AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: I-70/71 Columbus Crossroads  (Read 99208 times)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• If I wasn't there, your roadmeet didn't occur

• Last Login: Today at 12:36:32 AM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
Re: I-70/71 Columbus Crossroads
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 08:28:26 PM »

The "temp" exit is from I-670 WB to Spring St. using the shoulder of I-670 EB. Don't know how ODOT is planning to accomplish the crossover of the EB lanes.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:40:05 PM by Hot Rod Hootenanny »
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• Last Login: March 02, 2024, 12:35:28 PM
    • vid the kid . info
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 10:34:12 PM »

^^ Yeah, that Dispatch graphic kind of sucks.

Here's the I-670 ramp to Spring St, highlighted in blue; forking from that are ramps to I-71 NB, Jack Gibbs Blvd, and I-71 SB, highlighted in orange:

I personally observed this today.  I was disappointed that the temporary ramp doesn't incorporate as much of the eventual Lester Dr exit as I'd previously predicted.

Here's the I-670 EB crossover, as observed:

Edit: lane counts and alignments corrected based on observations.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:37:54 AM by vtk »
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 10:52:57 PM »

I had to go to Grandview this afternoon, so I took the scenic route and followed I-71 all the way to I-70, then looped back north on 315.
So, yes, I-670 westbound gets first dibs on access to the "temp exit ramp" to Spring Street, WB.
Looks like the exit from I-71 SB to Leonard Ave/Ft. Hayes is staying around  :clap: (unlike what the "official" ODOT 3-D map shows)
As to Vid's complaints of "ugly" signs along I-71 (SB); besides the Oh 40 shield that was photographed earlier, the only other roadsign that looked "funny" was a brown tourist destination sign that had an oversized orange tab redirecting drivers to the Broad Street exit instead of Spring Street.
No hand drawn shields, no funky fonts, nothing ugly in my opinion.

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• vid the kid . info
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2011, 11:22:31 PM »

Looks like the exit from I-71 SB to Leonard Ave/Ft. Hayes is staying around  :clap: (unlike what the "official" ODOT 3-D map shows)

Quote from: ODOT
Permanent closure begins late October [or] early November 2011

That ramp has to go; it's in the way of the eventual ramp from I-670 WB to Jack Gibbs Blvd and Lester Dr.  Where it splits from mainline I-71 is where the eventual Lester Dr exit is going to branch off.  I'm really not sure how they're going to get there from the way it's set up now, but I guess that's why the project has multiple phases.  Hopefully, we'll have as much information about the next phases as we do about phase 1.

I suppose that Jack Gibbs Blvd ramp is convenient if you're trying to get to Fort Hayes, but more generally it's rather unnecessary; just exit at 5th Ave and go west to Cleveland Ave or east to St Clair Ave.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2011, 11:32:40 PM »

Quote from: ODOT
Permanent closure begins late October [or] early November 2011

That ramp has to go; it's in the way of the eventual ramp from I-670 WB to Jack Gibbs Blvd and Lester Dr.  Where it splits from mainline I-71 is where the eventual Lester Dr exit is going to branch off.  I'm really not sure how they're going to get there from the way it's set up now, but I guess that's why the project has multiple phases.  Hopefully, we'll have as much information about the next phases as we do about phase 1.

I don't care about quanity. I want quality.

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• vid the kid . info
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 05:00:34 AM »

Just something I noticed tonight with media coverage and terminology…

Columbus Crossroads is divided into 6 different projects, each covering a different freeway segment or interchange.  Each of these projects is divided into multiple phases, as necessary to perform the work without shutting down the freeway entirely.  The media sometimes refers to phases when they actually mean projects.  Currently, phase 1 of project 1 is getting started.

As far as quality vs quantity, a greater quantity of available information allows me to make better quality illustrations for the roadgeeks here, and identify graphics of poor quality, such as that Dispatch map illustrating the Spring St ramp in an implausible location.

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• vid the kid . info
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2011, 10:22:22 PM »

The crossover happened yesterday, and ODOT has tweeted that the Cleveland Ave to I-670 EB ramp will close tomorrow night.  That just leaves (IIRC) the closure of the I-71 to Leonard Ave ramp, and then the entire phase 1 traffic pattern will be in effect.

So as it turns out, the crossover is slightly different from how I drew it in my phase 1 diagram.  I'll redraw it when I get a chance, but like the other corrections I've made, it's only a minor change.

Edit – New video:
Let's Drive Crawlumbus #1 featuring I-670's temporary crossover configuration, as well as some poorly-aligned EXIT ONLY signs and a brief slowdown caused by drivers that didn't get the message…
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:17:40 AM by vtk »

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• vid the kid . info
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 12:00:02 AM »

Upcoming public meeting, jan 19:
[constantcontact.com url with ridiculously long query string]

The subject appears to be projects 2 and 3, specifically the (superficial) design of the new CD roads, and the bridges over the East Innerbelt.

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:08:03 PM
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 09:52:45 AM »

A bit off-topic, but I spotted this video of Columbus growth 1912-2011, we see how the highway network progressed.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 11:35:06 PM »

A bit off-topic, but I spotted this video of Columbus growth 1912-2011, we see how the highway network progressed.

Vidthekid (look above your post) put that animation together.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 10:00:41 PM »

Just when MORPC is starting to talk about spending on future highway projects, ODOT is threatening to cut back on spending.
I suspect the western part of the I-70/71 rebuild (i.e. "The west split" with 315) will be mothballed for a considerable amount of time.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/01/14/money-woes-may-gum-up-highway-projects.html

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• vid the kid . info
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 10:45:59 PM »

That's what I've been afraid of since they classified those parts Tier II, pushing the work back to at least the next funding cycle. More specifically, I'm afraid of what the South Innerbelt will look like in its half-upgraded "temporary" configuration.  ODOT has touted "walk-away phasing", but I'm still concerned about iffy transitional alignments, lane drops, and a WB/SB weave as bad a the current EB/NB weave.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 01:05:10 PM »

That's what I've been afraid of since they classified those parts Tier II, pushing the work back to at least the next funding cycle. More specifically, I'm afraid of what the South Innerbelt will look like in its half-upgraded "temporary" configuration.  ODOT has touted "walk-away phasing", but I'm still concerned about iffy transitional alignments, lane drops, and a WB/SB weave as bad a the current EB/NB weave.
Theres the possiblilty that this will make Spring-Sandusky's time frame look like an egg timer.

6a

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 02:33:17 AM
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 05:22:44 PM »

That's what I've been afraid of since they classified those parts Tier II, pushing the work back to at least the next funding cycle. More specifically, I'm afraid of what the South Innerbelt will look like in its half-upgraded "temporary" configuration.  ODOT has touted "walk-away phasing", but I'm still concerned about iffy transitional alignments, lane drops, and a WB/SB weave as bad a the current EB/NB weave.
Theres the possiblilty that this will make Spring-Sandusky's time frame look like an egg timer.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »

So after the I-71/670 rebuild, nothing else on this project will be started on till 2025 now?!?  Is it too late for ODOT to stop construction now, rebuild the ramps and bridges to what they were before they started tearing stuff down in the fall and leave well enough alone till they're ready to do everything in one fell swoop?
This makes the Spring-Sandusky project (I-670/US 33/Oh 315) look like a high school term paper.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/01/17/ODOT-pushes-back-phases-of-Downtown-reconstruction.html

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »

Here's the pdf from ODOT listing their funded (and non-funded) projects for the next year (and beyond)
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/trac/TRAC%20List/Recommended-DRAFT-TRAC-List-1-17-11.pdf

drrosenrosen

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 11:25:42 AM
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »

So after the I-71/670 rebuild, nothing else on this project will be started on till 2025 now?!?  Is it too late for ODOT to stop construction now, rebuild the ramps and bridges to what they were before they started tearing stuff down in the fall and leave well enough alone till they're ready to do everything in one fell swoop?
This makes the Spring-Sandusky project (I-670/US 33/Oh 315) look like a high school term paper.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/01/17/ODOT-pushes-back-phases-of-Downtown-reconstruction.html

This comes across to me as a total political move by Kasich's ODOT.  I can hear it now: "ODOT is out of money, and the only way to pay for these projects is a $5 billion lease from Macquarie-Cintra for the Turnpike".  Saying in 2012 that the government will do something in 2025 is laughably absurd... government doesn't work like that.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:26:25 AM by drrosenrosen »

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• vid the kid . info
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »

The configuration at Project 1's completion, with no other work done, won't have any obvious problems that I can see, with a net positive change from what was before.  It's fully funded still, so there's no reason to turn back as Hot Rod suggested.  We can only hope the conservatives will lose their death grip soon, and needed infrastructure improvements will get the proper funding.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 09:58:56 PM »

I wonder if ODOT/MORPC had wished to have this evening's meeting last week (or do the TRAC project announcement next week).
The primary focus from this evening's presentation on the I-71/70 project was the aesthetics of the "new" bridges to built over I-71 between I-670 and I-70 (aka phase 3 of the entire rebuild). Wide sidewalks, planters, a bike lane and space set aside for a "cap," (Along Spring St) if enough commercial interest can be found (so far, no).
The "elephant in the room" was address first thing, that being ODOT putting off phase 2 and 3 of the I-71/70 project for 13 years due to lack of state funds. The speakers present gave the same response their boss, Jerry Wrey, gave everyone earlier in the week (too many projects promised and no raises in state or federal funding).
Questions from the audience basicly stayed to the following theme; have all the suggestions, demands, requests, and compromises we've made (since work on this started in 2002) be for naught due to financial and time restraints?
That and the transplant from South Carolina who started asking questions about the Ohio Turnpike while his neighbor lamented about streetsweepers out in the Arena District on a rainy night.  :pan: :banghead:

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• vid the kid . info
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 05:09:57 AM »

Photos

All of these were taken Wednesday evening (25 Jan 2012).  Click on any image to view full-size version (1.6—2.5MB).

from Spring Street, looking north:

from Spring Street, looking south:

from Long Street, looking north:

from Long Street, looking south:

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2012, 11:25:57 PM »

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• vid the kid . info
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2012, 03:16:08 PM »

Local TV station's update on the I-71/670 rebuild
http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/apr/10/odot-starts-the-2012-construction-season-ar-995289/

All of the projects we can "expect this summer" according to that article have already been visibly progressing since last year.  The real news is found in Paving The Way's 2012 Glovebox Guide (apparently not released yet) and ODOT District 6's full project listing.

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• vid the kid . info
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2012, 07:17:49 PM »

I've noticed a difference between ODOT's design from the IMS and what's actually being built, though it's minor. Where I-71 NB bridges over the ramp to I-670 WB, the original design shows a bridge with conventional abutments perpendicular to the length of the bridge.  What they're actually building is a high-skew bridge with abutments parallel to the roadway below.  I guess it's another cost-cutting measure in the design-build process.  I think the high-skew design will look cleaner when it's done, anyway.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2012, 11:00:59 PM »

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/06/06/ODOT-panel-approves-road-project-delays.html
Part 2 (I-70/71 East split) will now start in 2020 instead of 2026 (or 2014)

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• vid the kid . info
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2012, 10:29:19 PM »

I hope that, in a few months when the schedule is revised again (hopefully reflecting safety and congestion issues) that related projects will be grouped closer together in time. I'd rather see I-70/71 completed in a timeframe like 2024—2029 than 2020—2035 or whatever they are currently saying it will be.

Or maybe Congress will come to its senses and pass a real highway bill, and they can start the next Crossroads project next year. (The odds of that happening are depressingly low…)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.