). The ramps from I-71 SB (and I-670 WB) to Leonard Ave/Cleveland Ave (Ft. Hayes) have disapeared too

The only thing "wrong" with that image is it needs some annotation.  (I'll try to do that soon.)  What you interpret as the proposed WB 670 is actually the new EB 670 as explained above in this post.  The connections between the North Innerbelt and East Innerbelt aren't well-portrayed in this image; if you could pan down, you'd see some braiding.  Finally, the ramp from SB I-71 to Cleveland Ave via Jack Gibbs Blvd is indeed gone, but the corresponding exit from I-670 WB is still there.

Quote from: thenetwork on September 16, 2011, 01:49:47 AM
Here is my question:  What is so bad about the current I-71/I-670 interchanges that they have to pour a quarter of a billion dollars to re-build it?

This project isn't really about the I-71/670 junction.  It's about reconfiguring and modernizing I-71, with some improvements to I-670 as a "while we're at it, we might as well..." kind of deal.  As additional projects kick in over the next several years, the downtown portions of I-70 and I-71 will be drastically reconfigured, modernized, and made more safe.  As another "while we're at it" deal, neighborhoods will be reconnected and the corridor will be beautified.

Quote from: 6a on September 16, 2011, 03:51:09 AM
It's my understanding that they are upgrading this end so that when the *real* work starts (70/71) this will be the alternate...almost sounded like the split would be closed.

Actually, at least for EB traffic, the current 71/670 interchange would work better as an alternate to I-70 than the reconfigured one.  I think when they get to the nitty gritty of the South Innerbelt, through traffic will probably be maintained as two lanes each way and no exits.

6a

This kinda shows what's going on (skip to page 121.)  You can see the braiding mentioned as well as the new exits from 71.  Actually you can see the whole project if you scroll down lol.  It does appear the exit from WB 670 to NB 71 will stay as is.

The entire project is surrounded by historic properties.  The thing in the middle is Ft. Hayes which from what I can tell can't have a pebble disturbed.  I'd imagine there just isn't room to do a northward shift.

vtk

Here's my annotated version of that pictorial rendering:

Quote from: 6a on September 17, 2011, 12:32:28 PM
It does appear the exit from WB 670 to NB 71 will stay as is.

Technically, it will be moved about 50 feet southward of the current I-670 EB lanes, and more noticeably, it will become a right-side exit.

6a

Quote from: vtk on September 17, 2011, 12:44:19 PM
Technically, it will be moved about 50 feet southward of the current I-670 EB lanes, and more noticeably, it will become a right-side exit.

Isn't it right side now?  At any rate, do you have any maps or drawings showing the finished project?  I was bouncing around ODOT's site today and either I'm dumb or there is just too much bullshit and malarkey to wade through...I just can't seem to find anything showing the completed design.

vtk

Quote from: 6a on September 17, 2011, 04:44:02 PM

Isn't it right side now?  At any rate, do you have any maps or drawings showing the finished project?  I was bouncing around ODOT's site today and either I'm dumb or there is just too much bullshit and malarkey to wade through...I just can't seem to find anything showing the completed design.

Currently, on EB I-670 past Third and Fourth Streets, the left three lanes are all EXIT ONLY for I-71 SB, Broad St, and I-71 NB.  That's the I-670 design flaw I mentioned upthread which will be corrected by this project.  As far as complete designs, I don't have anything concise enough to just throw up on the forum in 2 minutes.  Actually, I can't seem to find a specific set of plans I thought I downloaded some time ago.  But I do intend to prepare more illustrations for this forum thread representing the information I have.  That includes first-stage (temporary) configuration for the first project, configuration on completion of the first project, and configuration on completion of all Innerbelt projects as currently designed.

6a

Quote from: vtk on September 17, 2011, 05:17:02 PM
Quote from: 6a on September 17, 2011, 04:44:02 PM

Currently, on EB I-670 past Third and Fourth Streets,

I was asking about 670 WB, but that was based on my not being able to read Hot Rod's post correctly. :pan:  As for plans, I have what I consider to be a fantastic rendering of things, but only for 70/71 and 71 north of 70.  I saw the same type of rendering for the west side and the 670 junction but didn't save it for some reason (and I have no idea where I found them.)

6a

ODOT twittered a link to the ODOT facebook page (and Jesus Christ my cat is going to be involved with social media next) but they put up before (L) and after (R) photos.  Of course they weren't the same size so I did a half assed job at matching them :cool:  Pretty sure you can click to make it bigger, I suck at flickr.  I know the after photos are posted above, I thought it was nice to see a side by side.

71-670 by halah1.geo, on Flickr

vtk

Here's my rendition of what Phase 1 of Project 1 is going to look like, based on the flyer on the project website about ramp closings:

Click for much larger version

Seriously, click to see the much larger version, as it shows much more than what can be shown directly in the forum.

Most notable:
* A whole lot of service ramps are closed.
* The system ramps from I-670 EB to I-71 SB and I-71 NB to I-670 WB ("through" on the Innerbelt) are closed.  These ramps will probably close early in the project, because of the dependencies outlined below.
* There's a "temporary" ramp from WB I-670 to Spring St, probably to make up for the closing of the Third St exit. I put "temporary" in quotes because it looks a lot like the eventual Lester Dr exit which will terminate at Spring St, but then again I had to guess at the actual geometry of this ramp.  I suspect construction of this temporary ramp won't begin until the Innerbelt through ramps are closed.
* EB I-670 is temporarily routed around the north side of Fort Hayes.  This probably won't happen until the "temporary" I-670 WB to Spring St ramp is open.
* The Neil Ave ramp to EB I-670 is immediately shunted to the exit to Fourth St (which terminates at Goodale St / Civic Center Dr), which cannot be accessed from EB I-670.  Essentially, this makes half of a split-diamond between EB I-670 and Neil Ave / Civic Center Dr.

I'm still not sure exactly when all this is going to start, but it should be fairly soon.  Obviously most of this phase will involve tearing things out, but I had expected more temporary pavement would somehow be involved.  If I'm right about that "temporary" ramp to Spring St, it will be interesting to watch construction of the first new pavement of the finished design take shape.

Edit 2011-10-06: updated map with observed I-71SB lane configuration, re-uploaded at more reasonable size, changed preview image
2011-11-16: updated map again, hopefully now shows all details correctly for phase 1

6a

Quote from: vtk on September 24, 2011, 09:50:37 PM
* There's a "temporary" ramp from WB I-670 to Spring St, probably to make up for the closing of the Third St exit. I put "temporary" in quotes because it looks a lot like the eventual Lester Dr exit which will terminate at Spring St, but then again I had to guess at the actual geometry of this ramp.  I suspect construction of this temporary ramp won't begin until the Innerbelt through ramps are closed.

I recall seeing something somewhere...possibly in the Dispatch that said basically what you're thinking.  They phrased it as something like "a temporary ramp to Spring that will be made permanent in the future."  The way they put it didn't make sense when I read it but now that you mentioned it that's most likely exactly what's happening.

vtk

Quote from: 6a on September 26, 2011, 03:21:45 AM
Quote from: vtk on September 24, 2011, 09:50:37 PM
* There's a "temporary" ramp from WB I-670 to Spring St, probably to make up for the closing of the Third St exit. I put "temporary" in quotes because it looks a lot like the eventual Lester Dr exit which will terminate at Spring St, but then again I had to guess at the actual geometry of this ramp.  I suspect construction of this temporary ramp won't begin until the Innerbelt through ramps are closed.

I recall seeing something somewhere...possibly in the Dispatch that said basically what you're thinking.  They phrased it as something like "a temporary ramp to Spring that will be made permanent in the future."  The way they put it didn't make sense when I read it but now that you mentioned it that's most likely exactly what's happening.

When I compare my phase 1 rendering (or the flyer upon which it was based) with the final design, there's a discrepancy in the topology and lane counts.  The bridge over the Innerbelt through ramps and south to Spring St probably will become part of the final Lester Dr exit; what's temporary is north of that bridge, specifically how I-670 feeds into it and I-71 doesn't.  Also, the configuration of the intersection at Spring St will certainly be different from the final design, though if done right this difference could amount to simply a final course of asphalt and restriping (plus signals and other traffic control devices, of course).

Hot Rod Hootenanny

You sure there is to be no access to the Mt. Vernon neighborhood? No access to Leonard Ave or even a left turn onto Spring St from I-71?  :hmmm:

vtk

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 26, 2011, 08:49:06 PM
You sure there is to be no access to the Mt. Vernon neighborhood? No access to Leonard Ave or even a left turn onto Spring St from I-71?  :hmmm:

I-71's NB exit to Leonard Ave and SB exits to Jack Gibbs Blvd and Spring St will definitely be closed in this phase of the project, according to the project website. 

The new Spring St ramp could theoretically allow left turns, but considering it's temporarily a ramp from only WB I-670, I don't think the demand for that turn would justify the extra conflict point in a construction zone. Of course, that's only my opinion and hunch – CH2M Hill and Kokosing may disagree with me and build that left turn after all.  The information available to me on this subject isn't terribly detailed.

By the way, construction starts this week.

vtk

I just found an earlier Dispatch article with some of the other suggestions for a project nickname: Roadwork Marked by Barrel of Laughs.  By the way, they apparently went with "Crawlumbus".

It looks like continuing updates can be found at the Dispatch's Crawlumbus blog.

vtk

Coverage on this is spotty, as it's a relatively minor change, but News Center 28 has just about cinfirmed what I've suspected for a few days now.  The lane configuration on SB I-71 coming into the Fort Hayes interchange will be adjusted.

At 5th Ave, previous configuration, left to right:
- Spring St LEFT EXIT ONLY
- I-71 South
- I-71 South or I-670 East
- I-670 West EXIT ONLY
New configuration:
- I-71 South
- I-71 South
- I-670 East EXIT ONLY
- I-670 West EXIT ONLY

This change should be complete by Wednesday morning.  It's pretty close to the final configuration too – I'll have to check my docs to see where the Lester Dr exit will fit in.

vtk

Alright, here I've pieced together what the Fort Hayes Interchange will look like when Project 1 is completed, including the temporary transition to the existing East Innerbelt:

Click for larger version

What I find interesting is that, on NB I-71 approaching Broad St, the lanes for I-71 NB and I-670 WB will be swapped – without any change to the roadway itself there or upstream.  Of course, barring some kind of funding disaster, there will be some work going on in the East Split Interchange by the time this swap occurs.

6a

I had a long post typed up because I couldn't figure out why there would be two sections of EB traffic and it hit me right before I hit post (exits to 71 :pan:) so I'll just leave my crappy pic here as a monument to my thick skull.

vtk

Quote from: 6a on October 07, 2011, 10:14:24 PM

I had a long post typed up because I couldn't figure out why there would be two sections of EB traffic and it hit me right before I hit post (exits to 71 :pan:) so I'll just leave my crappy pic here as a monument to my thick skull.

I'm sure once it's built, even some drivers will mistake that for (or perhaps misuse it as) an additional I-670 EB lane.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

"First" official article of the "Crawl-lumbus" series in the C-bus Dispatch, from Sunday.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/30/welcome-crawlumbus.html

vtk

According to @ODOT_Columbus and @Crawlumbus tweets, I-670 WB will this weekend lose its exit to 3rd St, but gain its temporary exit to Spring St.  I haven't really had a chance to get a close look, but I don't think they've started building the bridge yet for the Lester Dr exit over the Innerbelt through ramps.  To me this means the 2-lane ramp from I-670 WB to I-71 SB will enter I-71 SB physically, but will be separated by either a double-white line or a physical barrier on the existing bridge over the Innerbelt through ramps; then the two right lanes will (right lane mandatory, left lane optionally) make a sudden rightward swerve to exit at Spring St.  I'll update my graphic as soon as I can observe the new pattern.

Edit: yeah, that's what they did.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.